By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Update: Xbox One 12GB RAM upgrade debunked by Microsoft

VG247

Xbox One isn’t getting a RAM upgrade form 8GB to 12GB, Microsoft’s product planning manager Albert Penello has confirmed.

The rumours started after Penello took to NeoGAF to discuss the Xbox One’s specs last month. He wrote, “I would like to pose this question to the audience. There are several months until the consoles launch, and [as] any student of the industry will remember, specs change.

“Given the rumored specs for both systems, can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?

“I believe the debate on this could give some light to why we don’t want to engage in a specification debate until both boxes are final and shipping.”

The rumours started to fly, but Penello has now debunked the whole lot on Twitter.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/09/xbox-one-12gb-ram-upgrade-rumours-debunked-by-microsoft/

Around the Network

There is no better ram than more ram.

It won't happen if they wish to retain a synchronous 256bit bus set-up, unless they are willing to go with a 384 bit bus which increases PCB complexity, requires more memory chips and thus drives up costs.

So, with that, I'm 90% sure that I'm 100% positive it won't happen, especially this near to launch.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

does it have GDDR5 RAM?

sniper989 said:
does it have GDDR5 RAM?

This isn't important if you have more ram.

Around the Network

We have been in contact with several people and there are a few updates on this rumor to be addressed. Keep in mind that these are anonymous sources, but the information that was given comes from a reliable source.

sniper989 said:
does it have GDDR5 RAM?

When memory constrained... More Ram > Faster Ram.

Plus, the Xbox One with it's weaker graphics processor by it's very nature will be less demanding on the bandwidth.

Granted, it's better to have both faster and more Ram. :) But we aren't talking about the PC here! :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I've heard that the PS4 can't even take advantage of 8GB if they were all allocated to the games. so what's the point of this?

walsufnir said:
sniper989 said:
does it have GDDR5 RAM?

GDDR5 is 2.25x faster than DDR3 on average, that is a pretty large amount

sniper989 said:
walsufnir said:
sniper989 said:
does it have GDDR5 RAM?

GDDR5 is 2.25x faster than DDR3 on average, that is a pretty large amount

Faster is not well said: more bandwidth, this is right. But whatever, every sane person would favor more ram over faster ram, especially such a big jump. 50% more ram is also a pretty large amount.