By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia Shield mini review: 10 reasons why Nvidia Shield is the best gaming handheld you can buy

Soleron said:
Suppose you had only $300 to spend on a handheld, and you didn't own any current gen ones.

Are you really saying you'd buy Shield over Vita and 3DS? That's what's implied by "best".

3DS gives it some competition for sure in the gaming department and if you like Nintendo games, its obviously the best choice... But I like the Shield myself.

It's the best for someone like me... I see myself opening VGchartz on browser to comment, running Google messenger, opening work email...and seamlessly switch between everything as I play Max Payne. :)

And then there is the PC streaming part which is like Voodoo magic.  Nothing I've seen like this before works this good (Splashtop for example...)

Around the Network

One of the most useless devices ever to grace the market, bar none.

If you want to play android games on a handheld device, use your phone.
If you want to play PC games, use your PC.

Wow, what a novel idea.

Chandler said:
disolitude said:
Chandler said:
Good to know but are there even true Nvidia shield games? I don't need a device to stream my PC games to a handheld, I rather play them on a bigger screen.

It has access to all Andorid games and Nvidia shield optimized Android games. Android has a controller API so a lot of games support it out of the box. 

In terms of PC streaming, it obviously isn't a replacement for PC gaming but its extremely convenient to be able to play anywhere in the house. I will be able to squeeze in extra 30 mins of gaming every night once I go to bed lol...

Android games, exactly what I need a 300$ handheld for. Sorry but without it's own exclusive games that take advantage of the hardware and that I can play anywhere (unlike PC streaming) I don't see any value. I simply don't need (another) handheld without games, no matter how good the hardware is.

"Android games"... I think you need to check out what Android games are like now and what they have to offer.

People are far too easy to dismiss android as a mobile gaming platform. There are games that look better than anything you'll find on PSVita or 3DS graphically. Check out upcoming dead trigger 2 for example...

There are games that add extra features not found anywhere else...check out Sonic the Hedgehog 25 anniversary which added new modes, ability to play as tails and knuckles, spin dash, no acceleration limits...

Also there are full console games available on Android you can play in HD and on the go. Playing the Conduit in HD you bought for $2.99 on the go is an "exclusive". You'd have to get a wii, buy a game for 20 bucks and play in SD to play it otherwise...

dsgrue3 said:
One of the most useless devices ever to grace the market, bar none.

If you want to play android games on a handheld device, use your phone.
If you want to play PC games, use your PC.

Wow, what a novel idea.

A negative post from dsgrue3 where he disses a product and /or service... If I had a dime every time this happened I would have a lot of dimes. 

JoeTheBro said:
disolitude said:

1. Latest and greates mobile GPU you can buy - Games are running butter smooth, a lot of them in HD.

Isn't it too powerful though? No mobile game so far needs even close to that much power.

2. PC streaming works amazingly well with minimal PC requirements- I installed Nvidia Experience on my media PC which has an Athlon X4 645 and a GTX 660 and its able to stream most games at max game details without any lag.

Is this universal or only for supported games? Best feature IMO.

3. Full access to Android app store games - all Android games at your fingertips at Android prices and subject to Android game sales. Max Payne - $2.99. GTA Vice City - $4.99, The Conduit - $2.99, Genesis Sonic games (with enhancements) $1.99...  Nvidia Tegra optimized exclusive games are also available which are all HD and look almost as good as stuff on HD consoles. 

My smartphone can already play Android games but that's kinda a plus. How good is button support?

4. Full access to Android app store period - Android has top notch apps you actually want to use like chrome browser and plex video streaming. Not limited and locked down baby versions that other gaming portables come with

Oh. Same as above. Also I think you underestimate the apps on Vita.

5. Amazing battery life for a portable - 6+ hours of gaming and 10+ hours of PC game streaming

Great.

6. Open source and not locked down - a wet dream for homebrew and hacker folks

Great

7. Amazing build hardware, buttons, speakers and screen - better than any other portable on the market right now

No

8. Comfortable to hold - unlike every DS ever made and PSP, it won't give people with big hands cramps

Great

9. Built in extras other gaming handhelds don't/can't offer like miracast wireless streaming to your TV, true multuitasking, file system, ability to pair up with bluetooth controllers for 2 player on screen or on TV action...etc

Cool

10. Its a hardcore gaming handheld - despite all the extra functionality, this device was designed with hardcore gamers in mind. The full Xbox 360 like controller and ability to play non mobile, "core" games are front and center on Nvidia Shield. You will not find any links to Angry birds in the Nvidia Tegra gaming zone...

Oh

Just my personal opinions on your list. Also I think you forgot the big negative, $300 ;)

My replies to your answers  below.

1. Its not too powerful simply because lower spec'd android hardware can chug when playing graphically intense games and emulators. N64 emulator with this thing is no problem. Also Nvidia is optimizing games and making them look better than on any other platform and putting them in tegra zone. 

2. Supported by any game running on Steam and using an Xbox 360 controller.

3. Smartphones run games but don't have buttons, and they also run for 3 hours when you game on them... I personally need my smartphone for other things during the day. Button support so far has been very impressive as anything I wanted to play had it, but there are bound to be older games that don't have it as well. 

4. I am not underestimating the Vita...I just know it can't compete with the largest growing ecosystem in terms of apps. 

5. Great as well

6. Great...

7. Are you saying it doesn't have the best screen, best speakers, best thumb sticks, dpad and best build quality out of all gaming handhelds? Which one is better? 

8. Great

9. Cool

10. Oh yeah! :)

Around the Network

I love my Android devices. That being said, mobile gaming is trash.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

disolitude said:

I never realized how impressive Android app store is in terms of "hardcore" games, and how many of those games are already optimized to work with a true console controller. This console is worth the price even without PC streaming due to the amazing library of console-like games it can play.

Can you make some example of these optimized hardcore games? I'm just asking because I've seen some tegra tech demos on youtube and I saw some interesting looking games but to be honest I have really no idea about how many of these games are avaliable and how good they are.

As for Shield, it really looks like an interesting concept but I think mobile hardware tecnology is evolving too fast so I have the feeling I'll be able to get a much better value for the hardware in a few years. Since I have a limited budget atm I'm fine with my 3DS and its excellent games, but I'm considering android consoles/handleds as a viable option for the next years.

freebs2 said:

disolitude said:

I never realized how impressive Android app store is in terms of "hardcore" games, and how many of those games are already optimized to work with a true console controller. This console is worth the price even without PC streaming due to the amazing library of console-like games it can play.

Can you make some example of these optimized hardcore games? I'm just asking because I've seen some tegra tech demos on youtube and I saw some interesting looking games but to be honest I have really no idea about how many of these games are avaliable and how good they are.

As for Shield, it really looks like an interesting concept but I think mobile hardware tecnology is evolving too fast so I have the feeling I'll be able to get a much better value for the hardware in a few years. Since I have a limited budget atm I'm fine with my 3DS and its excellent games, but I'm considering android consoles/handleds as a viable option for the next years.

Very resonable post and point of view... I do agree that someone that is looking to get ther moneys worth should consider a 3DS over this. It's guaranteed to be supported for another 3-4 years and to get quality software. While this version of Shield is as future proof as they come at the moment (stock upgradable android, open source, latest and best GPU) within 2 years it may be lagging at the pace technology is changing. 

Here is a list of Android games that are Nvidia Shield optimized. This means that they were tweaked to work with the controller perfectly, or were redone in HD...etc.

http://shield.nvidia.com/play-android-games/

Add to this perfect emulation for every console from N64 and down, and some other console ports (mostly XBL/PSN games) and you get a picture of what you can play. Also you can play all the casual games that mobile gaming is associated with, but with these other options, I don't see myself playing Angry birds and Temple Run too much...

Looks kool but I'll stick to Vita and 3ds.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

I'm not really impressed with it.

I like the idea of a Android based handheld console, but not at that price.

Nvidia should have allowed games to be streamed on more devices. Like laptops and major smart phone operating systems.

Not sure what their goal is, but I don't see this being much of a success.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)