By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Why Nintendo Games Aren't Works of Art

Suke said:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/19304/1/iwata-why-nintendo-games-arent-works-of-art.html

I can agree that not all games doesn't need to be a work of art. People just want to play a fun game with great gameplay, but I feel that sort of rip the image of game, make it feel more souless. Which was a bit of my main issue with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Kart Wii, 3D Land, etc. I know Miyamoto shows his creativity of art with Skyward Sword and the recent Pikmin 3, but it sound like you guys are slowly losing the meaning of game design. This may not be a big deal to you, but for me, a huge fan and inspiration artist who follow Nintendo form of design during the GameCube days.....I'm highly disappointed. I'm at the point if the Wii U does do well, I still may end up selling my mine for another console. The Nintendo I remember is long dead as far as I know and I just need to face the facts. 3D Worlds was a massive kick to the face when I first saw it and I just proceed through the day with a fake smile on my face.

I know buisness come first so I wish you guys the best this Holiday season. What's your take on this? Again, this just my opinion, I'm not hattin on Nintendo.

PS. Still love my 3DS XL :3

Nintendo has had this philophy since the beginning, so to assume they were more artsy during the gamecube days is naive. I think they feel that devs that attempt to be artsy forget the fundamental point of a game and therefor lose the "soul. I'd be inclined to agree. TLOU was a fantastic adventure but was nothing special on the gameplay front; which is why I will never play it again. The other day my brother was having trouble with Mario Galaxy 2 and I picked up the Wiimote to help and I thought to myself "Nintendo understands their shit!" anyways, just my opinion

Around the Network

I some ways, what Iwata says perfectly resonates with how Nintendo makes their games. Their games typically have simple controls, an easy learning curve and most of them are made for general audiences instead of focusing strictly on kids or strictly on adults. What also makes sense about what Iwata is saying is how Nintendo talks about their own games. They talk about the play mechanics and how they work. It's the total opposite of another company like Epic games who will practically be masturbating on stage to their own game engine and talk about small mundane details that most people aren't going to notice when playing a game.

This also resonates with certain things Shigeru Miyamoto has said in the past. For example he once said that when creating certain scenarios in a game, he often thinks about how the player will react to it, the expression they might get on their face. So when Nintendo says they're trying to make whatever audiences will accept, keep in mind that what they do is theoretical. They have to predict how audiences will react to their products because their is no real way of knowing and Nintendo isn't the kind of company who obsesses with focus groups like Microsoft.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Didn't read it, but If Iwata doesn't think video games is an art form then I have a fundamental disagreement with him. And if you look at the definition of art in it's broad context then I'm right and he's wrong, simple as that really.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Saying that Nintendo develop games that first and foremost aim to entertain consumers does not mean that they do not create works of art. As usual, there's a subtle distinction that gets lost.

Gameplay always come first because til the end it is a game after all. Its just nice to add an artistic flavor to the traditional gameplay from time time, personality and stuff. For example: Kirby Epic Yard, Super Mario Sunshine and Mario and Luigi Series.

Not all need to be a masterpiece or anything, but its always nice to change up the game to give it a certain image.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network

You can already tell that there was something lost in translation/he didn´t express himself very well !

Of course games aren't art, what kind of pretentious statement is that? Games are games. They do have art components in them though such as graphics, music, and creative writing.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Of course games aren't art, what kind of pretentious statement is that? Games are games. They do have art components in them though such as graphics, music, and creative writing.

Yes..thus the evolution of the definition of art. Any medium which expands the capabilities for art to be shown and to touch others expands the defintion. Videogames can touch people and have the same effect that a movie gives to a person today. Games can also confuse the mind and create the broad spectrum of emotions through art style and gameplay (again...Journey/SOCT). Art styles affect certain emotions. For instance, Nintendos art style is formulated to attract children or bring out your inner child if you're not a child.

If you're deliberately playing Sunshine over either Galaxy game because of 'art' then you're doing something wrong.

The gameplay in the Galaxy games is an 'art' itself.

VGChartz

milkyjoe said:
If you're deliberately playing Sunshine over either Galaxy game because of 'art' then you're doing something wrong.

The gameplay in the Galaxy games is an 'art' itself.

Gameplay can be considered a work of art. As tech expands gameplay becomes more sophisticated thus allowing for movements to cause us to emotionally respond. It doesn't even have to be movements interacting with the environment  with mood change like in Journey or flower, but rather  a setting or a build up of gameplay events up to a climactic use of power in gameplay (IE: from low to high powered attacks and a finale of a masterfually animated qte), or in Shadow of the Colossus. What would you do to save the woman you love? How many Colossi would you hunt, climb and kill to revive her? By the end of the game you look at back at all you did just to save that girl  sprinkle on some sad yet spiritual music and it hits you like a ton of bricks. The soundtrack for that game was amazing.