By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NeoGAF sales-age is a joke

The sales numbers here can sometimes be off by a lot, but usually there's a certain margin where the numbers here are correct. It's ridiculous to not take into account that the numbers here get pretty close a lot of the time.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
ethomaz said:
lol at GAF hate

I think it's a pretty horrible place.

I like both places but to say GAF is horrible is like to say VGC is horrible.

existenz2 said:
gum said:

I like how those guys seem to think that the VGC numbers aren't accurate enough for their brilliant analysis while they obviously don't get even the most simple things about sales-age. Simple concepts like comparative installed bases or killer apps seem for example over their comprehension each time they speak about the actual situation of the WiiU. Reading the amount of stupid hate this console is getting there and lack of any strong understanding of this market on that forum is pretty blattant at this point. I think these message boards have been incredibly overrated for way too long as most comments there, are now mediocre at best and often pure trolling as the moderation seems to be more and more inexistant.

What do you think?

I think a link to illustrate what you are referring to would help enormously.

A link? Well lol I think you could take any of the recent Media Create thread or all the doom and gloom topics about the WiiU and it will fit perfectly. In each of those you can find dozens at least of posts which are just terrible with nobody who seem to disagree. I have explained in a thread why the WiiU is certainly not in the awful position some people seem to think :

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158079&page=1#

And I can tell there is probably noone in NeoGAF that gets any of those simple points. Instead you've got many posts like this one which are only blatant trolling:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73543023&postcount=215

And this is where this is really funny: those guys think the VGC chartz numbers are not accurate enough but their analysis are extremely simplistic: for them if a console sells as much as the GC or the Vita for example it can only mean that it will have the same fate no matter if its situation in terms of installed base relative to its competitors or the actual killer apps to come to this system is totally different. These guys can talk all day to know if a game will sell 240K or 245k but still are obviously unable to know if a console will sell much more than 20 Million even if that's a given.

I could say : "wait and see and if in a year the WiiU is still selling badly and PS4/X1 are already outselling it by a lot then I must be wrong and I'm a probably the one that doesn't get anything about this market not NeoGAF as a whole". But I wo'nt even do that because it would be like saying during the night: "let's see if tomorrow the sea which appears to be black right now will be blue again tomorrow". I'm not here talking about some very complicated concept that need to be proven, no, I'm talking about some of the most simple and proven laws in video games sales-age: that multi million selling games of course are going to drastically change the sales of a console and of course starting this generation with a significantly better installed base instead of a worse like the GC, Xbox or Vita than its competitors is a huge advantage for this console. Those concepts are the most simple ones, the most undisputed ones than you can get and still these guys which are so confident of their theories don't even get that. This, clearly, is a joke.

I've notice most replies are one liners in neogaf. That said, i like going there to find the latest news. I like the community here because it is smaller and much more tighter, if you know what i mean.

Yes, for news and general discussions it's a great forum I think but when it comes to sales... not so much.

Around the Network

gum said:

A link? Well lol I think you could take any of the recent Media Create thread or all the doom and gloom topics about the WiiU and it will fit perfectly. In each of those you can find dozens at least of posts which are just terrible with nobody who seem to disagree. I have explained in a thread why the WiiU is certainly not in the awful position some people seem to think :

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=158079&page=1#

And I can tell there is probably noone in NeoGAF that gets any of those simple points. Instead you've got many posts like this one which are only blatant trolling:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73543023&postcount=215

And this is where this is really funny: those guys think the VGC chartz numbers are not accurate enough but their analysis are extremely simplistic: for them if a console sells as much as the GC or the Vita for example it can only mean that it will have the same fate no matter if its situation in terms of installed base relative to its competitors or the actual killer apps to come to this system is totally different. These guys can talk all day to know if a game will sell 240K or 245k but still are obviously unable to know if a console will sell much more than 20 Million even if that's a given.

I could say : "wait and see and if in a year the WiiU is still selling badly and PS4/X1 are already outselling it by a lot then I must be wrong and I'm a probably the one that doesn't get anything about this market not NeoGAF as a whole". But I wo'nt even do that because it would be like saying during the night: "let's see if tomorrow the sea which appears to be black right now will be blue again tomorrow". I'm not here talking about some very complicated concept that need to be proven, no, I'm talking about some of the most simple and proven laws in video games sales-age: that multi million selling games of course are going to drastically change the sales of a console and of course starting this generation with a significantly better installed base instead of a worse like the GC, Xbox or Vita than its competitors is a huge advantage for this console. Those concepts are the most simple ones, the most undisputed ones than you can get and still these guys which are so confident of their theories don't even get that. This, clearly, is a joke.

I understand your point but the GAF example in this link is accurate about the topic... ASDA (the biggest UK retail) stopped to sell Wii U and the console is near to death.

3DS never passed for this situation even in the worst period...

Wii U tracks on pair or worst than Vita... I'm starting to think Wii U will be the worst console from Nintendo since Gamecube in terms of sales... it is already tracking below GC lol.

More examples to come:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639003

Now let's count how many people on this thread are going to pretend that the Wii Sports fad is over, that Wii Sports U, Wii Fit U won't sell well, that casual gamers won't buy any console ever for whatever reasons... without of course giving a single tangible proof of such claims. Asserting assumptions as facts without giving any argument, there is a name for that: it's just pure trolling. This perfectly illustrates what I'm talking about.

gum said:

More examples to come:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639003

Now let's count how many people on this thread are going to pretend that the Wii Sports fad is over, that Wii Sports U, Wii Fit U won't sell well, that casual gamers won't buy any console ever for whatever reasons... without of course giving a single tangible proof of such claims. Asserting assumptions as facts without giving any argument, there is a name for that: it's just pure trolling. This perfectly illustrates what I'm talking about.

There are a lot of valid points in this thread...

The others comments are more funny jokes than trolling... GAF have more Nintendo fans than the other parts... that specific thread is running fine... no trouble until now.

And people didn't know more what trolling means... everyting comment today is taxed as a troll lol.

PS. If the same thread runs like that here then the mods will be happy.

Really? What valid points? When I read something like that:

"Haven't read the article, but I agree on the points posted. Most people who upgraded from gamecube to wii got burned, so they didn't buy a wii u. At the same time the wii phenomenon was a fad that wouldn't be repeated in todays world of smart phones and tablets. The Wii U just seems like it's aimed at a very small niche that barely exists. I'm part of it, heck I bought a Wii U day one, but I just can't see the system being viable 2-3 years from now. "

I see many comments here that are just pointless assumptions based on no arguments aka trolls:

- "Most people who upgraded from gamecube to wii got burned"

- "the wii phenomenon was a fad that wouldn't be repeated in todays world of smart phones and tablets"

- "The Wii U just seems like it's aimed at a very small niche that barely exists"

- "I just can't see the system being viable 2-3 years from now"

4 trolls in just 1 post and the article in question is also a giant troll, yet I'm sure most people like you will think everything is fine and that's exactly what the problem is.

gum said:

Really? What valid points? When I read something like that:

"Haven't read the article, but I agree on the points posted. Most people who upgraded from gamecube to wii got burned, so they didn't buy a wii u. At the same time the wii phenomenon was a fad that wouldn't be repeated in todays world of smart phones and tablets. The Wii U just seems like it's aimed at a very small niche that barely exists. I'm part of it, heck I bought a Wii U day one, but I just can't see the system being viable 2-3 years from now. "

I agree with these points but I think Nintendo still can revert this situation... this holidays will show the death or rise of the Wii U.

I see many comments here that are just pointless assumptions based on no arguments aka trolls:

- "Most people who upgraded from gamecube to wii got burned"

Maybe it is true... I bought the Wii and it just disapointed me... I will never buy the Wii U... my Wii is even into the box wasting space. I loved N64 and GC... the Wii aimed a way different user base.

- "the wii phenomenon was a fad that wouldn't be repeated in todays world of smart phones and tablets"

The same Wii phenomenon won't happen because it surprised the masses... I can't see that happen anymore now that everybody already play games.

I can't disagree with him because the chances to "Wii phenomenon" happen again is too low.

- "The Wii U just seems like it's aimed at a very small niche that barely exists"

True... in fact Nintendo didn't even know what market they aimed... there are a lot of confunsion with Wii U.

- "I just can't see the system being viable 2-3 years from now"

There are little chances to Wii U be viable in the future... like I said this holiday will define the Wii U future and it have a lot of chances to it go to death.

4 trolls in just 1 post and the article in question is also a giant troll, yet I'm sure most people like you will think everything is fine and that's exactly what the problem is.

My bolded comments.

That's not trolling. 

I'm not trying deffend the the guys that make the comments but I think you are just overreacting to these comments like we saw here in VGC months ago... the mods here changed and the forum became a better place since this changes... now you can make comments without mods overreacting.