By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Harrison: Xbox One Will Never Come Without Kinect

Hiring Harrison is a good idea in Theory (He worked at Sony PS prior)
but terrible in practice (He was basically fired for the same shit)
then again, they can't send the no kinect memo back in time now can they?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Leems Segit

wilco said:

Yes, the games would still be the same price initially, for the first couple years that would have to be the case. But eventually that would change. Xbox going all digital would make retail less relevant and you would see publishers and other console makers untether themselves from retail until they no longer feel duty bound to offer games at the same price. At the very least I think they would drop the prices faster and more significantly.

The real benefit of an all digital console would be more for the industry as a whole. Publishers have been decrying used games for years. The smart ones will welcome digital and use it as an opportunity to undercut gamestop by offering better deals for games and maybe digital game rentals as well. Microsoft would probably not beat playstation in market share if they went all digital but they could still retain a large portion of their fanbase. I don't think it would be a deal breaker for most gamers. Prior to E3 2013 the xbox brand was strong enough to convert atleast 75% of its fanbase to all digital. 

Is this statement some common known fact, or are you just throwing numbers around?

Because I think there is no chance of that happening. My main point of contention is that a great majority of MS fan base is in the USA, and from what I've read and heard, USA is still very restrictive when it comes to internet traffic, with expensive and limited data plans. If you look at today's games, most AAA are and will be weighing 40+ GB to download.

If nothing, it could be argued that Sony would have been better off by going all digital, since a large portion of its fan base is in Europe, which a) has no data caps and b) is fragmented enogh to make buying retail games much bigger hassle to buy.

DonFerrari said:
oniyide said:
DonFerrari said:

Well even on X1 or PS4 the person could be basically fully digital and barely won't miss a game.

In a PSNow way some people would go digital. But even tough they put it cheaper we will always worry what about they take it out of air, like the servers of a lot of MP games.

exactly. Im really not seeing how an all digital console will benefit anyone

Rethorical question. Why would a ms fanboy say a ms initiative would be great for gamers? Can change ms to any other company.

i know its a rethorical question, but it always blows my mind how some will back anything of there company of choice, no matter how stupid and destructive it is.  I like Sony systems but when PS3 was unveiled i knew they were messing up and I did not get one until they stopped messing up.

Burek said:
wilco said:

Yes, the games would still be the same price initially, for the first couple years that would have to be the case. But eventually that would change. Xbox going all digital would make retail less relevant and you would see publishers and other console makers untether themselves from retail until they no longer feel duty bound to offer games at the same price. At the very least I think they would drop the prices faster and more significantly.

The real benefit of an all digital console would be more for the industry as a whole. Publishers have been decrying used games for years. The smart ones will welcome digital and use it as an opportunity to undercut gamestop by offering better deals for games and maybe digital game rentals as well. Microsoft would probably not beat playstation in market share if they went all digital but they could still retain a large portion of their fanbase. I don't think it would be a deal breaker for most gamers. Prior to E3 2013 the xbox brand was strong enough to convert atleast 75% of its fanbase to all digital. 

Is this statement some common known fact, or are you just throwing numbers around?

Because I think there is no chance of that happening. My main point of contention is that a great majority of MS fan base is in the USA, and from what I've read and heard, USA is still very restrictive when it comes to internet traffic, with expensive and limited data plans. If you look at today's games, most AAA are and will be weighing 40+ GB to download.

If nothing, it could be argued that Sony would have been better off by going all digital, since a large portion of its fan base is in Europe, which a) has no data caps and b) is fragmented enogh to make buying retail games much bigger hassle to buy.

Not sure about the Sony part but everything else is on the nose. Im not sure where he is getting his info from but i will add. His whole it will take years approach is exactly why it would fail...hard. People arent going to buy an all digital machine where the content is the same price as retail not going to happen. He even states that they wouldnt beat SOny, then what is the point? if you are not the market leader you are not really influencing trends. Does one really think that MS will sit around and be slaughtered by Sony for years until their digital machine picks up steam? Hell one. THE one isnt doing bad right now and they are still doing all kinds of 180s

Around the Network

There a point to this?

PS fan trying to discredit this guy? Because this was before the launch when they wanted solidarity int their message. And market conditions always can change things. The choice to remove it was for the better, so bringing up old threads just shows how far they have come.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

oniyide said:

i know its a rethorical question, but it always blows my mind how some will back anything of there company of choice, no matter how stupid and destructive it is.  I like Sony systems but when PS3 was unveiled i knew they were messing up and I did not get one until they stopped messing up.

that's because you are a fan not a fanboy. I didn't bought any ps before 4 on launch for lack of conditions. I would have bought ps3 despite the arrogance of the PR because I were hyped but wouldn't defend the wrong doings of Sony. If someone bought a DRM with always spying kinect (if that were true) because he likes the games and don't mind the problems I would think he is silly but would be ok with it. But defending drm for physical disc and always online will always be idiotic, and defending always online because you have internet is imbecile and spying kinect because "they have a vision of the future and you can cover it with clothing is moronic.

People that do that for the trolling joy I can accept and laugh, but fanboys that really believe in that defense is utter (can't find a word that is strong enough).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
There a point to this?

PS fan trying to discredit this guy? Because this was before the launch when they wanted solidarity int their message. And market conditions always can change things. The choice to remove it was for the better, so bringing up old threads just shows how far they have come.

Phil Harrison is pretty shitty imo, Although, you are right. He did an equally shitty job when he was a PSSony employee.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
sales2099 said:
There a point to this?

Phil Harrison is pretty shitty imo, Although, you are right. He did an equally shitty job when he was a PSSony employee.

Ya, never liked him. That guy is one "exclusive" I wish MS didn't steal ;P

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
There a point to this?

oh please if this was Sony or Ninty you wouldnt are. No one is saying this isnt better, except SOME MS fans