By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft previews Xbox One dashboard, reveals console can control your home theater

Rpruett said:

3.)  Hardware reliability.  I don't know how anyone could with a straight face completely trust Microsoft in manufacturing electronics at this point.  Last generation, they were like first generation car company (KIAs).  They were that bad.  Now you want to use their hardware for every function in your living room and expect it to handle the load?  I think many are skeptical.

Lets be realistic, Microsoft is a company, companies are out to take your cash, not send you flowers and cake for purchasing something from them, placing trust in any for-profit company is inherintly stupid.
Besides, Sony has historically been just as bad with hardware issues and even removed features from it's devices after they were sold.
PS1 with the disc laser issue, where you had to prop the console up on an angle just to use it.
I've seen lots of broken PS2's over the years.
The PS3 had the YLOD.
Sony removed OtherOS and Backwards compatability from the PS3.
Sony had exploding battery's at one point.
Lets not forget all the financial information lost when the PSN network was hacked, they essentially had the door wide open.

So realistically, if you were to look at any 3 console manufacturers from a reliability stand point, it would be Nintendo, but I still wouldn't even trust them.
At least the RROD didn't put anyones health in danger, so that's something I suppose.

Rpruett said:

4.)  For all of the 'Multimedia' features that the Xbox One has,  how many of those do you truly believe will be 'exclusive' experiences that can't be done elsewhere?  Truly, not many.   PS4 will have plenty of multimedia features, after all they manufacture all sorts of entertainment devices.

I would hazard a guess: None.
The PC can do it all and more. :)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

This is so wonderfully awesome! My good ol'trusty Harmony Remote, is starting to have issues. It controls my TV, Xbox 360, Blu-ray, Receiver, etc.

No I wish I had already pre-ordered One.

I was hoping they would do this. Great job Microsoft!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

This reminds of the days Sony used to brag about Blu-ray.

Both Systems will be loaded with entertainment features.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Adinnieken said:
SvennoJ said:
So how does that work? Where do you point the IR blaster, since my projector, amp and cable box are all in different places.
I've never got along with universal remotes, program a sequence to turn everything on but still have to point it in the right directions while it's going through the steps, pointless.

Since everyone has commented so far, I'll provide an answer.

The Kinect itself is capable of doing the IR blasting.   Remember (or if you didn't know) Kinect comes with three IR lights on the front.  These are capable of lighting up a room for night vision on the Kinect.  Using those lights, Kinect is capable of sending out a signal to control your AV device.  It would be interesting if it worked with your projector, depending on where it is.  If it's in front of the sitting area, it might be challenging depending on how close it is to the screen.  If it's above or behind it, it'll probably work no problem.

The plug-in IR Blaster is only necessary if HDMI CEC or Kinect don't work.

EDIT:  Corrected a reference to a TV and replaced it with screen.

Interesting, although the kinect is itself kind of a problem with the screen, nowhere to put it. Aside from that I would think that the IR blaster has to be where I normally sit. Amp and cable box (both non CEC) are in seperate cabinets, the projector is controlled by reflecting its remote off the screen.

I've used a wireless IR blaster (repeater) before to control the cable box from the bedroom when us old people still used splitters and coax cables. Those things were pretty finnicky and had to be in exactly the right spot. Universal remotes always have problems with one or more specific functions, it will be interesting to see if the xbox one can learn all codes/patterns. I'll play around with it in due time, but won't get my hopes up. So far I've always returned to using the original remotes or simply pressing the buttons on the device.

Fun gimmick, same as using the Wii gamepad for the cable box I imagine (which can't browse and start recorded progams doh) Actually there is one that actually helps, my cable box remote controls the sound volume of the amp, progress!

SvennoJ said:
Adinnieken said:
SvennoJ said:
So how does that work? Where do you point the IR blaster, since my projector, amp and cable box are all in different places.
I've never got along with universal remotes, program a sequence to turn everything on but still have to point it in the right directions while it's going through the steps, pointless.

Since everyone has commented so far, I'll provide an answer.

The Kinect itself is capable of doing the IR blasting.   Remember (or if you didn't know) Kinect comes with three IR lights on the front.  These are capable of lighting up a room for night vision on the Kinect.  Using those lights, Kinect is capable of sending out a signal to control your AV device.  It would be interesting if it worked with your projector, depending on where it is.  If it's in front of the sitting area, it might be challenging depending on how close it is to the screen.  If it's above or behind it, it'll probably work no problem.

The plug-in IR Blaster is only necessary if HDMI CEC or Kinect don't work.

EDIT:  Corrected a reference to a TV and replaced it with screen.

Interesting, although the kinect is itself kind of a problem with the screen, nowhere to put it. Aside from that I would think that the IR blaster has to be where I normally sit. Amp and cable box (both non CEC) are in seperate cabinets, the projector is controlled by reflecting its remote off the screen.

I've used a wireless IR blaster (repeater) before to control the cable box from the bedroom when us old people still used splitters and coax cables. Those things were pretty finnicky and had to be in exactly the right spot. Universal remotes always have problems with one or more specific functions, it will be interesting to see if the xbox one can learn all codes/patterns. I'll play around with it in due time, but won't get my hopes up. So far I've always returned to using the original remotes or simply pressing the buttons on the device.

Fun gimmick, same as using the Wii gamepad for the cable box I imagine (which can't browse and start recorded progams doh) Actually there is one that actually helps, my cable box remote controls the sound volume of the amp, progress!

Your setup would be an interesting one to see how it works.

To get around the limitations that you spoke of with IR repeaters, they started making RF repeaters.  Point your remote at the RF repeater, and it'd send the signal to where ever you had the other end of it and out would emit the IR signal.

My solution to the problem you speak of, Pioneer.  Pioneer AV equipment featured an interconnect for most of their AV devices, plus all of their remotes offered cross compatibility on some level.  The higher-end receivers came with learning remotes as well for other equipment.  So, if you had something like a tape deck that didn't have a remote control, but had the remote interconnect, you could easily hook up a wire and your non-remote tape deck was now remotely controlled. 

You could also get the same interconnect on RCA, Kenwood, RadioShack/Optimus/Realistic and one more. 

If you contact your cable company, they will likely replace your cable box for you.  If you ask nicely.  That is if they offer/use a CEC capable one.

Around the Network
psrock said:
This reminds of the days Sony used to brag about Blu-ray.

Both Systems will be loaded with entertainment features.

Microsoft isn't bragging.

They've announced a previously unoffically announced feature, making it officially announced.  Whoop-tee-do.

Sony will likely announce features that they haven't previously announced or haven't officially announced.  Should we immediately call that bragging?

Rpruett said:
landguy1 said:

What you are saying is exactly my point.  Most of the M$/XBOXOne haters seem to only acknowledge features that they want for themselves(somewhat understandable), but find a way to totally dismiss any feature that doesn't enhance their vision of core gaming.  The features that I mention do only directly impact a smaller portion of the buyers TODAY.  The Home Theatre area is an exploding market and will impact system sales and uses much more every year going forward.

Most haters believe one of several things, not dismissing 'features'.

1.)  It's a video game system first and foremost.  It looks to be inferior in a multitude of ways in that regard currently.

It has always been clear that MS original intent was to have a foot print in your living room, the easiest way to get there was a console back then.... but 5+ years ago, I and plenty of people that understand what MS intentions were and are said it... they wanted and still want to become an entertainement hub in the familly entertainement centre... this has never changed and the "gamers" that didn't get that more than half a decade ago I feel sorry for them....

2.)  Games, for the said video game system.  Sure, a lot has been made of the Xbox One's launch lineup, yet the real concern with Microsoft is their long-term game lineup.  They've proven time and time again that they don't fully support their systems.  (When is the last non-sequel, AAA, fantastic game the Xbox 360 saw?   How early did the original Xbox get pulled off the shelves?)

Maybe but looking at the library, I doubt any real gamer has played already everything their is to play.... I have played over 200 games this gen and still have about 25 games to complete or even start playing among which some of the main AAA titles of this gen.... to me that is just a random (yet valid argument) with very little weight, do we really care when a game came out??? if you still have games to play why should it matter if it came out in the last 6 months or in the last 3 years ???? but I'll give you that one

3.)  Hardware reliability.  I don't know how anyone could with a straight face completely trust Microsoft in manufacturing electronics at this point.  Last generation, they were like first generation car company (KIAs).  They were that bad.  Now you want to use their hardware for every function in your living room and expect it to handle the load?  I think many are skeptical.

Oh I'm looking at you with a straight face and telling you I'm confident.... the RRoD was a big mistake... but not really a major flaw at the end.  What I mean is, it wasn't like the overal box was flawed, just a few minor modification were needed without changing the main design and overall enginering (chips) of the console.... and it's not like sony never had issues either (not only with consoles and in their case, hardware is their core business) heck even apple iPod first itteration had a scary failure rate (that didn't ever get fixed) and it didn't prevent them to do good hardware thereafter...
those trust issues are laughable IMO.... this is not human relations, they know they fucked up, since then they have made even more complex hardware than the XB (surface, and other tech prototypes) have all the testing equipment inhouse and if surface finished quality and resilience to massive amount of constraint is of any indication the XB1 will be a tank in the face of anything that can be thrown at it 

4.)  For all of the 'Multimedia' features that the Xbox One has,  how many of those do you truly believe will be 'exclusive' experiences that can't be done elsewhere?  Truly, not many.   PS4 will have plenty of multimedia features, after all they manufacture all sorts of entertainment devices.

yeah except if MS decide to put money down.... at that game Sony can't follow.... and MS has a growing argument with their ecosystem for distribution... that actually to me will be the most interesting fight... with the rumor of MS trying to have exclusive shows for XB1... we could see MS get into an entirely new business once again we'll see

5.)  Many people aren't really that interested in 'voice chatting' their TV.  I can't imagine a significant percentage of people age 30+ trying to relax after work that want to sit there and yell/make gestures at their TV all night.  Setting aside the fact that plenty of people have some concern over their privacy given how Microsoft so willingly provided information and access to the government in the past.

I would bet more people over 30 are interest in kinect than under thirty..... for many reasons.... first because they can afford it with all the bells and jiggle it needs to be the best experience (cable, XBL gold, buy games without caring about quality that much) they more than likely have kids and a wife.... and that is great for those individuals.... I know every single friends I have over 30 have kinect and use it.... and they use it to play with the kids, and for sports game because at the end they prefer a cheap solution like that better than the DVD like P90X in terms of feedback... and are tired of the gym constraints price and all the jocks it has... or just don't have the time to go to the gym and rather stay at home and do that quickly every morning or evening for 15 min 30 min rather than go to the gym and feel like staying an hour because they drove their... and it's great for the zumba shit for the wifey and when you have a small gathering of friends for a cookout that got rained out and get stuck inside....

6.) Price. Self explanatory.

I don't feel like 500 is expensive.... my phone is more expensive than that.... PS4 would have been 500 nobody would have said 500 is too much... and honnestly a 100 bucks difference is negligeable for a device I'll keep 10 years.... it's a cheaper investment than most of my tech device (smartphone, TV, Sound system, PC, tablet) they are all either more expensive, last less time or both combined...

it simple the main difference between XB and PS is demogrphics... MS targets 25 to 35 as their core gamers... those have less time for gaming all around and look for a polivalent solution in entertainement with not much geeking out like PC or a bunch of device under the TV... and something that can be used and is accepted by his/her young familly....
Sony targets 15 to 25 younger crowd... that have less cash flow... no interest in familly related entertainement and are in college... so have a party and friends mind set with gaming as their main focus....
they definately don't go for the same crowd...

Maybe that's cause I'm a purist but i wanna call it a widget more than a feature.

All I need is a TV and a console, and I prefer to push a button rather than raise the voice when the neighbour is angry at the sound of my TV.

And again, comforting people in their laziness is a bad thing.

Mmmfishtacos said:
YOUR XBOX ONE WILL PRETTY MUCH DOUBLE AS A HARMONY REMOTE
my phone already does this.

Nothing worse than a phone for a remote, in my opinion. No haptical feedback, no "blind" usage. Fail to me.

RenCutypoison said:
Maybe that's cause I'm a purist but i wanna call it a widget more than a feature.

All I need is a TV and a console, and I prefer to push a button rather than raise the voice when the neighbour is angry at the sound of my TV.

And again, comforting people in their laziness is a bad thing.

that's the thing.... we are not talking about a basic set up here.... but a HT centric one.... and in that case the neigbhors issue with my voice is the last of his concern.... heck he wouldn't even hear it over the speaker output and I'm not even counting the subwoofer....

and looking at the fact that I really don't raise my voice often with the current kinect I doubt I'll have to with the kinect 2....

that has nothing to do with lazyness.... it has everything to do with practicallity.... most HT noob in my house wouldn't be able to use my system with remotes... even with a universal one.... heck even the wifey after several years still can't do it.... that will solve the issue..... and it's way more convenient than using a remote when you are playing.... don't tell me it's better to pause the game grab the remote turn down the sound grab the pad again than just say volume down and keep playing that awesome race in forza 5....