By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft IllumiRoom Living Room, Interactive Kinect Projection demo

massive potential here!

I see MS coming out with this towards the middle/end of the Xbox One's lifecycle, similar to Kinect.

With well thought out implementation and decent marketing this can be massive.

I also feel though that certain parts of the demo felt off, but like others have said this is just a POC.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
massive potential here!

I see MS coming out with this towards the middle/end of the Xbox One's lifecycle, similar to Kinect.

I also feel though that certain parts of the demo felt off, but like others have said this is just a POC.

they should release holiday 2014. This would ramp up sales and get many devolopers on board early.

Machiavellian said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
crissindahouse said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
It's cool, but at the same time kinda pointless. Why even have the tv to begin with. Why not just a projector. Mixing the two just seems silly. Not to mention any game that requires body tracking would be useless as now the kinect faces the wrong direction. And what about a second HDMI to feed the projector?

no it's not silly, it's pretty cool. the difference between this and just a bigger screen is that the bigger screen will stll only show the same picture just in big. with something like this you see the same picture and get extra informations around it.

that's like asking why people like permalite use eyefinity on the pc when they could just play with a projector. the difference is simply extra information you get with extra screens or illuminiroom and not only the same information in bigger.

that's a whole different league if we talk about the quality of the experience. 

They could do the same thing with a 1080p projector and it would look better. Plus the bezzle of the tv would be gone.

Could you explain to us how can they do the same thing with a 1080P projector.  Do you even understand what they are doing??  Can you please enlighten us on how you can extend the peripheral perspective being displayed by the primary display.  If your projector is the primary display then it would just display the primary image bigger, it would not extend it.

YOu dont seem to understand what going on. WHy dont you go look into it some more and then come back and tell me why you need a tv. you don't.

DJEVOLVE said:
Shinobi-san said:
massive potential here!

they should release holiday 2014. This would ramp up sales and get many devolopers on board early.

Sooner the better for sure. But I don't see that happening.

They will also need to get this down to a decent price, the current system is already quite expensive. They also need to figure out exactly how they plan on using it. I see a proper reveal at E3 2014 but released in 2015.

These are just complete guesses obviously.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

I have never owned an Xbox before... But I would happily buy one for this. (Depending on price and quality of course)

Around the Network
Mmmfishtacos said:
Machiavellian said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
crissindahouse said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
It's cool, but at the same time kinda pointless. Why even have the tv to begin with. Why not just a projector. Mixing the two just seems silly. Not to mention any game that requires body tracking would be useless as now the kinect faces the wrong direction. And what about a second HDMI to feed the projector?

no it's not silly, it's pretty cool. the difference between this and just a bigger screen is that the bigger screen will stll only show the same picture just in big. with something like this you see the same picture and get extra informations around it.

that's like asking why people like permalite use eyefinity on the pc when they could just play with a projector. the difference is simply extra information you get with extra screens or illuminiroom and not only the same information in bigger.

that's a whole different league if we talk about the quality of the experience. 

They could do the same thing with a 1080p projector and it would look better. Plus the bezzle of the tv would be gone.

Could you explain to us how can they do the same thing with a 1080P projector.  Do you even understand what they are doing??  Can you please enlighten us on how you can extend the peripheral perspective being displayed by the primary display.  If your projector is the primary display then it would just display the primary image bigger, it would not extend it.

YOu dont seem to understand what going on. WHy dont you go look into it some more and then come back and tell me why you need a tv. you don't.

Well, I explained it to you twice.  Did you not read what I stated.  What is the projector doing in this case, it is extending the peripheral perspective of the primary display.  If your projector becomes the primary display then what do you think gets displayed.  It seems you are not understanding the peripheral part.  Think of the peripheral part as the part of your vision that you do not focus on.  You still see things you do not focus on but they are not distint or even sharp.  illumiRoom is looking to produce the same affect within a game.  It allows you to stay focus within the primary display but allow your peripheral vision to see the extended portion displayed by the projector.  

DJEVOLVE said:
Mmmfishtacos said:

Really? I find it hard to believe you even watched the video. This blows away everything I have ever seen. I love it and anyone I show is blown away. You are a very small percentage of people that seems to find something negative to say< Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I wonder why?

I have something negative to say and I'm the least biased person I know.

GIMMICK!!!

But it still is pretty cool. Reminds me of what disneyworld does.

JoeTheBro said:
DJEVOLVE said:

Really? I find it hard to believe you even watched the video. This blows away everything I have ever seen. I love it and anyone I show is blown away. You are a very small percentage of people that seems to find something negative to say< Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I wonder why?

GIMMICK!!!

Maybe for you but I think it's awesome, what they showed off is good enough for me.

DJEVOLVE said:
JoeTheBro said:
DJEVOLVE said:

GIMMICK!!!

Maybe for you but I think it's awesome, what they showed off is good enough for me.

I think it's awesome too but it's still a gimmick. All it is is cool.

Pretty cool. If this ever gets released it could be a selling point for Xbox One.
It depends on price though.