By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evidence for the existence of God

Final-Fan said:
Because if a god isn't supernatural then you've just changed the definition.

I disagree completely. 

Around the Network

^Oh yeah, what's your definition of God-because if God can defy the natural laws-then he's supernatural, hence the term super.

CrashMan said:
Kasz216 said:
CrashMan said:
I never argued that A god can't logically exist, just that a CHRISTIAN (and Jewish/muslim) god can't exist.

So you agree, while you think the christian god doesn't exist... (or atlest isn't just like he is in the bible.)

the odds are such where it is almost a mathmatic certaintiy that there is in fact a god of some kind for our universe.

Well, I am saying its logically impossible for a Christian god to exist (and therefor the bible is not divinely inspired, obviously)

However, I haven't seen any evidence of the existance of any god. While I admit that, at pressent, I have not seen or thought of anything that makes ANY god logically impossible, I find it a horrible leap of logic to ASSUME the existance of god unless presented otherwise.

I would say its more likely that a god doesn't exist than does exist. Of course, unlike a lot of people, I am open to opinions and facts from both sides to better understand the true nature of existance.

I just presented to you a very logical arguement on why it is mathematically probable there is a god. 

totalwar23 said:
^Oh yeah, what's your definition of God-because if God can defy the natural laws-then he's supernatural, hence the term super.

The guy who created our universe. If we believe in this logically likely computer god... He could defy our "natural" laws because he created them. Via his computer.

That would be "supernatural" to us. But in reality he is just opperating outside of our reality... while also able to effect our reality. 

He could copy and paste a bunch of fish, from one fish.

Simulate thousands of years in 7 days to speed up the process of creation...

pretty much pull off any miracle any religion says god has done. 

Kasz216 said:
totalwar23 said:

The guy who created our universe. If we believe in this logically likely computer god... He could defy our "natural" laws because he created them. Via his computer.

That would be "supernatural" to us. But in reality he is just operating outside of our reality... while also able to affect our reality.

Which is far as I know is how just about every religion see's there god.

Oh, the computer argument. Well, that's fine.

But that just opens more questions. Why is there only person? Why is it not an entire race outside our reality, our universe? Why couldn't it be a project simulation run by thousands of their scientists?  What makes them Godly? As far as i know, a lot of religions see the gods as wise and powerful creatures that will aid them with their troubles if they pray enough. If this is indeed a computer simulation, then all of the religions are really for naught. Okay, now I haven't the time to scroll through this entire thread so I don't know what's been said nor do I actually care that much. That being said, this is moot.

Around the Network

I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that it is "logically likely" that we are computer simulations.

Its just as "logically likely" that we are the most advanced beings that ever existed.

There is logical evidence for either so I don't know how you draw that conclusion, on which the rest of your argument is based.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
totalwar23 said:
Kasz216 said:
totalwar23 said:

That would be "supernatural" to us. But in reality he is just operating outside of our reality... while also able to affect our reality.

Which is far as I know is how just about every religion see's there god.

Oh, the computer argument. Well, that's fine.

But that just opens more questions. Why is there only person? Why is it not an entire race outside our reality, our universe? Why couldn't it be a project simulation run by thousands of their scientists? What makes them Godly? As far as i know, a lot of religions see the gods as wise and powerful creatures that will aid them with their troubles if they pray enough. If this is indeed a computer simulation, then all of the religions are really for naught. Okay, now I haven't the time to scroll through this entire thread so I don't know what's been said nor do I actually care that much. That being said, this is moot.

They created everything.

If thousands of sceintists created this world, i'd say they were all "gods" with the head god being the head of the project. Kinda like a Monotheism.

If this is a computer simulation, the religions may be for naught... or the researchers... or even some bored 17 year old who uses this world as Sim God and could answer peoples prayers, or cause them torment. Much how one of us might intentionally cause a tornado to our Sim City town.

This unvierse might be someones cell phone game for all we know. Or a RTS game where everyone created their own religion and now they're trying to see who wins. Who knows.

That's really unimportant.

Heck we could be a cellphone game, of a virtual person who is part of a universe that's a hand held game, that's a cellphone game or a reality thats an MMORPG.

Who knows.  Even if another fake virtual person created this universe.  I'd think he would in fact be god. 

CrashMan said:
I don't understand how you reached the conclusion that it is "logically likely" that we are computer simulations.

Its just as "logically likely" that we are the most advanced beings that ever existed.

There is logical evidence for either so I don't know how you draw that conclusion, on which the rest of your argument is based.

How is it as logically likely?  The fact that such technology could be achieved opens up a new equation where it is statistically likely that such a process has already been achieved.

If possible, then there are going to be many many "virtual" realities, yet only one "prime reality".

Our basis for believeing that we would be said "prime" reality would be based on nothing but vanity.  As it would be almost statistically impossible for this to be the case. 

Outside of the point where I don't know where you got your conclusion from, your point does not make the case for these people being gods, at least not in any sort of spiritual sense. They are creators of said existance, no doubt, but they are no more gods than the computer programmers who make video games.

These simulations would have no souls, a requisite of any spiritual being, nor could these creators give them souls, or an "after life," someplace they would go or an experience they would have seperate from their computer simulation.

They would in fact be automitons with no real control over their actions (they would be dictated by the computer's programming, ie Self Aware != free will) and would cease to exist out side of the context of the computer program.

These programmers could not effect that in any way, therefore, in my opinion, making them no more gods than I.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Outside of the point where I don't know where you got your conclusion from, your point does not make the case for these people being gods, at least not in any sort of spiritual sense. They are creators of said existance, no doubt, but they are no more gods than the computer programmers who make video games.

These simulations would have no souls, a requisite of any spiritual being, nor could these creators give them souls, or an "after life," someplace they would go or an experience they would have seperate from their computer simulation.

They would in fact be automitons with no real control over their actions (they would be dictated by the computer's programming, ie Self Aware != free will) and would cease to exist out side of the context of the computer program.

These programmers could not effect that in any way, therefore, in my opinion, making them no more gods than I.