By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evidence for the existence of God

Eomund said:
Israel is not on my radar. I do not know if they sponsor terrorism. I do not care if they do or if they do not. I support the state of Israel but it needs to survive on its own and it may not be able to do that without taking out leaders of other terrorist or such organizations. I will say no more about Israel because I do not know.

OK I have been busy. Today I do not believe that Israel sponsor terrorism. I do not that some in the goverment celebrate the terrorism that happened 50 years ago before Israel was a state the situation was the opposite. But to say you do not care if they do or not is a bizarre after your previous posts.

Around the Network
veiam said:
I don't know why I have to prove to you the non-existence of god. Every time a person comes up with a new idea he changes the status quo. He then has to prove his idea to everyone so that his idea becomes part of the status quo. Everyone else doesn't have to prove him wrong, he has to prove himself right. Same thing with religion. God and religion, even though they have been around a lot, are NOT the status quo. Each god and religion has been introduced by different people (Jesus, Mohamed, Buddha, w/e) but they, or their followers, have yet to prove that god DOES exist. Atheists/Agnostics/etc. don't have to prove shit. The burden is on the religious people to prove the existence of a god. So far the evidence provided is weak and full of holes. Therefore, I am nowhere near being convinced god exists, nor should any person with enough intellectual capacity (there are smart people who believe in God, but I blame their parents not them).

Another thing that annoys me about religion and god is the way it spreads. I can go ahead and tell you about my friend Joe. He's a great guy, amazing personality, always nice, etc. I can also get 100 more people to tell you the same thing. I'm sure you'd believe this Joe person exists and is a great guy and really nice and all that. But just because i told you so doesn't make him any more real, the fact is Joe does not exist, even if I had 1 billion people tell you he was real. Religion works the same way, based on trust. Children get their minds corrupted by the people they trust the most, their parents, and are shown to their church leaders and get their mind corrupted even more.

I find this the lowliest possible way of spreading any idea and/or opinion, targetting the children who will believe anything a person tells them. Because of this I view religion as a cancer on our world, only causing great division and wars (crusades, 30 years war, jihads, etc.) and also hindering VERY beneficial technologies( Stem Cells, Cloning to some extend too). I bet you that if from this point on no one ever told anything about a god to their children and let's say this lasts 150 years. Then I bet that religion and god will be non-existent and the human race will STILL progress forward. Meanwhile if you do the same thing with science, I foresee billions of people will dying. But it would be fine because we would still have God, right?

Isn't the status quo set by what most people believe? Most people believe there is some sort of god, though disagree which one is the case. Therefore you in fact would have to prove it as such.

There is also no proof that the existance of belief in a god didn't originate itself with consious thought.

fkusumot said:
senseinobaka said:
I'd like to comment on the topic and remain above the bitter fray between the believers and non-believers.

I feel there is plenty of evidence of God. Even the evidence that many would like to believe disproves God, I believe confirms his existence, like Science. I can never understand why scientist feel that their knowledge means god doesn't exist. It's an illogical leap. Evolution is a good example. The theory is an idea extrapolated from basically 1 fact, natural selection. The ability for organisms to adapt, change, and survive in changing circumstances doesn't mean god doesn't exist, it means he's a genius.

Well, since you're not a stupid teacher I feel compelled to ask you two questions. Would you live your life any differently if you knew for certain there was a god? And conversely, would you live your life any differently if you knew for certain there wasn't a god? There's no trap that I'm trying to imply in these questions, i.e., the epistemological considerations implied are absolute. Just wondering where you're coming from.

I wouldn't. Well if got specifically came and told me exactly what to be like i'd give it a shot. Actually I probably wouldn't, cause i've read too many stories and would think it might be Satan anyway. Sicne if got wanted me to act a certain way he could always just create me that way.

Still I'd probably try whatever in good faith assuming it didn't seem like it was hurting anyone.

Even then though who knows how it could effect people. Kinda like that one story where the guy trys to sell his soul for infinite money, but instead he just tells the guy he can't change his clothes, has to wear this ugly green jacket satan gives him and he can't shave for a year. That's a good story.

Anyway, the guy agrees of course, cause he's like "Infinite money and i don't go to hell? Score!" and finds out he can pull gold out of the jacket anytime he wants.

So one day he's walking around with his fat cash but no money, and he runs into this poor farmer and his three daughters, and the guy is like, literally about to lose his house to debtors. So the bearded guy, apparently being a nice guy aside from being willing to sell his soul for money pays the guys debts. The guy is happy and says he gets to marry one of his daughters. So he picks one of the three, and she's all sad cause she's going to have to marry this grizzly adams wanna be in an ugly green jacket who smells like cheese, and the two sisters make fun of her. He says he'll come back in a year.

So he builds up his fortune with his infinity gold, gets a sweet house, the year passes, he takes off the jacket, gets a nice suit, and a haircut and he goes back, and surprises her, and shows that he was the same guy, and takes the daughter away with him much to the chagrin of the 2 jealous women.

Guy wonders to himself why satan made the deal, hears a knock at the door, and says "Why would i want 1 soul when i could have 2... and he shows off the two sisters... who apparently hanged themselves due to being jealous over their sister marrying some rich handsome guy.

The story is full of all sorts of plot holes, but I find it a pretty funny story. The least of which being... even if you wern't going to sell your soul to the devil... i'd guess doing any sort of deal with satan would be considered a no no. Then you've got the fact that the two women just killed themselves, i guess because they were wrong when they thought their sister was going to marry some weird looking creepy guy are they really that jealous?  If so, what were the chances that they wouldn't be ending up in satan's backyard anyway?

Also, why wouldn't satan of just took his soul too? Then he could of had three souls.

Have you all forgotten what the Bible prophesied that the hearts of many would wax cold in the last days. Knowledge will be a big contributor to many peoples hearts waxing cold. Alot of people's God on this website is their "intelligence", which is deceiving them and they don't even realize it. We live in a world where the Devil is the prince of it. The Bible calls him the "Deceiver" Revelations refers to him as " the one who decieved the nations" Alot of you are following in your Father's footsteps (the devil). Why was he kicked out of heaven, because he rebelled against the authority of God and wanted to put His throne above God's. " I will ascend above the most high" And you here today are reflecting the same actions by putting yourself above God. Belittling Christians because you are "above our thinking". Because God is "beneath you", and it's only for the ignorant and unlearned and weak minded. But, he said in His Word the he uses the foolish things to confound the wise and the weak to overcome the strong. He his a revealer of secrets. No amount of this world's wisdom and understanding can obtain it. But it's only through the power of His spirit. For it is written "eye has not seen nor ear has heard nor has it entered into the heart of man, unless it be revealed by the spirit of God." (true wisdom and understanding) Paul said if you want to be wise, become a fool for Christ. Please seek him while it's still day, because night cometheth when no man shall be able to work.

In Him

senseinobaka said:
I'd like to comment on the topic and remain above the bitter fray between the believers and non-believers.

I feel there is plenty of evidence of God. Even the evidence that many would like to believe disproves God, I believe confirms his existence, like Science. I can never understand why scientist feel that their knowledge means god doesn't exist. It's an illogical leap. Evolution is a good example. The theory is an idea extrapolated from basically 1 fact, natural selection. The ability for organisms to adapt, change, and survive in changing circumstances doesn't mean god doesn't exist, it means he's a genius.

I agree that science and religion shouldn't be mutually exclusive. If a God did create the universe, then it would've had to create it to adhere to the scientific principles that govern it. However, what you said is more like your opinion rather than actual evidence. You can't say because science exists it's evidence a God created it. If there's Christmas presents under the tree it doesn't prove Santa put them there.

While we're talking about science and religion, let me throw this out there. All matter is made up of vibrating energy. At the beginning of the universe, all energy was condensed into a single point before the big bang. Essentially all matter is made up of the energy that came from that single point. Looking at creation like this, we can see that all things within the universe are connected and are fundametally the same at their most basic levels. I've heard Christians say that God is in all things. I like to look at this point of energy as "God" since all things came from it and all things are made from it. Just one idea of many.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
fkusumot said:

Well, since you're not a stupid teacher I feel compelled to ask you two questions. Would you live your life any differently if you knew for certain there was a god? And conversely, would you live your life any differently if you knew for certain there wasn't a god? There's no trap that I'm trying to imply in these questions, i.e., the epistemological considerations implied are absolute. Just wondering where you're coming from.

I wouldn't. Well if got specifically came and told me exactly what to be like i'd give it a shot. Actually I probably wouldn't, cause i've read too many stories and would think it might be Satan anyway. Sicne if got wanted me to act a certain way he could always just create me that way.

Still I'd probably try whatever in good faith assuming it didn't seem like it was hurting anyone.

Even then though who knows how it could effect people. Kinda like that one story where the guy trys to sell his soul for infinite money, but instead he just tells the guy he can't change his clothes, has to wear this ugly green jacket satan gives him and he can't shave for a year. That's a good story.

Anyway, the guy agrees of course, cause he's like "Infinite money and i don't go to hell? Score!" and finds out he can pull gold out of the jacket anytime he wants.

So one day he's walking around with his fat cash but no money, and he runs into this poor farmer and his three daughters, and the guy is like, literally about to lose his house to debtors. So the bearded guy, apparently being a nice guy aside from being willing to sell his soul for money pays the guys debts. The guy is happy and says he gets to marry one of his daughters. So he picks one of the three, and she's all sad cause she's going to have to marry this grizzly adams wanna be in an ugly green jacket who smells like cheese, and the two sisters make fun of her. He says he'll come back in a year.

So he builds up his fortune with his infinity gold, gets a sweet house, the year passes, he takes off the jacket, gets a nice suit, and a haircut and he goes back, and surprises her, and shows that he was the same guy, and takes the daughter away with him much to the chagrin of the 2 jealous women.

Guy wonders to himself why satan made the deal, hears a knock at the door, and says "Why would i want 1 soul when i could have 2... and he shows off the two sisters... who apparently hanged themselves due to being jealous over their sister marrying some rich handsome guy.

The story is full of all sorts of plot holes, but I find it a pretty funny story. The least of which being... even if you wern't going to sell your soul to the devil... i'd guess doing any sort of deal with satan would be considered a no no. Then you've got the fact that the two women just killed themselves, i guess because they were wrong when they thought their sister was going to marry some weird looking creepy guy are they really that jealous? If so, what were the chances that they wouldn't be ending up in satan's backyard anyway?

Also, why wouldn't satan of just took his soul too? Then he could of had three souls.

Great Caesar's ghost! Awesome post! But yeah, for some people it would make a difference, for others it wouldn't. It's kind of funny that you say you would doubt the knowability of god because of your ingrained suspiciousness when the situation I posited was one without doubt. Is your name Thomas?

chriscox1121 said:
Have you all forgotten what the Bible prophesied that the hearts of many would wax cold in the last days. Knowledge will be a big contributor to many peoples hearts waxing cold. Alot of people's God on this website is their "intelligence", which is deceiving them and they don't even realize it. We live in a world where the Devil is the prince of it. The Bible calls him the "Deceiver" Revelations refers to him as " the one who decieved the nations" Alot of you are following in your Father's footsteps (the devil). Why was he kicked out of heaven, because he rebelled against the authority of God and wanted to put His throne above God's. " I will ascend above the most high" And you here today are reflecting the same actions by putting yourself above God. Belittling Christians because you are "above our thinking". Because God is "beneath you", and it's only for the ignorant and unlearned and weak minded. But, he said in His Word the he uses the foolish things to confound the wise and the weak to overcome the strong. He his a revealer of secrets. No amount of this world's wisdom and understanding can obtain it. But it's only through the power of His spirit. For it is written "eye has not seen nor ear has heard nor has it entered into the heart of man, unless it be revealed by the spirit of God." (true wisdom and understanding) Paul said if you want to be wise, become a fool for Christ. Please seek him while it's still day, because night cometheth when no man shall be able to work.

In Him

Probably the most cunning part of the bible.  The writers more than likely forsaw that their book would not rule forever, so they added a piece where "Non believers" propigating would foretell revalation, good way to whip the followers in to a ferver and scare people back in to the religion

Fear is the worst of all motivators.  It causes people to do things not because they are the right things to do but because of the fear of some retaliation or punishment.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
chriscox1121 said:

In Him

So intelligence and knowledge are negative things? I'm not looking down on anyone for their beliefs, but when religion starts telling me to take blind faith over critical thinking, I have a problem. If I were trying to sell you a dog, but I said it was invisible and impossible to detect in any known way, would you buy it? That's what organized religions seem like to people who don't follow them. It's hard to convey why you don't believe in something someone else does without sounding arrogant. I'm sorry if any of this sounds like belittling to you. It's not meant to.

CrashMan said:
chriscox1121 said:

In Him

Probably the most cunning part of the bible. The writers more than likely forsaw that their book would not rule forever, so they added a piece where "Non believers" propigating would foretell revalation, good way to whip the followers in to a ferver and scare people back in to the religion

Fear is the worst of all motivators. It causes people to do things not because they are the right things to do but because of the fear of some retaliation or punishment.

I never understood why a loving and infinitely forgiving God would throw you into a pit of eternal suffering for something as simple as not believing in him during such a short time as your life (when compared to all of eternity). This also brings other things into question as well. Not all religious people are morally good, and not all non-religious people are morally bad. So would the religious person be allowed into Heaven over the non-religious person just for having faith? If life were a test of the goodness of a person, why would faith in the existence of God decide if you get into Heaven? Faith has nothing to do with how moral a person is. Or perhaps life is a test of devotion. In that case, wouldn't God make his existence a little more obvious?

fkusumot said:
senseinobaka said:

It's a difficult hypothetical to answer.

I live my life with certainty that God does exist. I enjoy studying many things, including science. And, like many scientist in the world, I believe there is undeniable evidence of design in almost every naturally occuring system (biology, chemistry, astronomy, geology). I also enjoy studying the bible and the history related to it. With what I have learned I am sure of god's existence, and live my life according to to the teachings in the bible. (as a side note, following the bible stringently is vastly different than what "mainstream christianity" is now)

However, if all my research led me to the opposite assurance, I would have felt no compulsion to change my lifestyle.

It's also important to note that I do not worship God out of some morbid fear of eternal damnation that mainstream christianity preaches. I have taken the time to study the God of the bible and understand God in a matter that compels me to worship him out of love.

There are many things about mainstream christianity I take extreme offense to. I feel that they have done God a great diservice at least and more than likely blasphemed his name by painting him as a vindictive tyrant that wants you to fear him or he will throw you in hell. Or when a tragedy happens, it's always Gods fault or desire. That's not the person Jesus spent 3 years traveling all over the middle east talking about. Modern day christianity has done such a poor job about actually teaching people about god that I am willing to bet that here in this thread there are more atheist and non-belivers that have researched enough to now god's personal name than professed christians.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com