By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One console delays explained, voice-control localisation is key issue says Penello

KillerMan said:
nightsurge said:
ethomaz said:
That excuse lies when you have one supported country and another not supported with uses the same language lol.

You must have missed the part about localizing all the services as well. Content partners, xbox live servers, etc. Typical response from you, though.

But by all means, please tell me which countries you are referring to, where thr primary langiage is the same but only one of them is getting XOne at launch? Even if true, see above...

:)

Germany gets the console switzerland doesn't. Brazil gets the console portugal doesn't. It's complete bs that this is language issue. Anyone with common sense can realize this. It would be better to launch in those countries even without localized Kinect than to give your worst rival extra holiday season.

simply put nope... patching ain't an option in that case.....

for longer answer check above....

ok bye haters see you soon on an other thread

Around the Network

endimion said:

I'll admit I have no idea about potugues from Brazil and Portugal but if it is anything like spanish or French.... there is no way a voice recognition works properly accross all those country with the same set up for all of them... none at all... even in the same country I'm sure they'll have issues between the different accent among the thickest one of them....

and once again lying on that is super uber duper moronic it is way worst to have a delay due to localization than supply.... way way way worst....

It will be easy to check the reason... if the console gets sold out with low numbers then there are supply issues and not localizations... a WW release is difficult for any company.

Sony will have 15 days to ship the units for the EU launch and it is not all the EU.

endimion said:
KillerMan said:
nightsurge said:
ethomaz said:
That excuse lies when you have one supported country and another not supported with uses the same language lol.

You must have missed the part about localizing all the services as well. Content partners, xbox live servers, etc. Typical response from you, though.

But by all means, please tell me which countries you are referring to, where thr primary langiage is the same but only one of them is getting XOne at launch? Even if true, see above...

:)

Germany gets the console switzerland doesn't. Brazil gets the console portugal doesn't. It's complete bs that this is language issue. Anyone with common sense can realize this. It would be better to launch in those countries even without localized Kinect than to give your worst rival extra holiday season.

simply put nope... patching ain't an option in that case.....

for longer answer check above....

ok bye haters see you soon on an other thread

I'm not sure why you think this is about haters, but you know when the Kinect rolled out across Europe some countries like Ireland only got the motion control part of it first, the firmware we got for the 360 had zero voice recognition to begin with, that only came around 6months later in a firmware update. Most people here didn't care as long as they were able to buy the product on day one along with everyone else and the voice recog patch was a nice bonus later on.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
RenCutypoison said:

Did kinect 1 worked with other languages ?

Because SIRI (IOS) is a joke here, while it's a hit in america (hit in america -> sounds like a song name ._.)

intro theme to Beck :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6svDxxU4lfw

But yeah I don't mean when we speak Irish (Gaeilge) I just mean the Irish spin and accents on the English language, If I wanna chuck a grenade in the remasted Halo I have to sound like I'm holding a cup of tea and patting a british terrier while shouting GRENNNNNNNNNADDDDDDDDDDDE otherwise it'll just change the brightness or graphics settings mid firefight haha.

Yeah I kinda figured you were speaking about accent,, not language. The thing is, if it can barely recognize an accent, what about another language.

If you look at the most recognize synthetic voice software in the world (vocaloid 3), it's perfect in japanese, it's becoming good in korean and it sucks in english.

After almost ten years, and Kinect is only 3 years old.

Well, of course it's not the same, it's recognition vs creation, but still, there is a world between making it work for one language, and then for tens of them.

Sounds impossible to me.

Albert Penello:

Wow. My grip on truthfulness was that tenuous?

Perhaps, it could be taken at face value that we are telling the truth. I haven’t been up here posting spin or BS. I’ve been pushing hard to be transparent in how we talk about what’s going on with the platform. And I’m clear when I can’t comment on things.

Yet, somehow since this truth doesn’t jibe with the popular belief online, we are being dishonest. I get that we’ve had a rough few months, but at some point I’d like to think we get the benefit of the doubt, at least on things that make sense logically. You know, Occam’s Razor and such.

Here’s truth:

There never has been any sort of yield or performance issues with our GPU/ESRAM/KINECT/ETC. It’s simply not true, and I’ve heard the rumors online so often I actually went to the silicon engineers to ask them again. Our HW program (knock-on-wood) has been on schedule and again, we’ve had the opportunity to increase performance even later in the program. You don’t have yield issues then upgrade the clock speed by 6%. Again, simple logic here.

Second, if we were having yield issues – why did our country delay not include markets like the US, Canada, or UK? Those represent the vast majority of our volumes. Anyone can look at GFK Chart-Track and see the volumes in the regions that slipped. Here’s an assignment for the GAF Detectives: go look at historical sell-thru rates of consoles by region, then tell me what percentage of global consoles sales were represented by those affected markets. (hint: it’s a small percentage). Each and every region is important to us, don’t get me wrong, but anyone can look at those numbers and deduce it has nothing to do with volume.

I’m going to state it again, just like I said here and to OXM: The delay was localization related. Besides needing local language support, we also need to prop-up local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services. We bundle that together as “localization” in messaging, but there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation. The offset to that, like we’ve said, X1 is region free and while that’s slightly more inconvenient, it will still allow people in the local countries to enjoy launch. Again, not something we’d be promoting if we were having issues with volume.

I’m certainly not going to change everyone’s mind, I get that. And I know there is tendency to believe there are many more diabolical things going on behind the scenes. In this case, we are being fully transparent. And FYI – we passed FCC certification back in early summer, before PS4.

Lastly – anything that was shown on a box, was shown on near-final retail HW. Our Dev Kits and Retail Units are the same.

Albert “spoonful of sugar” Penello

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78575701&postcount=181

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

That excuse lies when you have one supported country and another not supported that uses the same language lol.

ethomaz I'm pretty sure a Portuguese Kinect would have problems recognizing a lot of Brazilian Portuguese words. And that would require some extra work.

Goatseye said:

ethomaz I'm pretty sure a Portuguese Kinect would have problems recognizing a lot of Brazilian Portuguese words. And that would require some extra work.

Brasil is tier 1... no delay here.

ethomaz said:

Goatseye said:

Brasil is tier 1... no delay here.

Microsoft will obviously prioritize markets where it thinks it has better/more business impact.

Imaginedvl said:
ethomaz said:

That excuse lies when you have one supported country and another not supported that uses the same language lol.

You know what, they speak French in Canada... People from France cannot understand them sometime (the opposite is quite true, people from Québec may have hard time to understand people from France); guess what, they "use the same language"...

Seriously, do you really have to always bitch what Microsoft is saying? Anything coming out of them is either bullshit or lies if we listen to you...

The same could be said for english , take england regional differences are quite pronounced.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Goatseye said:

Microsoft will obviously prioritize markets where it thinks it has better/more business impact.

Again... Brasil is tier 1... no delay... if the Kinect yet heve problems with Brasilian Portugues then this news is a big lier because they delayed in the others places because the localization has to be perfect... so the tie 1 contries can't have problems with voice recognition.

Or you agree with the news or you agree that localization is not the problem.