Terra 4 0.82%

Zidane 30 6.19%

Bartz 12 2.47%

Neither 29 5.98%

I don't care. I'm here to troll 67 13.81%

Total:484
Darc Requiem said:
forevercloud3000 said:
And as the Reverse of this question and reference to what qualities I appreciate the most.

Yuna: appears to be meek from her outward appearance but is probably the best protaganist in the entire series due to the way she evolves as a character thru the plot.

Vivi: is one of the most endearing figures in the series. Something about his design and personality shines bright. He is the best part about FFIX.

Cloud: You saw this coming, I'm sure. His narcissistic personality in the outset of the game was just a cover to hide his deep sense of self loathing as well as insecurity (also Mako poisoning). I think Cloud is a very good rendition of the avg person. He is proof that our only true hindrance life is our belief that we "Can't" or that we just are not good enough. How the biggest failure of the Shinra Militia took down their most exalted warrior.....its poetry really.

Cloud doesn't have a personality. He's a fraud. He's pretending to be Zack. He assumes his identity. He's wearng his clothes, carrying his sword, goes after his girlfriend and his biggest "memory" is Zack's visit to is in Nibelheim with Sephiroth. It's part of the reason I dislike FFVII so much. He's a phony for a bulk to game. Tifa knows this. Yet she doesn't inform Barrett. It's not like they were close as kids. She barely knew he existed. It makes no damned sense. If wasn't for Emil Castagnier, he'd probably still be my least favorite protaginist in any JRPG I played.

Its not like what you are saying isn't true. I just think the fact Cloud loathed his own life so much that he would pilfer it from someone else is a great character flaw to expound upon. Cloud most definitely has a personality. Its unfortunate that the melancholy version of him in Advent Children is all that ppl really remember at this point.

Cloud was a young man with dilusions of grandeur. He wanted the girl(Tifa), the fame (Sephiroth), and the Honor(Zack). He had none of it, and he seemingly never would. He makes a promise to Tifa that he would become somebody. Cloud was that underdog in all of us. We start out with big dreams and when life starts sending us curve balls, it sometimes falls to pieces.

As far as Tifa's blatent disregard for Cloud's lie of a life? Well I find that easily explainable and understand it. Tifa, was that hot girl that all the guys wanted when her and Cloud were younger. Cloud was the one who always had her back but she never gave him the attention he deserved. In relative terms she put him in the "Friend Zone". Yet like most ppl, she didn't realize what she had till it was gone. So when Cloud came back as this Hot Shot soldier....even with his inconsistancies.....she didn't want to burst his bubble. Its like when guys talk about how great they are in bed to other guys and how they laid it "down" or whatever. The girl will let them have their moment because men's pride is so very fragile.

And in the end, we find that Cloud is every bit of hero that he pretended to be before, him being the only one to ever truly defeat Sephiroth and all.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
The Fury said:
Darc Requiem said:

Cloud doesn't have a personality. He's a fraud. He's pretending to be Zack. He assumes his identity. He's wearng his clothes, carrying his sword, goes after his girlfriend and his biggest "memory" is Zack's visit to is in Nibelheim with Sephiroth. It's part of the reason I dislike FFVII so much. He's a phony for a bulk to game. Tifa knows this. Yet she doesn't inform Barrett. It's not like they were close as kids. She barely knew he existed. It makes no damned sense. If wasn't for Emil Castagnier, he'd probably still be my least favorite protaginist in any JRPG I played.

Weird thing is that all what you jsut said is to me what makes him an interesting character. He's no action hero protagonist, he's f*ed up. The experiments done to him, infusing him with both Mako and Jenova cells messed him up, making him lose his true memories and replace them with what he saw Zack do during their time together. He truely believes that is what happens for the first major part of the game.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Cloud just didn't sense as character for me and Tifa hiding his secret just ruined an already weak plot.

Side note: There is absolutely no reason for Cloud to assume Zack's identity. Zack failed to stop Sephiroth and despite being a "lowly" Shinra guard. Cloud did. He's the one "killed" Sephiroth. Despite my disdain for FFVII and Cloud. One of the coolest moments in Final Fantasy was "Lowly Shinra Guard" Cloud, tossing "The World's Greatest Soldier" Sephiroth into the Lifestream after being run though.

It was Zack who had the prestige and honor. No one was ever there to see any of Cloud's accomplishments. Not to mention Cloud still suffered from serious self esteem issues/Identity Crisis. People don't just snap out of that over night.

What I imagine Cloud was thinking is that sure...he killed Sephiroth, but at what cost? Failed to protect his hometown. Family, friends, all probably dead. Tifa and Zack were both swatted down, the two ppl he probably cherrished the most. He didn't see what had happened as a true victory.

This is also a recurring theme in FFVII, the bright side within horrible tragedy. The game doesn't even end happily. The world was barely saved but it was a new beginning for everyone.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Squall is my first answer, though Cloud is close behind.

Squall was just a jerk riding the emo wave of the time. I actively disliked him.

Cloud never did find a personality. I understand his conflict but that doesn't make him sympathetic or likable. In my opinion, Tifa and Aeris made FF7. Tifa's conflict, especially, grabbed my heart.

As for Terra, she was okay. I don't dislike her but Celes was the star of the show for me. Once she appeared and we began to learn about her inner struggle, Terra fades into the background. I'm still amazed at how much character progression and passion they managed to squeeze into those little sprites. Because of her depth, Celes is one of my most favorite characters in videogames, period.