By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anyone ever thought of this... maybe its a good thing Wii U had a rough first year?

Will the Wii U be a success?

yes 231 70.43%

no 97 29.57%

Total:328
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I never said that a wiimote wasnt tangible value-add in, far from it. I am saying by virtue of it always being secondary in the gamers eye and not a successor to the slowly evolving traditional gamer pad leaves it as a gimmick. They will always be searching for some new peripheral to make gaming easier or different from last gen. Nintendo didnt mind that they caught the worlds attention, even if it was just for an instant.

100M gamers voted for the Wii. I'm not sure it is completely secondary, but more that Nintendo abandoned it prematurely.

Hopefully with the rise of the U the motion controls will come back. I already miss them.The traditional controller being enjoyed is like people sticking to retro graphics. Enjoying retro graphics doesn't devaluate the importance of graphics, nor does it devaluate the value-add of more cutting-edge graphics. 500M people downloaded angry birds. I believe that's more than the # of cutting-edge graphics games sold last gen.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The guy I spoke to agreed. Whats so ridiculous about it?

He agreed, but not for the reasons you mentioned. You mentioned that it offered  the same graphics as current-gen systems, making it hard for consumers to disambiguate it. He's saying it doesn't differentiate itself enough in terms of software, making it unappealing.

Ambiguous and unappealing are two very different things.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

One of the major problems for the Wii U is that most gamers cant tell the difference between it and the current gen consoles, since all the offerings are on par with current gen.

Apart from the fact that most kids own a Wii and see that the U is much more colorful and graphically superior to the Wii, and it also has a TABLET.

If this is true and i believe it is, why are they NOT updating to the superior console

NintendoPie said:
snyps said:

That's precisely the point. Likelast time the competition will have to wait and then play catch up if its a success. Were as if success was indicated early on the competition would have integrated a tablet controller at launch.

Wait... what?

The Wii was a success when it released, MS and Sony didn't have their motion control things out for awhile after the Wii released. Also, Sony and MS wouldn't be able to just come up with a Tablet controller in a few months time. 

Edit: If the Wii U is a success there either will or won't be copies. If it isn't, there won't be any. Either way, it won't give Nintendo an advantage. I think... you've confused me... I think...

But 360 launched first and PS3/Wii launched about the same time. No one even considered Nintendo winning last gen.

What he is saying with one year head start and if WiiU sold like crazy ie 10million units by now, then Sony and Micrososft may have started considering a gamepad.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I never said that a wiimote wasnt tangible value-add in, far from it. I am saying by virtue of it always being secondary in the gamers eye and not a successor to the slowly evolving traditional gamer pad leaves it as a gimmick. They will always be searching for some new peripheral to make gaming easier or different from last gen. Nintendo didnt mind that they caught the worlds attention, even if it was just for an instant.

100M gamers voted for the Wii. I'm not sure it is completely secondary, but more that Nintendo abandoned it prematurely.

Hopefully with the rise of the U the motion controls will come back. I already miss them.The traditional controller being enjoyed is like people sticking to retro graphics. Enjoying retro graphics doesn't devaluate the importance of graphics, nor does it devaluate the value-add of more cutting-edge graphics. 500M people downloaded angry birds. I believe that's more than the # of cutting-edge graphics games sold last gen.

Dude...the people who bought the Wii bought it because of the commercial nature of the product. It was a quick and fun product that made gaming lose its rough around the edges wall. It brought the people together, but that is a risk. Angry birds is a cheap phone or tablet game, so of course you would see loads of people paying for it if its fun and simple. Its like the argument of Avant Garde vs Kitsch all over again. Simple if pulled off right will always gather people in droves, psychologically speaking. I studied this in school.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

One of the major problems for the Wii U is that most gamers cant tell the difference between it and the current gen consoles, since all the offerings are on par with current gen.

Apart from the fact that most kids own a Wii and see that the U is much more colorful and graphically superior to the Wii, and it also has a TABLET.

If this is true and i believe it is, why are they NOT updating to the superior console

Price and games.

The same was being said about the 3DS, but it's starting to sell. My manager's kid, just a regular kid who lives in a small town, knew that the 3DS was the upgrade to the DS. I was surprised because I keep hearing the opposite (like what S.T.A.G.E said) on online forums.

Nah, kids know, the price might just be too steep right now, that's all.

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:

Price and games.

The same was being said about the 3DS, but it's starting to sell. My manager's kid, just a regular kid who lives in a small town, knew that the 3DS was the upgrade to the DS. I was surprised because I keep hearing the opposite (like what S.T.A.G.E said) on online forums.

Ok....lets wait until they drop price. Shall we make a wager? The games are not looking good enough to outshine of the PS4 and Xbone have got coming. They bought monolith and paid for Platinum Games titles which makes good niche titles, but this doesn't mean squat for anything else. I think you know something I don't.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

but there not voting for the WIi U

The 2nd paragraph makes no sense at all. You can play any genre with traditional controls, thats why their not going anywhere but you cant say the same for motion controls.

Cobretti2 said:
NintendoPie said:
snyps said:

That's precisely the point. Likelast time the competition will have to wait and then play catch up if its a success. Were as if success was indicated early on the competition would have integrated a tablet controller at launch.

Wait... what?

The Wii was a success when it released, MS and Sony didn't have their motion control things out for awhile after the Wii released. Also, Sony and MS wouldn't be able to just come up with a Tablet controller in a few months time. 

Edit: If the Wii U is a success there either will or won't be copies. If it isn't, there won't be any. Either way, it won't give Nintendo an advantage. I think... you've confused me... I think...

But 360 launched first and PS3/Wii launched about the same time. No one even considered Nintendo winning last gen.

What he is saying with one year head start and if WiiU sold like crazy ie 10million units by now, then Sony and Micrososft may have started considering a gamepad.

But it hasnt sold 10 and might not sell 10 by years end. 

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:
happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Price and games.

so then the concept isnt all that its cracked up to be if price is an issue.