By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evidence for the existence of God

^ That was awesome. I'm so glad you looked at those reviews.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Interesting calculation I just did fo Noah's arc:

approx 10 billion species of animals.

At an average rate of collecting and loading of 1 species/second (VERY generous in my opinion) we have 10 billion seconds

10 billion seconds = 166666667 mins
= 2777778 hours
= 115741 days
= 317 years

Take the dimensions of the arc: 450 ft x 75 ft x 45 fx a volume of 1518750 cubic feet (if it was perfectly rectangular.)

EDIT : oops math error >_<

with 2 of each species and NO food, that leaves each animal having only 0.13122 cubic inches of space.

Not to mention the mass of water displaced would be MUCH less than the mass of all the animals, causing the boat to sink.

How can any one claim this is possible? Apparently 2/3 of all americans feel the story is LITERALLY true.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
CrashMan said:

At an average rate of collecting and loading of 1 species/second (VERY generous in my opinion) we have 10 billion seconds

= 2777778 hours
= 115741 days
= 317 years

Take the dimensions of the arc: 450 ft x 75 ft x 45 fx a volume of 1518750 cubic feet (if it was perfectly rectangular.)

with 2 of each species and NO food, that leaves each animal having only 0.00091125 cubic inches of space.

Not to mention the mass of water displaced would be MUCH less than the mass of all the animals, causing the boat to sink.

How can any one claim this is possible? Apparently 2/3 of all americans feel the story is LITERALLY true.

2/3rds of all Americans? As far as I know, most christians... (all but the really right wing evangelicals) thing the bible isn't literal in just about every story not involving Jesus or Moses. I don't think even the pope thinks everything in the bible is literal. In fact i know he doesn't. Since he's called people who don't believe in evolution idiots.

That would at least seem to take the "Adam and Eve" story out of the "happened exactly as written" thing... and he's the freakin pope. 

Oops, 60 - 64%, not 2/3, still...

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/primetime/US/views_of_bible_poll_040216.html

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/292818.aspx

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

CrashMan said:

Oops, 60 - 64%, not 2/3, still...

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/primetime/US/views_of_bible_poll_040216.html

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/292818.aspx

That would be 6 out of 10 christians in america... it's just 6 out of the 10 they've asked who've responded.

The thing is... you ask someone to do a survey about religion... the people who are going to say "Ok" are going to be the fringe people.

It's like if someone asks you to answer a survey about animal rights. The average person doesn't believe in dog fights but the average person also doesn't feel like answeing a survey. The only people who are going to answer a survey are the over the top PETA type people.

Ask someone a survey about religion and most of the people who are going to answer are going to be the over the top i love to talk about my religion to everyone people.

In other words, that's the kind of survey that tends to have some serious selection bias unless you offer incentive to go along.

Also, what's with people with No Religion thinking that storys in the bible were literally true.  How can you believe got parted the red sea... yet not believe in god?

Around the Network

^while that is true, its still quite a large amount of the population that responded positively...

Well I believe in God.

CrashMan said:
^while that is true, its still quite a large amount of the population that responded positively...

According to this poll... 24% of people who don't believe in god, believe god created the universe.

By the way you are reading this poll anyway. That seems... outright silly.

Look, I can't prove the non-existence of god. You'll just have to take it on faith.

CrashMan said:

= 2777778 hours
= 115741 days
= 317 years

EDIT : oops math error >_<

with 2 of each species and NO food, that leaves each animal having only 0.13122 cubic inches of space.

Did you factor in dinosaurs being on the Ark into your calculations? Some creationists believe that dinosaurs were taken onto the Ark too. 2 Brachiosaurs would certainly have made things a little cramped.