By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anyone ever thought of this... maybe its a good thing Wii U had a rough first year?

Will the Wii U be a success?

yes 231 70.43%

no 97 29.57%

Total:328

WiiU isn't competing against Vita. Vita is a portable. Nintendo would have prefered WiiU to be a successes and be copied, like the Wii, than sell like garbage and no one copies WiiU. If the competition isn't following Nintendo's design it might mean their idea is flawed and maybe it is a bad concept . WiiU is a catastrophe so big that the competition isn't even interested to touch the concept. There's no way to spin it. Not even Nintendo.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

One of the major problems for the Wii U is that most gamers cant tell the difference between it and the current gen consoles, since all the offerings are on par with current gen.

Apart from the fact that most kids own a Wii and see that the U is much more colorful and graphically superior to the Wii, and it also has a TABLET.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Without graphics, videogames aren't videogames. Of course its foundational, the whole point of it being a videogame depends on it.

The Wii Mote, just like the Kinect, Eyetoy, Nintendo gun for Duck Hunt and other items are gimmicks. The Wii U controller wont make it to next gen, mark my words. Nintendo thought the gimmick would work on the casuals but they timed it improperly. Tablets have had a place in the market for years and no videogame console is going to drag the casuals over to Nintendo.

Have fun with your gimmicky graphics without a controller or some form of input. Movies also have graphics, they aren't videogames.

Seriously I can't believe you're arguing this nonsense.

Dude...I think you're confusing yourself. You know full well graphics aren't a gimmick unless they are foreign to an item.

For instance: The holographic baseball or comic book card in the 90's. This was a gimmick used to make baseball cards more appealing.

Lets look at shoes:

LA Light sneakers in the 90's was created to be more appealing to kids and get normal sneakers to fly off of the shelves. More recently it was the roller sneakers.

Those are gimmicks.

I think you're confusing yourself about what a gimmick is.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
archbrix said:

While it's certainly possible that the Gamepad may never catch on regarding the masses, I love these people who are just so sure that it will never be an attraction. Remember people, the Wii had that killer game that sold the idea at the very beginning. WiiU clearly doesn't have that game... yet.

How soon we forget the DS, which had nothing demonstrative of its hook worth noting until Nintendogs several months later, and, most importantly, Brain Age, which came almost a full year and a half after the system's launch in the west.

The fact that the price of WiiU is still a bit steep for the masses further strengthens my point that there's still plenty of time for many people to gravitate to the asymmetric properties that the Gamepad offers... that is, if Nintendo does indeed deliver the right game that sells it.

One of the major problems for the Wii U is that most gamers cant tell the difference between it and the current gen consoles, since all the offerings are on par with current gen.

I agree with your point, but I doubt it's for the same reason.

You are likely basing the lack of distinction on graphics, which is not what I'm talking about. But the fact remains that Nintendo needs software that distinguishes WiiU and the Gamepad as its own unique experience and something that will produce a mass hit.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Apart from the fact that most kids own a Wii and see that the U is much more colorful and graphically superior to the Wii, and it also has a TABLET.

Yes....I am sure the sales will support what you're saying...somewhere. It will have GC/N64 level sales without a gimmick. Highest it will ever each is 40 mil. Watch.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Dude...I think you're confusing yourself. You know full well graphics aren't a gimmick unless they are foreign to an item.

For instance: The holographic baseball or comic book card in the 90's. This was a gimmick used to make baseball cards more appealing.

Lets look at shoes:

LA Light sneakers in the 90's was created to be more appealing to kids and get normal sneakers to fly off of the shelves. More recently it was the roller sneakers.

Those are gimmicks.

I think you're confusing yourself about what a gimmick is.

You said games aren't games without graphics, I replied that games aren't games without a controller.

A hologram may be a gimmick, but a motion controller or padlet is not by virtue of the fact that it has a tangible value-add in terms of data input.

If you're calling controller like the wiimote and padlet gimmicks, then advanced visual effects in games are equally gimmicky. If we play by your rules, we get fallacies, and that's a sign that your rules are fucked up.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Yes....I am sure the sales will support what you're saying...somewhere. It will have GC/N64 level sales without a gimmick. Highest it will ever each is 40 mil. Watch.

"One of the major problems for the Wii U is that most gamers cant tell the difference between it and the current gen consoles, since all the offerings are on par with current gen."

Don't change the subject. The post was ridiculous and you should own up to it.

archbrix said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I agree with your point, but I doubt it's for the same reason.

You are likely basing the lack of distinction on graphics, which is not what I'm talking about. But the fact remains that Nintendo needs software that distinguishes WiiU and the Gamepad as its own unique experience and something that will produce a mass hit.

Yes, my primary point was because of graphical similarities. Most people who dont game generally will look at things from a superficial stanpoint and wont understand the concept of the Wii U until it is shown to them, kind of like the Wii. Graphically the Wii was nothing special, but being that it make gaming leagues simpler for non-gamers and old people it made for great entertainment for the family. A tablet controller is a harder sell because it still requires the mastery of a standard controller with buttons with the addition of a tablet screen, which doesn't make it less harder, but actually more complex. This will cause the casuals to back up when Nintendo only wants them to step closer to their product.

happydolphin said:

You said games aren't games without graphics, I replied that games aren't games without a controller.

A hologram may be a gimmick, but a motion controller or padlet is not by virtue of the fact that it has a tangible value-add in terms of data input.

If you're calling controller like the wiimote and padlet gimmicks, then advanced visual effects in games are equally gimmicky. If we play by your rules, we get fallacies, and that's a sign that your rules are fucked up.

I never said that a wiimote wasnt tangible value-add in, far from it. I am saying by virtue of it always being secondary in the gamers eye and not a successor to the slowly evolving traditional gamer pad leaves it as a gimmick. They will always be searching for some new peripheral to make gaming easier or different from last gen. Nintendo didnt mind that they caught the worlds attention, even if it was just for an instant.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

"One of the major problems for the Wii U is that most gamers cant tell the difference between it and the current gen consoles, since all the offerings are on par with current gen."

Don't change the subject. The post was ridiculous and you should own up to it.

The guy I spoke to agreed. Whats so ridiculous about it?