By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the X1 upgrade is good for PS gamers

53mhz still doesn't put it at the GPU level of the PS4. Still a nice increase though.

Around the Network

I don't think we will see the same pattern with Multiplats next-gen as we did last gen. Reason is that the new consoles are using the exact same architecture. So developers don't need to figure out too much, the only thing they have to fiddle around with is that esRAM on Xbox. But other than that, they can upgrade the graphics on stronger hardware pretty easy. So I think multiplats on PS4 will have some better effects or some more fps. Maybe we will see some games in 1080p on PS4 and in 720p on Xbox. We'll have to wait and see. But I don't think developers just let the power of the PS4 unused. On the PS3, they had trouble with both the cell and rubbish development tools. Won't happen this time around.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
I don't think we will see the same pattern with Multiplats next-gen as we did last gen. Reason is that the new consoles are using the exact same architecture. So developers don't need to figure out too much, the only thing they have to fiddle around with is that esRAM on Xbox. But other than that, they can upgrade the graphics on stronger hardware pretty easy. So I think multiplats on PS4 will have some better effects or some more fps. Maybe we will see some games in 1080p on PS4 and in 720p on Xbox. We'll have to wait and see. But I don't think developers just let the power of the PS4 unused. On the PS3, they had trouble with both the cell and rubbish development tools. Won't happen this time around.

Unless its really easy or Sony pays them to do it I don't see developers using the full potential of the PS4 for multiplats, they will probably just use the least amount of resources possible, especially with making games for next gen being so risky, if they don't sell a certain million amount of copies then the game is considered a failure. 

psrock said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
psrock said:
The X1 did not get an upgrade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPGj1WndVM

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/08/02/report-microsoft-to-announce-upgraded-gpu-speed-for-xbox-one.aspx

It's the same GPU, It was just overclocked. 

Still a boost all the same. Don't underestimate the difference gaining 5 fps can make. That's huge if you're attempting to maintain a solid 30 or 60 FPS.  Secondly it states the drivers were better optimized which can result in a HUGE performance boost without changing any hardware.

ganoncrotch said:
wait I've just read about this now? they've turned up the heat on their GPU before launch? is this really a good idea? I mean Overclocking stock parts might not have immediate negative impacts on the consoles but overclocking will always lower the life expectancy of hardware. I would rather have a machine that was a tiny bit slower but was going to last forever than have 2fps more but have the potential to cook its own brain like the 360 was famous for doing.

Worst thing is the reason they're overclocking the GPU their using rather than just going for a higher end model to begin with is all down to it having to budget from it's core gaming hardware for the mandatory set of 1080p, IR, motion tracking, voice recognition laden cameras which come with each machine. I like Kinect the way it is now, you can opt in for it, but not if it's coming at the possible cost of system stability to keep up with its competition.

No no no lol.

Microsoft calculated 800 mhz for the gpu based off simulations and such. Upon getting actual final hardware to test, they've determined the real world is ever so slightly different then their expectations. Hence 853 mhz now.

It's like calculating how many jelly beans fit in a jar based off volume. The numbers predict 800. Well upon pouring in 800 the jar still has some room, so they fit in 53 more jelly beans. This is not the same as filling a jar full of jelly beans and then deciding to shove more in that shouldn't fit.

Around the Network

That is some extreme upgrade, let's hope the pixel counter doesn't shatter!

Xen said:

I'm guessing you are being a bit sarcastic here but 53mhz is actually a far bit extra to play around with when it comes to in game things. Could mean the difference between having to cut out smoke from tires screeching up in forza or extra particle effects on fireballs etc in KI. It's a great thing as long as like I said doesn't run the risk of extra particles of fire inside the actual machine.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
Xen said:

I'm guessing you are being a bit sarcastic here but 53mhz is actually a far bit extra to play around with when it comes to in game things. Could mean the difference between having to cut out smoke from tires screeching up in forza or extra particle effects on fireballs etc in KI. It's a great thing as long as like I said doesn't run the risk of extra particles of fire inside the actual machine.

Well... from overclocking videocards on PC I can say that at least for them, a number like that is not all that much beneficial. Since the X1 a PC in most regards, I doubt it's gonna change much.

The biggest problem for PS4 right now has nothing to do with similarities in graphics between the two and multiplatform. The biggest problem is that Microsoft is embracing the cloud as a main feature while Sony is not. A lot of multiplatform games will take advantage of the cloud, if not early on later on. This will be the difference between the two, as the cloud will give the X1 advantages for people who play online. Im betting Sony will embrace the cloud by the end of the generation.

As for specs, developers has been saying for months and months they are similar and see no differences.  This whole one is more powerful than the other is just fanwars.

JayWood2010 said:

The biggest problem for PS4 right now has nothing to do with similarities in graphics between the two and multiplatform. The biggest problem is that Microsoft is embracing the cloud as a main feature while Sony is not. A lot of multiplatform games will take advantage of the cloud, if not early on later on. This will be the difference between the two, as the cloud will give the X1 advantages for people who play online. Im betting Sony will embrace the cloud by the end of the generation.

As for specs, developers has been saying for months and months they are similar and see no differences.  This whole one is more powerful than the other is just fanwars.

The cloud Microsoft has advertized nothing but a pr buzzword. The real world cloud that games will use is much less impressive. Plus, the PS4 can use it too.

Unless you are talking about things from the perspective of the general public, you are dead wrong.