By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: Why Nintendo Games Aren't Works of Art

http://www.cubed3.com/news/19304/1/iwata-why-nintendo-games-arent-works-of-art.html

I can agree that not all games doesn't need to be a work of art. People just want to play a fun game with great gameplay, but I feel that sort of rip the image of game, make it feel more souless. Which was a bit of my main issue with Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Kart Wii, 3D Land, etc. I know Miyamoto shows his creativity of art with Skyward Sword and the recent Pikmin 3, but it sound like you guys are slowly losing the meaning of game design. This may not be a big deal to you, but for me, a huge fan and inspiration artist who follow Nintendo form of design during the GameCube days.....I'm highly disappointed. I'm at the point if the Wii U does do well, I still may end up selling my mine for another console. The Nintendo I remember is long dead as far as I know and I just need to face the facts. 3D Worlds was a massive kick to the face when I first saw it and I just proceed through the day with a fake smile on my face.

I know buisness come first so I wish you guys the best this Holiday season. What's your take on this? Again, this just my opinion, I'm not hattin on Nintendo.

Gameplay always come first because til the end it is a game after all. Its just nice to add an artistic flavor to the traditional gameplay from time time, personality and stuff. For example: Kirby Epic Yard, Super Mario Sunshine and Mario and Luigi Series. When I said "art", people took that the wrong way, they thought I meant the game to have art as you'll see in a museum. No, I meant "personality", setting up an image for the characters you grow to like, also base around the setting and story.

Not all games need to be a masterpiece or anything, but again, its nice to have an image. I'm still going to support Nintendo, I plan to buy 3D World and W101 (most definitely). 

PS. Still love my 3DS XL :3

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Around the Network

this is why i love nintendo they put the fun factor of games first and for most

"It's not like we are making pieces of art, the point is to make a product that resonates with and is accepted by customers."

Ugh. Just...ugh.

Words really can't describe how frustrating it is to hear this from people like them.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Darn it Iwata! People will use this as ammo against Nintendo games.

I don't see what the big deal is. He's not doing an Ebert and saying games can't be art, in fact he seems to imply the opposite. He's saying he doesn't think of his own products as such and it's not a priority for him.

As someone who has been around academics who faun over asinine postmodern prose, I can appreciate the sentiment.

Around the Network

To a degree, I agree with him. As soons as games start becoming art people want to make em more like movies.

Heck Bioshock Infinite, critically acclaimed for it's gameplay was called "art". But the gameplay played like a generic shooter.

Now on the other hand, good gameplay doesn't mean a bad story, but good gameplay is easier to appreciate than good storytelling in a game as they age.

Of the greatest games of all time, not many as considered that because of their story.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I never said it was a bad thing, its their product they can do what they want with it. Just for me (personally) it's like a let down.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

Oh no, Nintendo wants people to enjoy their games. Scandal!

Why did I even bother to open this thread?  My goodness, cry me a river.  So sorry your inner artist has been hurt by a dev/pub saying that they aren't making their games with the intention of being "art" and you just must sell your console.  Galaxy, Kart and 3DWorld soul-less?  It's a game, not Motown.  Go ahead, trade it in for a cpl pacifiers and a blanky.

Mario Kart 8 and Monolith Soft's X are looking great. I think what Iwata is trying to say is that instead of focusing on expressing what they want, like an artist, they try to give a product that people will enjoy.