By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - United States or Japan: Who's animation is better?

Who's Cartoons are better?

America 107 21.84%

Japan 368 75.10%

Other 13 2.65%

Total:488
DieAppleDie said:
DBZ

This?

Around the Network

I have enjoyed both in my life, from Duck Tales, Garfield, Simpson's to Cardcaptor's, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh!

And I just have to give it to Anime. Anime inspired my art style, took it somewhere it wasn't going at first and I'm glad. Anime's become a big part of my life and it's always been because of these main things: More focus on the art style, rather then the humour

More closer to the comics art (I'm sorry, but a lot of American cartoons like Batman fail to look half as good as the comics, well, depending on which comics you read)

The art style is just better to me

The focus on fight scenes just makes it more enjoyable for me. I love Batman the Animated Series, but a lot of its fight scenes aren't on par with some of the great fight scenes you'll see in Bleach or Full Metal Alchemist.

Backgrounds look amazing, I mean wow... Unlike a lot of American cartoons where skyscrapers look god awful, or some of the cartoons where the background was an afterthought.

And while I do love shows like: Batman, The Batman, Spiderman, Teen Titans, Avatar the Last Airbender, Avatar the Legend of Korra and shows like that, anime just sticks out as more appealing to me.

Won't stop me from loving American cartoons, but I just like anime more.

Also, my favourite thing about Japan's animation is it still makes animated moves that are released in theater that aren't crappy CGI.

Also they gave us Studio Freakkin Ghibli. Your argument is invalid.

There's good and bad in both regions. The fact that a lot of American cartoons are animated in Korea muddies the question a bit. I'm sure some Japanese animation is outsourced as well.

The real question that needs to be asked is which style is better, and the answer is neither.

Japan easily

chapset said:
Canada for avatar

lol, this alone puts Canada ahead of USA

Around the Network

America used to have better animation. Now I would give a tip of the hat to Japan, simply because America has largely abandoned high quality traditional cell animation for theatrical releases. That was where American animation really shined for decades. There also used to be a hell of a lot better drawn/animated American tv cartoons.

I'm not a huge fan of the overdone "Anime look", honestly, and thus I seem to be drawn mostly to older 70s and 80s Animes, before many of those tropes had really taken over their industry. Japanese traditional animation is obviously awesome, for the most part, as far as fluidity and just the simple fact that they've never abandoned it for CGI. Studio Ghibili is now what Disney used to be, once upon a time.

I don't dislike CGI animated films. But they're just too many of them now. It saddens and bewilders me that audiences would rather spend the big bucks to go see a CGI cartoon over a cell animation one now. At least in NA. Disney's Frog Princess did well, but outside of that, there hasn't even been many attempts. Guys like Don Bluth have all but quit the business, and every studio interested at all in theatrical animation, is only doing CGI. Hell, it even seems like more and more tv cartoons are popping up CGI.

I think CGI can be fine, and Pixar especially has obviously made some masterpieces. But to me, a bit of a huge animation fan/buff, nothing is ever going to replace the "magic" that classic, traditional hand-drawn 2D animation has.

zorg1000 said:
Augen said:
I think Japan does a better job in diversity of animation. I just do not see many American animation that go for older audiences. Due to varying cultures animation has this "for children" stigma in the states. I am not saying that certain animation has not had that great for all ages feel, but I would be stunned to see a rated R or even PG-13 animated film form an American studio anytime soon.

Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill, Archer, American Dad, Stripperella, Auqa Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost Coast to Coast are cartoon shows targeted at adults. Im sure im missing alot.

I was thinking major films.  

Fair point, interesting all of those are comedy (least I think so) shows so no action or dramatic series for adults.  So Americans will accept adult animation (to a degree, I find most people that watch those mentioned are under 40) but in this self aware comedic sense.

So, mildly clarifying what I meant (or moving goal posts if you disagree) If I saw an american studio do a "Ghost in a Shell" or a "Cowboy Bebop" equivalent that would surprise me.

Disney animation takes a shit on anything.

I prefer anime quite considerably. Purely from an animation quality perspective, shows like the Simpsons are certainly more impressive, but I still prefer the style of story telling used in anime (Clannad AS is still one of my favorite shows of all time... my god dem tears ;-;).

I should note though that in general, anime is not my favorite form of media. That would be "traditional" TV, such as Breaking Bad.

Studio Ghibli > Disney > Pixar.