By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evidence for the existence of God

Kasz216 said:
CrashMan said:
I never argued that A god can't logically exist, just that a CHRISTIAN (and Jewish/muslim) god can't exist.

So you agree, while you think the christian god doesn't exist... (or atlest isn't just like he is in the bible.) 

the odds are such where it is almost a mathmatic certaintiy that there is in fact a god of some kind for our universe.

he did not say that odds were in favor of a god he said that he wouldn't deny the possibility of a god existing. He just emphasized the point that if god were to exist he doubts it woudl be exactly liek the jeudo-christian one. I don't like slippery slopes.

Around the Network
Andir said:
Grey Acumen said:

My issue with andir is that he says "all I'd need is for him to show up" Well, maybe he already has. Were you listening properly, do YOU know what God looks like? You don't want to accept god as existing, so how are you supposed to recognize god when he says anything. Are you seriously claiming that some guy in a white robe and a beard with glowing skin who happened to have good info on you would convince you that God existed? You wouldn't wonder people have different colored skin if they're supposed to be created in his image, you wouldn't wonder why he spoke a specific language? Forgive my disbelief

If God were all knowing and powerful, he would know what I think he looks like and present himself in a manner that would fit my image of him and speak in a language that I could understand. I thought that was obvious.

Or are you suggesting that even though God is completely powerful and omniscent, that he cannot tell what I'm thinking? If that's the case, then how would he hear silent prayer? How would he tell if you really meant to do something or you are lying to him when you ask for forgiveness?

And just what makes you think that youre view of what god should be like is correct? So not only do you want god to be a psychic genie and pop up whenever you want him to, he also has to play dress up for you? Give me a break.

And good grief people, what the hell about free will don't you people get?! The choice is yours, just because God knows what your choice and all ramifications of that choice instantaneously does not mean free will is gone. You know how we have a thing called probability? 40% chance of one thing happening, 60% of something else, so on and so forth? Now imagine knowing the exact odds of EVERYthing that happens, and then on top of that, knwoing EXACTLY each path that can take place from each choice. EVERY SINGLE POSSIBILITY.

When we look to the future, we either don't know what will happen at all, or we have a few different scenarios that might happen. But imagine if you knew EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

God made a bet with the Devil about us. Wonder what it was about? =P

The BuShA owns all!

What you fail to grasp, Grey Acumen, is that for your God there can be no probablities, only absolute knowledge. If God looked at something and said, "hmm, there's a 64% chance of this happening and 36% chance that it won't and I don't know which way it will go beforehand" then he is not all-knowing. Therefore he knows everything in advance including having known everybody's sins before creating the Universe in such a way that those sins would happen.

Therefore all sin is his fault, QED.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

redspear said:
Kasz216 said:
CrashMan said:
I never argued that A god can't logically exist, just that a CHRISTIAN (and Jewish/muslim) god can't exist.

So you agree, while you think the christian god doesn't exist... (or atlest isn't just like he is in the bible.) 

the odds are such where it is almost a mathmatic certaintiy that there is in fact a god of some kind for our universe.

he did not say that odds were in favor of a god he said that he wouldn't deny the possibility of a god existing. He just emphasized the point that if god were to exist he doubts it woudl be exactly liek the jeudo-christian one. I don't like slippery slopes.

He looked at my arguement and said he just argues against a christian god.  That was his only comment.  Hence I'm asking him if he agrees.

If he or someone else disagrees.  I would like someone to in fact disagree and state their work on why said theory would be wrong. 

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
godf said:
"Basically it is logical to assume we are actually very close to havingthe ability to be able to recreate the universe and the people in it... or even more eaisly create different universes with sentient people."

?

I think you meant 'nuts' not 'logical'.

You can't deny that at some point in the future we could create a computer program like The Sims but with the people having a conscience rather than you controlling them.

Therefore it is possible that a more technologicaly advanced race than the Human race created the universe we live in. I do not consider the creator of the computer program a God, because there is nothing supernatural about it.

Why does god have to be Supernatural?

Because if a god isn't supernatural then you've just changed the definition.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Kasz216 said:
tombi123 said:
godf said:
"Basically it is logical to assume we are actually very close to havingthe ability to be able to recreate the universe and the people in it... or even more eaisly create different universes with sentient people."

?

I think you meant 'nuts' not 'logical'.

You can't deny that at some point in the future we could create a computer program like The Sims but with the people having a conscience rather than you controlling them.

Therefore it is possible that a more technologicaly advanced race than the Human race created the universe we live in. I do not consider the creator of the computer program a God, because there is nothing supernatural about it.

Why does god have to be Supernatural?

because thats what defines a God.

What!!!!! I don't think that native americans from New Mexico new Jesus Christ.

I'm a Catholic but c'on 

Kasz216 said:
CrashMan said:

Well, I am saying its logically impossible for a Christian god to exist (and therefor the bible is not divinely inspired, obviously)

However, I haven't seen any evidence of the existance of any god.  While I admit that, at pressent, I have not seen or thought of anything that makes ANY god logically impossible, I find it a horrible leap of logic to ASSUME the existance of god unless presented otherwise.

I would say its more likely that a god doesn't exist than does exist.  Of course, unlike a lot of people, I am open to opinions and facts from both sides to better understand the true nature of existance.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X