By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Power Reviews Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

Riot Of The Blood said:
loadedstatement said:

There have many many improvements. Whether you deem then a step in the right direction or a step backward is your opinion. I guess we will see when the game comes out. Until then, I too reserve judgement. (Although based on the extensive amounts of music, videos, and information I have on the game, I can safely say that I will enjoy the game thoroughly)

There are improvement; I wouldn't expect anything less from Nintendo. However, when I watch gameplay vids of this game, it doesn't look like a huge step up from the last game. The last game is at 89% on gamerankings. With that in mind, does this game really look so much better than the last Smash borthers that it should be 95%+ game?

Neos, I was not trolling. If you can't handle an opinion that isn't pro-Nintendo, that's just to bad.

If you don't think it's improved from Melee, then you either didn't spend much time with Melee, or don't know much about Brawl. It's 10 times bigger and more polished than melee. It's got a whole extra game inside of it, that could've been sold seperately and gotten rave reviews and sold millions. It's has a soundtrack worth having an eargasm over (almost 300 full songs [compared to melee's 40 or so], mostly orchestral or remixes of Nintendo classics, with a gigantic list of artists and composers), Graphics that are drool worthy regardless of platform at a silky smooth 60 fps, a crapload of fanservice in the way of demos of classic games, over 600 collectible trophies to earn, histories of game series along with box art from the games to collect,, co-op in person and online for just about every mode (actually I think it is every mode except classic), tons of little side games like speed runs for break the targets, sandbag, that shooting game, online betting for spectator matches, event matches, a gigantic cast, a buttload of stages, not to mention a detailed stage creator, mail recorded videos and screenshots of your own matches, the list goes on and on.

Melee looks like a flash game compared to Brawl. Asking if brawl is enough of an improvement to warrant an increased score is a laughable question.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:
loadedstatement said:

There have many many improvements. Whether you deem then a step in the right direction or a step backward is your opinion. I guess we will see when the game comes out. Until then, I too reserve judgement. (Although based on the extensive amounts of music, videos, and information I have on the game, I can safely say that I will enjoy the game thoroughly)

There are improvement; I wouldn't expect anything less from Nintendo. However, when I watch gameplay vids of this game, it doesn't look like a huge step up from the last game. The last game is at 89% on gamerankings. With that in mind, does this game really look so much better than the last Smash borthers that it should be 95%+ game?

Neos, I was not trolling. If you can't handle an opinion that isn't pro-Nintendo, that's just to bad.

On a completely unrelated note, I totally dig your avatar and signature. 

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

loadedstatement said:

A forum member by the name of Ezz has posted excerpts from the review over on the Nintendo NSider2 Forums:

"I'm ecstatic to report... that Brawl isn't just amazing, and it isn't just one of the best titles on Wii, but it's one of the very best games that Nintendo has ever produced."

The single biggest new addition to Brawl is The Subspace Emissary, a vastly expanded adventure mode that by itself is well worth the price of admission. Just imagine if you'd never heard of the Smash series, but someone told you that nintendo made a side-scrolling action/adventure game starring all of its top characters-you'd flip out, right? And to think, Brawl throws it in as a bonus! I can't stress enough that this mode isn't some fluffed-out afterthought- it's packed with loads of enemies and stage types, offers incredible boss battles, supports two-player co-op, and has lots of classic Nintendo references for long-time fans to geek out over. The cinema scenes are gorgeous and contain a long list of cool and funny moments, and I'm pretty sure that Brawl has more cinemas than all other Nintendo games ever made combined. The Subspace Emissary takes longer than many top stand-alone action games to finish, and even more play value can be found in clearing each stage on harder difficulties."

It's a testmament to the talent of the developers that I even enjoy playing as Diddy Kong- I've always hated that guy."

The game's control feels smoother than Melee's; you're less likely to accidentally jerk a quick character off a ledge. And, being the type of Melee player that never totally clicked with pressing up on the analog stick to jump, the game plays much better for me now that Brawl has the option to make jumps button-only"

Maybe, if I set my mind to it, I could scrounge up some negative things to say about the game, some details that could've used a tiny bit more polish. But against the grand scope of how much Brawl does amazingly well, any other possible concerns would be trivial at best. To deny this game a 10 purely for the sake of shying away from the top of our review scale would be a shameful disservice to one of the greatest gaming achievements in years. Rarely has any title delivered so much amazing action, such a wide variety of modes, and so many hours of value. It doesn't get any better than this"

- Chris Slate

Final Score: 10/10

Source: NSider2 Forums

NOTE: Once real scans of the review come, I will edit this post.

self indulgent tripe......

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Smash is broken.

Not to mention the only other game that received a 10 from Nintendo Power was Metroid Prime 3.

Smash is broken because, I was playing it earlier today and I was like "all the characters are way too cheap, overpowered, or underpowered." There are what? like 12 different attacks you can do? That is way less than say a superior fighting game such as Soul Calibur (not III though).

I like Smash. I hate how cheap it can be.

The real question is: How did Nintendo Power get the game so early? Unless they reviewed the Japanese version. Even then, it has to have been a few weeks since they got SSBB anyways.

Snesboy said:
Smash is broken.

Not to mention the only other game that received a 10 from Nintendo Power was Metroid Prime 3.

Smash is broken because, I was playing it earlier today and I was like "all the characters are way too cheap, overpowered, or underpowered." There are what? like 12 different attacks you can do? That is way less than say a superior fighting game such as Soul Calibur (not III though).

The real question is: How did Nintendo Power get the game so early? Unless they reviewed the Japanese version. Even then, it has to have been a few weeks since they got SSBB anyways.

You're serious?

Each character has more like 20+ unique moves, but even then, the importance of Smash is the freedom of movement, how you can strategize with your moves much more than lots of fighters.

I guess it can be cheap with some items, or the slight imbalances of some characters, but I wouldn't say it's as bad as you're saying...players with average to good skills should be fine with any character of their choice.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

I don't even know if that's a jokepost or not, from Snesboy.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Snesboy, Smash is one of the few games where button-mashing will NEVER will you a match against a competitive player.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Why another month? Why? *goes to cry*

BenKenobi88 said:
Snesboy said:
Smash is broken.

You're serious?

Each character has more like 20+ unique moves, but even then, the importance of Smash is the freedom of movement, how you can strategize with your moves much more than lots of fighters.

I guess it can be cheap with some items, or the slight imbalances of some characters, but I wouldn't say it's as bad as you're saying...players with average to good skills should be fine with any character of their choice.

i agree! snesboy-u must have not played smash the "real"(not button mashing) way before. Each character has a whole host of moves and there is more strategy than u think involved in smash

I wonder which site will first break the 10/10 streak...

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558