By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Women and Children First?

insomniac17 said:

That said, I'd let pretty much everyone go first. Not because I have no value for my life, but because I don't want to see anyone else hurt if I could help them.

LOL. That's quite honourable. But would you not consider how the ones who love you will feel if you disappear? I know you wouldn't be around to see that in this scenario, but still.

Around the Network
ultima said:
insomniac17 said:

That said, I'd let pretty much everyone go first. Not because I have no value for my life, but because I don't want to see anyone else hurt if I could help them.

LOL. That's quite honourable. But would you not consider how the ones who love you will feel if you disappear? I know you wouldn't be around to see that in this scenario, but still.

I would. But I would also keep in mind the loved ones of all those around me, and how they would feel if their loved one didn't make it home.

insomniac17 said:
ultima said:
insomniac17 said:

I would. But I would also keep in mind the loved ones of all those around me, and how they would feel if their loved one didn't make it home.

Damn! You, sir, are a great person.

It would be morally praiseworthy but not morally obligatory. That said, I have an old-fashioned sense of honour. I would help everyone else I could before stepping off myself, starting with the women and children.

If you have the intelligence to fend for yourself, you should.

The classic example, of course, is the Titanic, but what most people forget was that there was almost two hours between the launching of the first lifeboats and the actual sinking. Basically, by the time you know the ship is sinking and that there are not enough lifeboats, you have an hour left.

An hour of free reign of the ship? I'm sure I could come up with something to keep myself alive. Possibly someone else, too. I expect this of myself.

Sinking in five minutes with an arsoned fire onboard? That's not so likely.

Around the Network
insomniac17 said:
ultima said:
insomniac17 said:

I admire your mercy.  The world is better with attitudes like yours.

Egann said:
If you have the intelligence to fend for yourself, you should.

The classic example, of course, is the Titanic, but what most people forget was that there was almost two hours between the launching of the first lifeboats and the actual sinking. Basically, by the time you know the ship is sinking and that there are not enough lifeboats, you have an hour left.

An hour of free reign of the ship? I'm sure I could come up with something to keep myself alive. Possibly someone else, too. I expect this of myself.

Sinking in five minutes with an arsoned fire onboard? That's not so likely.

If I'm not mistaken, what killed more people during the Titanic sinking were the fact that the lower classes had the "doors" closed and not all could escape in time and the fact that those who fall into the water (even the ones with life-jackets) died because of hypothermia.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

A men can't give birth so yeah but i'm not sure about who should go first.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

hm.. the main threat in that case probably is hypothermia which theoretically means women have a better chance to survive in the water as female skin has a thicker layer of fat beneath it, which means that their bodies don't cool off as quickly

in ice cold water (Titanic) conditions that should only give them some few more minutes, however in "cool" water (15-20°C) there might be a significant difference in how long they can resist hypothermia

Not sure about ships, but when you go rafting and by unhappy accident the boat is upside-down -- the thumb rule is to save men first, those in turn save everyone else because they are better at that.