By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

impertinence said:

Great stuff Mummelmann, solid from top to bottom for the most part. There are things I don't agree with in both yours and John Lucas' posts, but as far as general outlook on the videogame market I'm probably not very far from how you see things. The main differences probably revolve around the marketability of the Wii U and the status of the 'less enthusiastic' gamers to not use one of the non-words of the discussion.

One thing I thought I could help clear up though. The ethics discussion concerning advertising targeted at children is probably not going to go anywhere. There's a cultural gap there that is obvious in how you both approach the subject. In Norway advertising targeted at children is illegal, in the US it is a non topic and not even slightly controversial. From the US vantage, discussing the ethics of advertising aimed at kids makes about as much sense as discussing the ethics of what kind of bread you prefer.

For example, both Microsoft and Sony also target kids heavily in the US with their ads, if not necessarily their videogame ads.

Its funny you mentioned this, as "forbrukerombudet" sued Nintendo a while back for breaking Norwegian law. However, "markedsrådet" and Nintendo disputed the specific commercials "forbrukerombudet" used in the case as they argued the actual products in the commercials had value for the entire family. Nintendo won the case, and have since been able to market their games and systems freely in Norway. 

Around the Network
Seece said:
Dv8thwonder said:
The marketing machine of Nintendo revs up for Wii Fit U http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-employs-the-services-of-celebrity-trainer-kathy-kaehler-to-promote-wii-fit-u/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Dat 3m in Q1 revving up!!!

True. I'm also expecting Nintendo to give a release date for the retail version of Wii Sports Club during the next Nintendo Direct, along with solid release dates of titles we already know to be released in the Spring.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

The whole fitness video game craze seems to be over. Zumba sold 6 million in 2010, the newest entries can't even scrape past 100k. The Nike game bombed on Kinect with 10k sold, and Your Shape 2013 only moved 40k units. The market was completely saturated. I don't see the Wii Fit U doing anything for the system.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Dv8thwonder said:
Seece said:
Dv8thwonder said:
The marketing machine of Nintendo revs up for Wii Fit U http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-employs-the-services-of-celebrity-trainer-kathy-kaehler-to-promote-wii-fit-u/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Dat 3m in Q1 revving up!!!

True. I'm also expecting Nintendo to give a release date for the retail version of Wii Sports Club during the next Nintendo Direct, along with solid release dates of titles we already know to be released in the Spring.

Such a hilarious prediction, I hope when it fails you admit it was silly :P

Seece said:

wait... people are not only predicting no drop from Q4 to Q1 but they are actually predicting an increase?

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
The whole fitness video game craze seems to be over. Zumba sold 6 million in 2010, the newest entries can't even scrape past 100k. The Nike game bombed on Kinect with 10k sold, and Your Shape 2013 only moved 40k units. The market was completely saturated. I don't see the Wii Fit U doing anything for the system.

I think to make and kind of impact in that market you have to bring something new to the table. Wii Fit U does, but will it catch on? Time will tell.

Max King of the Wild said:
Seece said:

wait... people are not only predicting no drop from Q4 to Q1 but they are actually predicting an increase?

They're expecting more in Q1, than the entire 2013.

impertinence said:
Fusioncode said:

I think to make and kind of impact in that market you have to bring something new to the table. Wii Fit U does, but will it catch on? Time will tell.

I haven't been paying much attention to the game so I'm not sure if it does anything differently. Though I don't think there is a market for this kind of thing anymore.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Seece said:

They're expecting more in Q1, than the entire 2013.

oh god. looks like im reading those 175 new posts in this thread (not sure for pain or pleasure yet)

impertinence said:
Fusioncode said:

What new things does it bring to the table?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.