By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nvidia Shield mini review: 10 reasons why Nvidia Shield is the best gaming handheld you can buy

Mr Puggsly said:
I'm not really impressed with it.

I like the idea of a Android based handheld console, but not at that price.

Nvidia should have allowed games to be streamed on more devices. Like laptops and major smart phone operating systems.

Not sure what their goal is, but I don't see this being much of a success.

Their goal is:

1. To offer value, incentive for people buying their GTX GPU's

2. Provide a gaming dev platform for the Tegra chipset

3. Bridge the gap between PC and mobile gaming

The number of units this sells isn't very relevant at all.

Nvidia will allow streaming on more devices like laptops soon, as long as they are running the latest GPUs. Tegra 4 based tablets are the next step (once they came out). I am not sure which point of yours isnt going to be addressed other than the price...

However when considering the price you have to factor in that Nvidia isn't making royalties on software and can't sell this at a loss to make money later. Also the build quality, screen, speakers, battery life on this thing indicates its worth every penny. They did not go cheap like other android gaming devices...

Around the Network
disolitude said:

"Android games"... I think you need to check out what Android games are like now and what they have to offer.

People are far too easy to dismiss android as a mobile gaming platform. There are games that look better than anything you'll find on PSVita or 3DS graphically. Check out upcoming dead trigger 2 for example...

There are games that add extra features not found anywhere else...check out Sonic the Hedgehog 25 anniversary which added new modes, ability to play as tails and knuckles, spin dash, no acceleration limits...

Also there are full console games available on Android you can play in HD and on the go. Playing the Conduit in HD you bought for $2.99 on the go is an "exclusive". You'd have to get a wii, buy a game for 20 bucks and play in SD to play it otherwise...

I am not disputing the fact that Android games can be of a very high quality but they were still mostly developed with sluggish touch controls in mind. So even if the button controls on the Shield are super tight, the game will still be limited in areas like difficulty and level design because of its heritage, if that makes any sense. Also, games like the Ace Attorney Trilogy, TWEWY and the upcoming Breath of Fire 6 are iOS games afaik and not on android so there goes another chunk of games I would be interested in.

Again, I am not saying that the Shield isn't a good device. It probably is, but without compelling games there's just no value for me. Although I would like to try playing Dishonored on it and see how it goes.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

I don't understand. Why don't you just get a 3ds? It really is the best portable on the market. It's not like the games are expensive.

RolStoppable said:

I see you put a lot of work into this thread, so I will counter all of your points thoroughly.

The Nvidia Shield doesn't play Nintendo games legally.

Thanks for reading.

I'm sorry I can't hear you...I'm playing Arcade perfect version of Killer Instinct on Nvidia Shield and the speakers are awesomely loud. 

The Tegra 4 chip definitely sounds awesome. However, a powerful chip for "android app games" sounds laughable at best. No way I would consider dropping 3 Benjamins to play app games. Sure there are more "complete" games but it's still not worth it, imo. I will have to see full Shield exclusive games that compete against the libraries of the consoles first before I consider the Shield seriously.
Much like others have said already, I have a phone that has access to Google Play store so why would would I want to buy a device that has access to more optimized games? To play optimized app games in HD?

The button design make it ugly despite being full functional controls, imo.

3DS over this any day. The exclusive 1st party library alone makes the 3DS worth it.

The streaming feature is the only real pro if you ask me. I'd like to play some of my PC games in portable fashion.

Finally, I recall you getting on me about wanting to have Uncharted on a portable console.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
The Tegra 4 chip definitely sounds awesome. However, a powerful chip for "android app games" sounds laughable at best. No way I would consider dropping 3 Benjamins to play app games. Sure there are more "complete" games but it's still not worth it, imo. I will have to see Shield exclusive games first before I consider the Shield seriously.
Much like someone said already, I have a phone that has access to Google Play store so why would would I want to buy a device that has access to more optimized games? To play app games in HD?

The button design make it ugly despite being full functional controls, imo.

3DS over this any day. The exclusive 1st party library alone makes the 3DS worth it.

The streaming feature is the only real pro if you ask me. I'd like to play some of my PC games in portable fashion.

Finally, I recall you getting on me about wanting to have Uncharted on a portable console.

I was riping on you about playing uncharted on the bus, train and on the go...that still sounds rediculous to me. I'd take angry birds or solitare on the bus over uncharted any day. That is how kids fall down on train tracks...

However the PC gaming on the Shield is an in home experience, for the times you can't or don't want to sit at your PC. 

Being "ugly" is something thats in the eye of the beholder, but the bottom line is who cares if its ugly? The controls and design isn't just "functional". It destroys 3DS and PSP in terms of comfort, layout and ability to play full console type games. That is what matters... don't have to fiddle with cramped brick like handheld design or tiny analog sticks that isn't meant for people with medium to large sized hands.

Also you have a phone that doesn't have buttons to play Android games the same way Shield does.  You can pick up a Moga controller and do it ghetto style or maybe make one of these yourself - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luyDKZxf28I

I personally though wouldn't want to bother with any DIY solutions, nor would I want to waste my phones battery on gaming when I'm traveling. 

So far its sold about 30 units at two stores in my location... Only 22 stores in the country are selling the device, but u can but it online.
Also emulators ruin great on thus thing! Quad core cpu (tegra 4) 16 core gpu and 2 gigs of ram... Makes it more powerful than px360

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

disolitude said:
freebs2 said:

disolitude said:

I never realized how impressive Android app store is in terms of "hardcore" games, and how many of those games are already optimized to work with a true console controller. This console is worth the price even without PC streaming due to the amazing library of console-like games it can play.

Can you make some example of these optimized hardcore games? I'm just asking because I've seen some tegra tech demos on youtube and I saw some interesting looking games but to be honest I have really no idea about how many of these games are avaliable and how good they are.

As for Shield, it really looks like an interesting concept but I think mobile hardware tecnology is evolving too fast so I have the feeling I'll be able to get a much better value for the hardware in a few years. Since I have a limited budget atm I'm fine with my 3DS and its excellent games, but I'm considering android consoles/handleds as a viable option for the next years.

Very resonable post and point of view... I do agree that someone that is looking to get ther moneys worth should consider a 3DS over this. It's guaranteed to be supported for another 3-4 years and to get quality software. While this version of Shield is as future proof as they come at the moment (stock upgradable android, open source, latest and best GPU) within 2 years it may be lagging at the pace technology is changing. 

Here is a list of Android games that are Nvidia Shield optimized. This means that they were tweaked to work with the controller perfectly, or were redone in HD...etc.

http://shield.nvidia.com/play-android-games/

Add to this perfect emulation for every console from N64 and down, and some other console ports (mostly XBL/PSN games) and you get a picture of what you can play. Also you can play all the casual games that mobile gaming is associated with, but with these other options, I don't see myself playing Angry birds and Temple Run too much...

Ok, thanks. Yes, it has some relatively interesting games on it and graphics are impressive but still so far I would buy it mainly for emulation...I hope the library will build up soon enough, maybe the indie scene will help a bit, still without at least some minor support from big plushers I don't know this kind of consoles will take hold. An android version of FIFA14 optimized for shield controls would be a good start for example, thought my wet dream would be portable version of Dark Souls. Still it's already a great thing you can stream it from the PC.

papamudd said:
So far its sold about 30 units at two stores in my location... Only 22 stores in the country are selling the device, but u can but it online.
Also emulators ruin great on thus thing! Quad core cpu (tegra 4) 16 core gpu and 2 gigs of ram... Makes it more powerful than px360

Yeah I was told they sold really well. I had to preorder mine ahead of time and wait a week after launch to get it from Canada Computers. And the only reason why I got it is because a friend of mine works there who put one aside for me even though other people were ahead of the preorder line...hehe. 

They are still sold out as are other canadian retailers that carry it - http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_195_199&item_id=060492

Only place in Canada that has them for delivery and in stock right now is Newegg.

what exclusive games does it have?

:P