By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does it make sense to call the WiiU a failure at this point in time?

Does it make any sense?

Yes 145 33.11%

No 291 66.44%

Total:436

It makes sense to say its not done well so far. But, I thought the PS3 was going to fail too. And IMO vita is more of a failure with little chance outside of Japan IMO.

That said PS3 Bombed its first year or so. However, the PS3 was the most powerful console that was a pain in the butt to develop for, so it's initial period was harsh.

Personally I think Nintendo tried to do an underpowered console with gimmick/unique controller whatever you want to call it like they did last gen. It worked last gen, and hasn't worked so far this gen.

But, it just takes one thing like wii fit, or something that utilizes its controller and it's fortunes will turn.

Around the Network

At this point, yes. The Wii U is a failure. It missed projections, ended up slumping quickly after the holiday season, and has had a major game drought. Maybe that's not what you want to hear, but it's true.

Now, if the Wii U starts picking up after the release of the many games coming out in the Holiday season, I'll retract my statement. But if it spikes, then quickly drops back (which I'm thinking it won't) then I'll still call it a failure.

Also, I would like to bring up the Vita. I would call it a failure. It's been on the market for a much longer time than the Wii U and Sony has shown that they really just don't seem to have anything lined up for it. The only reason I say Wii U is a "failure up to this point" is because it has something big coming for it, the Vita doesn't have anything big coming for it.

I think it is early. We can give the system some time still.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

This should have been the thread you made instead of making two damage control/butthurt threads.

OT A letdown? maybe. getting its ass kicked, yep. A failure too soon to tell.

@ OP FYI a few people calling it a failure are Ninty fans, so we can put this who "Sony fanboys" thing to rest.

Around the Network

No, it doesn't make sense to call the Wii U a failure before all of its biggest games come out. If it is still selling this poorly after the holidays, then it can be called a failure.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

Let's be clear on this: the Wii U is failing. It is not making money, it is not meeting Nintendo's expectations, and it's helped erode Nintendo's third-party support.

Nintendo may yet turn it around, and it's entirely possible it could later be a success. But just because something has potential to succeed later does not mean it isn't failing. I can't imagine how someone could call it a success right now, at the very least.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Depends on how you define failure..If the Wii U has low sales, but still nets Nintendo a decent profit (like GameCube) then surely its a success. Vita could be making a nice little profit for Sony, the only time i would say a console or handheld is a failure, is if the company that released it incur huge losses at the end of its cycle.

Thread A (about the PS4) was locked because we have a standing policy against "retaliation" threads, that we have deemed to be made in bad-faith imitation of other threads.

Thread B came off as questioning the mod team, unallowed outside of one monthly thread and one permanent thread.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Well of course they got locked, this forum is a bastion for Nintendo fans. ANy word against Nintendo, true or false, is apparently a bannable offense. That kind of explains why the WiiU is in this situation though which is hilariously ironic.