By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 version of achievements?

I think this is a good thing for PS3. Achievements are cool and definitely can be a tie breaker when buying a game for my friends who own multiple consoles.

However, I can't help but think how PS3 here is blatantly ripping off 360's idea tho...

I guess i'll see how it all plays out...maybe sony lets you use achievement for other things...like DLC.

Around the Network

thats pretty ill! i hope theres some kind of achievement system in the future, thats my fav thing about 360!

disolitude said:
I think this is a good thing for PS3. Achievements are cool and definitely can be a tie breaker when buying a game for my friends who own multiple consoles.

However, I can't help but think how PS3 here is blatantly ripping off 360's idea tho...

I guess i'll see how it all plays out...maybe sony lets you use achievement for other things...like DLC.

What else are they going to do? Achievements are something that work and people from both 360 and PS3 sides are asking for them so they'd have to at least try and offer something similar. 

IllegalPaladin said:
disolitude said:

What else are they going to do? Achievements are something that work and people from both 360 and PS3 sides are asking for them so they'd have to at least try and offer something similar.

I understand the business mechanics behind it...

But lets say you come up with a cool new soda drink and call it vanilla coke...and then i just copy it and call it vanilla pepsi..you don't see a moral issue there?

But I guess its kinda like when PS1 introduced rumble technology in their controllers and then everyone coppied...or was it nintendo? 

Wow, that is really cool!!

Its about time PS3 got some sort of "achievment" system.

I wonder how this is going to tie into home. Maybe as a trophy or maybe as more of a "gamerscore" sorta deal?

When trophies were announced I at first thought they were something that could be used in HOME. For example if you unlocked an achievment in DMC4 you would get a sweet Dante poster for your HOME apartment. Or maybe if you beat got 100% completion in GTAIV you would get a shirt for your avatar to wear that said "I beat GTAIV and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" like in GTA: Vice City.

How awesome would that be?

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Around the Network

Personally, I couldn't care less for achievements or accomplishments... then again, I don't normally play online just to prove some kind of self serving point.

I'm not that competitive either. I prefer cooperative games.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

disolitude said:
IllegalPaladin said:
disolitude said:

I understand the business mechanics behind it...

But lets say you come up with a cool new soda drink and call it vanilla coke...and then i just copy it and call it vanilla pepsi..you don't see a moral issue there?

But I guess its kinda like when PS1 introduced rumble technology in their controllers and then everyone coppied...or was it nintendo?

Funny you bring up pepsi and coke. Anyway, I don't know which came out first, but I like both Vanilla Coke and Vanilla Pepsi. One company comes out with something, the other does something similar to try to not fall behind. Also, how do you know it's a 100% direct copy? It's merely another company's take on trying to offer a similar product. In this case, Vanilla Coke comes out, so Pepsi does something similar with their own take on it, thus Vanilla Pepsi comes out (or whichever was first). 

Vanilla coke came first :)

Nah, I hear ya...I'm sure PSN achievements will be awesome. Its what makes progress...

Kinda like the famous Borat quote... "I get a window from a glass, he must get a window from a glass. I get a step, he must get a step. I get a clock-radio, he cannot afford. Great success!"

Im gonna be pissed if Sony apes Microsoft and makes a lazy transition from 'Achievements" to "Accomplishements".

Just stick to "Trophies" god damn it. On completely professional stage it sounds both more original and attractive.

I'd rather see a pop-up saying "New Trophy saved!" than "Accomplishment unlocked".

Sony needs to learn to differenciate themselves in some categories.

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

I don't care about achievments, I hated people for playing crappy games over and over again to get that extra 10 points of achievement points.

But I do like is to have a trophy to put it in your PS HOME, just to show that you've beaten the game. That's okay with me.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)