By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Trophies have nearly ruined gaming for me.

Tagged games:

If you really need the false gratification of digital "trophies" to feel motivated to play your game, you have to wonder if the game your playing is worth playing at all..

Around the Network

I totally understand where you are coming from. Hopefully Sony will be able to implement this patent at some point:

'Sony's Latest Patent Could Bring Trophies to Older Games'

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/sonys_latest_patent_could_bring_trophies_to_older_games

The PS5 Exists. 

I faced a similar problem while playing Xbox 360 games after having played a lot of Mass Effect 3 on Wii U: The lack of a game pad made all other games feel lacking and deficient. The cure was to once again get used to the traditional way of playing games.

Keep going through the classics and relearn to appreciate the sheer gameplay value and things should get back to normal in due time.

theshonen8899 said:
Same here, I hate achievements and trophies. It exploits the OCD nature in me and makes it so that I feel less satisfied playing non-trophy games on my consoles.

Same here.

I am not an OCD type of personality, but Trophies stimulate those feelings and that type of behaviour.

Even though I, like the OP, decided to stop actively hunting for trophies about a year ago, they still affect my gaming in a number of ways. I feel like I have to keep track of the trophies to some extent, and still hunt to some extent, and each game takes much longer to complete.

And just like the OP said, if a game doesn't have trophies I get a weird empty feeling. That game is lesser than others. I can't justify playing it.

I don't want to feel like this. Nothing was planned. In the past I despised Gamerscore/Trophies and everyone who hunts for them, but all of a sudden I got struck by the spell, and they became so important.

well thats why i never finished afro ninja on ps3, i did on x360 though, wasnt a bad game.

some games i will not buy on steam bc it has no achievements. so i can relate OP, but i wouldn't say it ruined gaming, its enhanced it bc i will go back to games and play through them again for them. i wouldn't go through cod on veteran if there wasn't some kind of stupid imaginary score keeper. enjoy it!

Around the Network
think-man said:

Yeah thats the feeling I get, and I dont even like them anymore. It just to be fun to battle with my friends over who had the most trophies but then I started playing games I didnt even care about just to whore them. I just miss the old days where I would try and have the perfect SAVE not the perfect trophy list.

I sometimes play a game that I don't like and I'm like damn.  Now that game is showing 0%, 1%, 5%, etc on my list.  Argh.  OCD, I know, but it seriously bothers me.  I've been thinking of starting another account just to play any new games on there and if I happen to like them, then start playing it on my account :P.

JWeinCom said:
Once upon a time we had unlockables... Now we just have achievements. I don't care about achievements one way or another, but I feel that many developers have used it as a way to avoid creating real incentives to complete tasks.

Games that have both like Sengoku Basara 3 are worse.

"Wow, I unlocked something... an ultimate weapon? maybe a special accesory? ... no, it's ****ing nothing!

I don't know. I like achievements/trophy. If it's a game that I don't care, I don't mind having it at 5/1000. If it is a game I enjoyed a lot, I like to go to 100%, especially if it has some creative achievements that further enhance the experience.

Then there are the games that gives you things in-game for unlocking achievements. Those are the best achievements to obtain, like in Dead Rising.

what i like about achievements/trophies are those you get when you play with friends. as example the advanced warfighter 2 achievements made a lot of fun with friends.

the "ultimate defender" achievement where you have to win the 60 minutes defend match was a nice experience.

Yeah, I kinda hate them too.

If a game has trophies, I feel compelled to at least chase after the ones that are obtainable without massive amounts of effort. As opposed to just playing the game.

And I've discovered that I don't really care about trophies, as I have a blast playing PS1/PSP games on my Vita.

So yeah. I could do without them really. Some are fun though - like getting to Zone 75 on WipEout HD. I'd have never thought to do that if there hadn't been a trophy for it, but it provided me with a few weeks of entertainment trying to get it, actually.