By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A lot of people should stop throwing around the words fanboy and troll.

Mummelmann said:
akuma587 said:
The terms are definitely thrown around too liberally. At least some of the true trolls and fanboys have been banned.

How the hell can I not have noticed you before?! Over 1000 posts! Sorry for ambling about nearly blind there akuma, this has never happended before. How long have you been a member?

I have probably been here for a year or so with an absence of a few months towards the end of last year.  I certainly don't draw attention to myself like some people (Soriku, Leo-J, etc.), so that may be the reason.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

funny , people are complaining about "stealth trolling" now , although a lot of them could be accused of doing so aswell including some mods

Words Of Wisdom said:
I agree, people should not use fanboy and troll so often. 

As an unrelated side note, the phrase "Attention Whore" should be used more often.

True Words of Wisdom

ClaudeLv250 said:

Legend11 said:
fkusumot said:
damkira said:

Its because Legend11's avatar has never changed that his posts have stuck in my mind and I can remember some of the more irrational anti-wii threads he created.

Nintendo is just as bad as Communism.

Miyamoto is old, and Nintendo will fail when he retires.

Piracy will destroy the DS.

The graphics in SSBB are good, therefore they must be CGI.

Surely, there are much more but those are the ones that have made a particular impression. Legend11 seems personally offended by the Wii's success but to me a troll only wants to disrupt a forum and I don't think that's his goal.

You forgot one of the best ones, to paraphrase:

Don't be suprised if SMG sucks, it's only 7 hours long.

At the time I made that thread there were many threads bashing some games by saying they were too short and some of them had people claiming ridiculous times that they finished the games in. I was using SMG to show people how ridiculous some of those threads were when they involved racing through a game and ignoring collectables or other things in the game.

No, you really weren't.

I also remember you being one of the main people trumpeting that SMG failed at launch. How much is it at again? 5.5 million in 3 months?

It's amazing that you've probably got more trolling under your belt than Hus, Killzone3/GranTurismo and Blue3 and yet you constantly get away with it. As long as I've been here I've never seen you banned. I mean, I know it's stealth trolling but no one is that stupid not to see it after all these months.

The thing is, he very seldom steps over the line into outright flamebaiting. He is very good at spreading FUD information without actually trolling.

That said, Legend11, why bother denying you're a 360 fanboy?  It's not bad to be a fanboy like it is to be a troll, and anyone who knows you knows that it's obvious you're a 360 fanboy who happens to be able to have more restraint than the average bear fanboy.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

DMeisterJ said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
I agree, people should not use fanboy and troll so often.

As an unrelated side note, the phrase "Attention Whore" should be used more often.

True Words of Wisdom

I'll agree with that   8)

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Also, my reasons for hating Jaffe have nothing to do with his comments about Miyamoto, instead they are related to his general attitude, his beliefs, and his actual game development. The Miyamoto apology was just the last straw in a long line of last straws.

so... one reason you hate Jaffe is because he developes games for Sony?? Wow, I'm speechless.

I never said that. I've told you I don't hate on any system, I just love my Wii. Jaffe's games would not be too my tastes, no matter which system they were released for.

It's amazing to me that you, and Legend, completely ignore my posts when they prompt you to yourself say, wheather or not you like the Wii, which you don't, yet you attempt to quote me when nothing negative to your argument can be found. Why haven't you responded to my questions about which system you find the least appealing?

Now, you say "Wii owners use the term Wii-hater as an excuse." I ask, as an excuse for what? That terminology implies that the Wii needs an excuse, and for what? Negative press. However, the entire point of implying you don't like the Wii, isn't to marginalize your opinions, its to state an assumption that you refuse to deny, based upon your posting history which is without a doubt anti-Wii.

I'm sure, that once you read this, you'll just fail to post again and pretend like this topic died, because you're very smart compared to the average Wii-hater, and have no moral qualms about attempting to appear unbiased when presenting your "news". However, you should have known that with the frequency of your biased against, not for, a system, your efforts would soon be sniffed out by the more astute posters.

You're asking us not to lable you. I wouldn't dare lable anyone. Their posting history does that for them, regardless of their intentions.

You, and Legend never post anything positive about the Wii, you consistantly post negative news and sometimes commentary about the Wii that, too Wii fans, is sometimes frusterating.

Instead of criticizing everyone for criticizing you about what you do, why not simply stop doing it. The only thing you'll lose is the obvious joy you get at bringing bad news to Wii fans.

I would expect no less harsher a treatment if I posted every negative piece of PS3 news as soon as I could get my hands on it.

You can't and won't deny you post negative Wii news often, you can't and won't deny the Wii is your third choice console, and you can't and won't deny that you don't like the direction the Wii is taking the gaming industry.

Yet you complain heavily when people marginalize your posts as the daily fix of a fetishist Wii fanboy torturer.

I call bullshit on this post and everyone who is defending its subjects.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Welp, didn't think I could get a response, figured that might even end the thread, well, let me give it a boost:

Either way, this post is good for Wii fans. Even the subject name is passive-agressive. "Some people" is a passive-agressive term, which allows you to rant all day about the ideals without having to actually call anyone out, which is good, considering the nature of your complaints in this particular post.

What will the end result be?

You've now concreted the possiblity that yourself and KoW(which I admit I had a part in bringing into this conversation) are in fact people who don't necessarily like the Wii or Nintendo.

All of your posts, now and in the future, will be seen by every poster in this topic, in that light. People will know that you have been accused of not liking the Wii, and look for any reasons available in your posts to bring it up.

"It's posts like that, that make people think your a Wii-hater"

or

"This guy is an anti-Wii fanboy, look at this post about it /link"

Believe it or not, not all posters are knowledgable of your antics and took your posts marginally seriously, as if perhaps you were simply a Wii fan that was dissapointed in todays news, when perhaps tomorrow, you might post something positive. You've now blown that assumption. You took this alligation mainstream.

Now you'll get called out everytime.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

If you guys look carefuly, you will notice that it's always the people who aren't Wii fans that are getting called trolls. Now, I am not accusing the mods of being bias or playing favorites. I do, however, feel that the Nintendo fans are way to sensetive over the slightest criticism, regardless of if it's valid or not. As stated by the mods, it does not matter if a persons post had malicious intent or not. Instead, all it takes is someone to get pissed of over it. Nintendo fans will be upset over the smallest thing, and then they will proceed to report you. Thus, users are being banned and warned simply for voicing an opinion. It should not be this way, because then it will only result in bullshit bans. No justice will be served, which defeats the whole purpose in even having the mods around.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

akuma587 said:
Mummelmann said:
akuma587 said:
The terms are definitely thrown around too liberally. At least some of the true trolls and fanboys have been banned.

How the hell can I not have noticed you before?! Over 1000 posts! Sorry for ambling about nearly blind there akuma, this has never happended before. How long have you been a member?

I have probably been here for a year or so with an absence of a few months towards the end of last year. I certainly don't draw attention to myself like some people (Soriku, Leo-J, etc.), so that may be the reason.

That might explain it then, I've not been a member for very long (august 07).

RolStoppable said:

Graphics comparison between Galaxy and Sunshine.

Does Nintendo get too much credit for saving the videogame industry?

Chief editor of Play Magazine says Nintendo is going to abandon the core gamer market.

David Jaffe: "Ratchet & Clank is a better game than Super Mario Galaxy." 

Want to know something funny about the Galaxy vs. Sunshine thread?  It came along after several Halo 2 vs. Halo 3 graphic comparison threads in which almost nobody saw anything wrong but the moment I posted the same thing about Super Mario Galaxy suddenly many people were angry.  Add to that the fact that I was just reporting on a video on Gametrailers.com that was starting to get a lot of attention.