By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - UNITY - Nintendo & Wii U Finish The REVOLUTION

Seece said:
RedPikmin95 said:
Seece said:
So sales are under 4m going into the last 9 weeks of the year.

For Zero's 10m prediction to come true it needs to start selling 670k a week.

For JL's 12m prediction to come true it needs to start selling 900k a week.

Are there people that still believe this is remotely possible?

Well, as far as I know, in December 2009 the Wii did 3.8 million in America alone...so....it's still not impossible =)

3.8m And the previous October it did 500k. 10 times what the WiiU did.

Maybe you're on to something!

Oct 500k > Dec 3.8m Wii

Oct 50k > Dec 380k WiiU!

This post made me laugh in real life. 

Around the Network
Dv8thwonder said:

I believe Sony inaddvertently revealed the release date of Mario Kart 8 with their Infamous: Second Son reveal. It makes sense given Nintendo's current software release strategies.

Huh? You think MK8 is releasing March 21 or whatever day secodn son is?

Final-Fan said:

2a3a.  That doesn't seem like a very objective assessment.

What I believe is my belief. The rest is objective.

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3a.  You asked "do you, Final-Fan, think that's fair?" That is, you were criticizing my questions about EA and Microsoft games in comparison to your questions about Nintendo games.  My answer is that what I was doing was very different and not equivalent, and therefore not "unfair"; and what I was doing was presenting very specific examples to illustrate a point, those examples being very easy to research if you chose to, which you did.

Ok, and what's your point in showing examples very easy to research?

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3b. 
The game being "about an infinite number of unreal creatures" is a ridiculous way to say the games are similar.  I could say that Pokemon is similar to the Halo series for the same reason (the Flood and the Covenant).  In fact Pokemon is MORE similar to Halo because both of those games have humans while to my knowledge Spore does not.  Anyway, the alleged similarity you based your comparison on has nothing to do with the gameplay, so it's actually fairly worthless IMO. 

Halo is about shooting. The game may have an infinite number of unreal creatures, but what you do is to shoot. And what you do in Pokemon or Spore is to collect an infinite number of unreal creatures. That's what both games are about.

Final-Fan said:

As for the JRPG thing, you are simply revealing your ignorance.  There are two or more main "types" of RPG, JRPG ("Japanese", because the Japanese tend to make these types but not only Japanese make them), WRPG ("Western", ditto), and SRPG ("strategy") etc.

You are assuming I didn't know about the JRPG niche...and you're wrong. The point is: there is no such game genre. If you tell me that's a type or a style, ok. But then I can tell you american driving games have a proper style that is very different from british driving games. Is there anything wrong with that? No, it's not. Each region has its own culture. But then you can't demand a company from a certain region to adopt the culture of another region. EA is american, not japanese. They don't need japanese type of games to be successful.

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3.1  You didn't even attempt to look at my source, did you?  For Goldeneye, I saw on Wikipedia that they based at least some of the level design on the sets from the movie, which is a real life location.  They showed a picture and a screenshot side by side to prove that they did this.  You can require realistic graphics or you can require reality-based graphics, but requiring both of them at the SAME TIME is just pointless.  It's two different requirements.

No, I just require reality-based graphics. And, if you look at both images of that wikipedia picture, you will notice that, graphic quality aside, both places are quite different. It's simply not copied, it's rather inspired on it. I can be tolerant but not that much. I could also say that Midnigh Club 2 (which is supposedly set in Los Angeles, Paris and Tokyo) has photo-realistic environments. But the fact is that they didn't do the photo-realism process and the result is that I'm racing in a city that resembles Paris but I can't say that's Paris. This is not a matter of graphics. This is a matter of detail.

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3.5  FPS, 2D platformer, SHMUP, 3D platformer, puzzle game

FPS: imagine a SWAT5 in which I can recruit to my 5-members-team candidates from a range of endless police officers (with different skills and potential) who want to belong to SWAT. In addition, I can train and develop the skills of my team so that they become sharp in the action, they cooperate well with the other team members and they work well under my tactics and style of operation. This has already hundreds (if not thousands) of gameplay variants.

2D platformer and 3D platformer are about the same genre: platformer: a game with more than 100 playable characters, each one with its own way of moving and attacking.

Shoot-em-up: I really don't know the extent of this genre. Do you consider this to be shoot-em-up?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrePMNLWA9g

Puzzle: a game like The Eye Of Judgment

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3.7  You didn't answer the most important question.

Answer: this measures the depth of a game or the commitment of a developer because online matches with hundreds of players have more lasting appeal and are harder to establish in a game (it demands a lot of work in optimization and other areas).

Final-Fan said:

I think composing music is as legitimate a form of player generated content as creating a new floor map.

Yes it is. But "player generated content" is not 1 of the 9 requirements...and it couldn't, precisely because it's much easier to create a game where anything can be player generated content.

Final-Fan said:

Gee, is this subjectivity I hear?  You're saying that this criteria doesn't objectively prove anything, but rather SUGGESTS that some other kind of quality might exist in the game?

No, this criteria obviously proves something that is objective. That objective thing may not be enough to prove that a game was made with a lot of effort and resources. For example, I can have a game settled in a huge and empty outerspace (let's say equivalent to 5000km2). That doesn't demand work and thus that is a flaw in my criteria. Another example is you telling me 3 games that qualify for Nintendo under the same requirement (gameplay with more than 100 variants) and nothing more. There's not a game that qualifies under other requirement. There's not a game that qualifies under 2 or 3 requirements. Plus, 2 of the 3 games aren't even developed by Nintendo. See? My system has flaws. But at least it's a strong filter. First we can see what passes through the filter and then we can assess the results like I just did for Nintendo. That assessment is subjetive. But the initial filter is objective.

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

My you both have stamina ....

Imagine if you used it for good!

7/7.5 millions

Around the Network
Zod95 said:

If you read my posts you already know that subjectivity allows different opinions and objectivity doesn't.

EDIT:  YOU ALREADY ADDRESS THIS POINT (more or less) IN YOUR OTHER POST, WHICH I AM RESPONDING TO, SO YOU DONT HAVE TO REPLY TO THIS INDEPENDENTLY (though of course you can if you wish). 

Hey Zod, I know this particular quote if from your talk with a different person but I've been thinking of bringing this up for a while.  Even your objective parameters are susceptible to subjective judgment.  I'll give you an example.  When you speak of the map size (100, 200, 300km) is that actual playable terrain the player can traverse or simply viewable area?  For traversable area, should we judge a racing game with 100% bare flat surfaces the same as a game with complex terrain with lots of objects and stuff in it?  Et cetera. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Zod95 said:
Final-Fan said:

2a4b3a.  You asked "do you, Final-Fan, think that's fair?" That is, you were criticizing my questions about EA and Microsoft games in comparison to your questions about Nintendo games.  My answer is that what I was doing was very different and not equivalent, and therefore not "unfair"; and what I was doing was presenting very specific examples to illustrate a point, those examples being very easy to research if you chose to, which you did.

Ok, and what's your point in showing examples very easy to research?

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3b. 
The game being "about an infinite number of unreal creatures" is a ridiculous way to say the games are similar.  I could say that Pokemon is similar to the Halo series for the same reason (the Flood and the Covenant).  In fact Pokemon is MORE similar to Halo because both of those games have humans while to my knowledge Spore does not.  Anyway, the alleged similarity you based your comparison on has nothing to do with the gameplay, so it's actually fairly worthless IMO. 

Halo is about shooting. The game may have an infinite number of unreal creatures, but what you do is to shoot. And what you do in Pokemon or Spore is to collect an infinite number of unreal creatures. That's what both games are about.

Final-Fan said:

As for the JRPG thing, you are simply revealing your ignorance.  There are two or more main "types" of RPG, JRPG ("Japanese", because the Japanese tend to make these types but not only Japanese make them), WRPG ("Western", ditto), and SRPG ("strategy") etc.

You are assuming I didn't know about the JRPG niche...and you're wrong. The point is: there is no such game genre. If you tell me that's a type or a style, ok. But then I can tell you american driving games have a proper style that is very different from british driving games. Is there anything wrong with that? No, it's not. Each region has its own culture. But then you can't demand a company from a certain region to adopt the culture of another region. EA is american, not japanese. They don't need japanese type of games to be successful.

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3.1  You didn't even attempt to look at my source, did you?  For Goldeneye, I saw on Wikipedia that they based at least some of the level design on the sets from the movie, which is a real life location.  They showed a picture and a screenshot side by side to prove that they did this.  You can require realistic graphics or you can require reality-based graphics, but requiring both of them at the SAME TIME is just pointless.  It's two different requirements.

No, I just require reality-based graphics. And, if you look at both images of that wikipedia picture, you will notice that, graphic quality aside, both places are quite different. It's simply not copied, it's rather inspired on it. I can be tolerant but not that much. I could also say that Midnigh Club 2 (which is supposedly set in Los Angeles, Paris and Tokyo) has photo-realistic environments. But the fact is that they didn't do the photo-realism process and the result is that I'm racing in a city that resembles Paris but I can't say that's Paris. This is not a matter of graphics. This is a matter of detail.

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3.5  FPS, 2D platformer, SHMUP, 3D platformer, puzzle game

FPS: imagine a SWAT5 in which I can recruit to my 5-members-team candidates from a range of endless police officers (with different skills and potential) who want to belong to SWAT. In addition, I can train and develop the skills of my team so that they become sharp in the action, they cooperate well with the other team members and they work well under my tactics and style of operation. This has already hundreds (if not thousands) of gameplay variants.

2D platformer and 3D platformer are about the same genre: platformer: a game with more than 100 playable characters, each one with its own way of moving and attacking.

Shoot-em-up: I really don't know the extent of this genre. Do you consider this to be shoot-em-up?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrePMNLWA9g

Puzzle: a game like The Eye Of Judgment

Final-Fan said:

2a4b3.7  You didn't answer the most important question.

Answer: this measures the depth of a game or the commitment of a developer because online matches with hundreds of players have more lasting appeal and are harder to establish in a game (it demands a lot of work in optimization and other areas).

Yes it is. But "player generated content" is not 1 of the 9 requirements...and it couldn't, precisely because it's much easier to create a game where anything can be player generated content.

Final-Fan said:

Gee, is this subjectivity I hear?  You're saying that this criteria doesn't objectively prove anything, but rather SUGGESTS that some other kind of quality might exist in the game?

No, this criteria obviously proves something that is objective. That objective thing may not be enough to prove that a game was made with a lot of effort and resources. For example, I can have a game settled in a huge and empty outerspace (let's say equivalent to 5000km2). That doesn't demand work and thus that is a flaw in my criteria. Another example is you telling me 3 games that qualify for Nintendo under the same requirement (gameplay with more than 100 variants) and nothing more. There's not a game that qualifies under other requirement. There's not a game that qualifies under 2 or 3 requirements. Plus, 2 of the 3 games aren't even developed by Nintendo. See? My system has flaws. But at least it's a strong filter. First we can see what passes through the filter and then we can assess the results like I just did for Nintendo. That assessment is subjetive. But the initial filter is objective.

2a4b3a. 
For one thing, it means that we can actually prove whether it's true, as opposed to the square mileage thing which is so far basically your opinion. 

2a4b3b1. 
Wrong, in Spore you are creating a race, in Pokemon you are capturing INDIVIDUALS within preexisting varieties of Pokemon.  Even if that difference didn't exist, the gameplay in those games is totally different, to the point where it is just a bad joke that you would say they are so alike based on such a superficial similarity (that doesn't actually exist). 

2a4b3b2. 
JRPGs are really, really different from WRPGs.  You appear to have claimed that JRPG and WRPG don't exist as separate genres, and all I can say to that is that practically everyone disagrees with you.  Beyond that, I am not an expert on racing games but I doubt there is such a difference between American and British ones as exists between J/WRPGs; driving on the other side doesn't count.  After a brief search, I turned up this article which suggests to me that there isn't really what you could call a distinct genre difference but just "some British companies tending to make games that are less simulation-style gameplay".  If you can back up your claim that driving games are divided into genres (or "styles") as distinct as J/W/SRPG, British vs. American or non-British, feel free to give your evidence. 

Again, American companies do make "J"RPGs. 

2a4b3.1
On older systems like the N64, there is a limit to the detail you could reasonably have, no matter how dedicated the developer. 

2a4b3.5
FPS:  I doubt the practicality of such a game system, but I concede that it could be done ... probably poorly. 
Platformer:  I dispute that 2D and 3D are the same genre but concede that you could have 100 characters for both genres, though there would be not much meaningful difference between them and it would detract from the game. 
SHMUP:  No, I don't consider that a SHMUP at all.  One big thing is that it is too focused on level navigation and not enough on shooting enemies.  I gave you like half a dozen examples and a video of one, surely you can go from there. 
Puzzle:  Isn't that a card game?  How is that a puzzle game? 

In summary, it seems to me that shoehorning in that much variation in those areas would make a piss poor platformer.  The FPS could possibly be done well in theory.  EOJ works if you can prove it should be considered a puzzle game.  I don't know the game well but from wikipedia it sure doesn't sound like a puzzle game to me. 

2a4b3.7
Lasting appeal is purely your opinion, and harder work is arguable. 

2b1. 
The point is, if your objective criteria don't actually prove anything about how much work went into the game, then it's not really a filter for quality.  It's just a filter that some games are more likely to pass than others irrespective of their quality.  That renders the whole exercise pointless.  We could instead talk about things that, while being subjective, actually directly have to do with the quality of the game.  But I respect if you don't like to do that for whatever reasons you stated earlier that I don't recall offhand. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

JoeTheBro said:
Dv8thwonder said:

I believe Sony inaddvertently revealed the release date of Mario Kart 8 with their Infamous: Second Son reveal. It makes sense given Nintendo's current software release strategies.

Huh? You think MK8 is releasing March 21 or whatever day secodn son is?

Yes, the date is March 21st, 2014 It fits in line with Nintendo's current software release strategies. I'm actually predicting this will occur: Mario Kart 8 will get a bundle but that's an obvious one but I'm also expecting a WW release to coincide with the bundle.

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Mr Khan said:
ps4tw said:
RedPikmin95 said:

380k? It will double this at black friday xD

Seriously, 8 - 9 million is rather possible....about 5-5.5m of them in USA (Nov + Dec)

other aspects:

* Wii U in Japan without competition

* several Bundles will be released - i.e. 3 in Europe (Nov 8; Nov 15; Nov 22)(which are supposed to be "evergreens")

* don't underestimate the power of Super Mario, also: Nintendo's IPs are actually enjoying a growth, not a downfall

* give the "casual market" a chance :P 

* Nintendo is strong at holiday seasons in general

Just continue to wait ;)

You are just pulling figures outta air. 

The Wii U has little momentum in Japan. This won't magically multiply by 100's. 

Bundles don't matter if people don't care for the console. It's an "8th" gen console with 7th gen power and no interesting IP's for non Mario loving gamers. Ninteno IP's aren't growing - look at NSMB on Wii U.

Casual market has left consoles for now. They won't be back this Christmas. 

Christmas didn't save the N64 or GC so why will it save the WIiU?? Everyone has been blinded by the Wii and forgot Nintendo's track history before it. The WiiU is all but dead, get over it - if you can't handle that then you really, really need to go outside. 

Your attitude in this thread has you treading on thin ice. Cool it.

Fair do tho as a mod do you QC threads before theyre live as this one is just crazy talk. 

In terms of BF sales, it`s hard to predict how it will do when we have reports that the mario bundle is selling out and at the same time that it`s shipments aren`t high to begin with.
In that sense, it`s hard to gauge the real appeal of Wii U and the actual bundle.
Also, the Skylanders bundle for NA might add something to the sales.

I think that if stores decide to order more than they are doing now, numbers may surprise us.