By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Zelda U RUMOR: Tech Demo graphics, Open World, TP direct sequel, E3 2014 reveal, more...

Tagged games:

the_dengle said:
Galvanizer said:
the_dengle said:
Galvanizer said:

> There are 10 dungeons. You can play the first five in any order, and when all are complete, you can play the later five in any order. The game now features a term Aonuma calls "Parallel Dungeons". You will have to multi-task between all 5 dungeons to complete them. Solving puzzles in one dungeon will open doors and change the layout of another. Aonuma states that playing through all 5 dungeons simultaneously will feel like one giant Water Temple (from Ocarina of Time).

I can't believe people are still talking about this, given this GLARING contradiction in this abomination of game design.

That's actually the part of the rumor that Iove most. It sounds like Zelda U is taking a Metroid approach to exploring and completing dungeons.

No, it sounds like Zelda U is entirely unrelated to this fabrication found on 2ch.

Seriously, explain this to me. You can play the first five dungeons in any order you choose -- but you can only progress in them by playing them all concurrently.

This is an outrageous contradiction!

Aside from not making any logical sense, it's awful game design. The sort of thing that sounds really great until you actually wonder how it would work. Imagine that you're playing Ocarina of Time, and you're in the Forest Dungeon. You get a couple of rooms in... and hit a wall. You are unable to progress. You don't know why, or what you have to do, because there's no handholding any more because nobody likes Navi. You actually need an item from the Water Temple to continue -- maybe eventually you figure this out. So you head to the Water Temple to get said item. But you can't get deep enough into the Water Temple to get that item, because there's a locked door that can only be opened by a switch in the Shadow Temple. I don't know how you figured that out, because there's no handholding or hints in this game, but you did. You went to the Shadow Temple, hit the switch, went back to the Water Temple, got the item, went back to the Forest Temple, progressed through a room... and hit another wall. Now you need something from the Fire Temple, but you can't get to that thing without first going to the Spirit Temple... and so on.

Maybe you're still thinking that sounds great. Well, you're wrong. It's a horrible, horrible idea.

Nobody seems to have any appreciation for the cleverness of the dungeon designs in Zelda games. You know when you're in the third dungeon in Skyward Sword, and you're using the item you got in the first dungeon in new ways that make for some really interesting puzzles, as well as adding to its combat applications against new enemies? That would all be scrapped if the dev team had to make it possible for you to play through the dungeons in any order. To say nothing of how the plot would be affected!

One last issue with the first quote -- Aonuma hated the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. He went out of his way to "fix" it in the 3DS remake because he was so dissatisfied with how complicated it felt. There is no way he would use that dungeon as his inspiration for the entire overarching design of a new Zelda game.

This entire "rumor" reads like a fanfiction by someone who has played maybe two Zelda games in their entire life -- Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess -- and who doesn't understand why you can't just slap a green tunic on Dark Souls and call it the best Zelda game ever.

Wow! You bring up many good points. I have to agree with your analysis on this one.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
Galvanizer said:
>
Motion controls have been dropped. The game will use the Wii U Game Pad and build off the controls of the GameCube version of Twilight Princess. There will be heavy use of the Game Pad screen in a variety of unique ways.

This is the one that convinces me that it's fake. While I could see them providing a non-motion version of the controls, there's little doubt that motion controls will be included, at least as an option.

I disagree. I believe that the pad will be used in such a way that the game has to be played with a pad. Something like having to pan away from the TV with the pad needing both to solve puzzles. That can't be done with a wii mote.

I think this art style would be perfect for Zelda U.  It's my own little wet dream.

osed125 said:
Galvanizer said:
I hope they greatly improve the difficulty of enemies and bosses.

Well Zelda have never been a hard game since the NES days. I don't expect them to change that unless they add a difficulty mode, and even the Skyward Sword "hard mode" (Hero mode I believe it was called) was very easy.

someone never played a link to the past. but it's true that starting with oot the series combat difficulty was lowered. but difficulty in general, it was always high, taking lot's of thinking to end the game.

Zero999 said:
osed125 said:

Well Zelda have never been a hard game since the NES days. I don't expect them to change that unless they add a difficulty mode, and even the Skyward Sword "hard mode" (Hero mode I believe it was called) was very easy.

someone never played a link to the past. but it's true that starting with oot the series combat difficulty was lowered. but difficulty in general, it was always high, taking lot's of thinking to end the game.

A Link to the Past is easy. Sure, it's harder than 3D Zelda games but not by a lot. Unless you count "Where the f*ck do I go next" as difficulty.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

I don't believe one single bit of it. It's the perfect combination of wishful thinking and taking little tidbits the Nintendo guys have mentioned and blowing them up enormously.

It's depressing that there are guys out there just writing up huge fake reports and trying their hardest to make them look real. What sort of satisfaction to they get from tricking everybody? Really sad.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

DerpSandwich said:
I don't believe one single bit of it. It's the perfect combination of wishful thinking and taking little tidbits the Nintendo guys have mentioned and blowing them up enormously.

It's depressing that there are guys out there just writing up huge fake reports and trying their hardest to make them look real. What sort of satisfaction to they get from tricking everybody? Really sad.

While I do wish this Zelda U rumor to be true, I have to agree with your sentiments about this likely being fake. After all, 2ch deleted the thread within an hour of it being posted.

the_dengle said:

No, it sounds like Zelda U is entirely unrelated to this fabrication found on 2ch.

Seriously, explain this to me. You can play the first five dungeons in any order you choose -- but you can only progress in them by playing them all concurrently.

Aside from not making any logical sense, it's awful game design. The sort of thing that sounds really great until you actually wonder how it would work. Imagine that you're playing Ocarina of Time, and you're in the Forest Dungeon. You get a couple of rooms in... and hit a wall. You are unable to progress. You don't know why, or what you have to do, because there's no handholding any more because nobody likes Navi. You actually need an item from the Water Temple to continue -- maybe eventually you figure this out. So you head to the Water Temple to get said item. But you can't get deep enough into the Water Temple to get that item, because there's a locked door that can only be opened by a switch in the Shadow Temple. I don't know how you figured that out, because there's no handholding or hints in this game, but you did. You went to the Shadow Temple, hit the switch, went back to the Water Temple, got the item, went back to the Forest Temple, progressed through a room... and hit another wall. Now you need something from the Fire Temple, but you can't get to that thing without first going to the Spirit Temple... and so on.

Maybe you're still thinking that sounds great. Well, you're wrong. It's a horrible, horrible idea.

Nobody seems to have any appreciation for the cleverness of the dungeon designs in Zelda games. You know when you're in the third dungeon in Skyward Sword, and you're using the item you got in the first dungeon in new ways that make for some really interesting puzzles, as well as adding to its combat applications against new enemies? That would all be scrapped if the dev team had to make it possible for you to play through the dungeons in any order. To say nothing of how the plot would be affected!

One last issue with the first quote -- Aonuma hated the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time. He went out of his way to "fix" it in the 3DS remake because he was so dissatisfied with how complicated it felt. There is no way he would use that dungeon as his inspiration for the entire overarching design of a new Zelda game.

This entire "rumor" reads like a fanfiction by someone who has played maybe two Zelda games in their entire life -- Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess -- and who doesn't understand why you can't just slap a green tunic on Dark Souls and call it the best Zelda game ever.

First of all, I agree this rumour isn't going to be true.

Second of all, if Metroid Prime can have a hand holding hint system and be praised for being non-linear why can't a Zelda with five concurrent dungeons do this, too? It doesn't have to be complicated like the water temple to work, too, (which from my experience wasn't as bad as Twilight Princess. So many floors for a third dungeon).

the_dengle said:
Galvanizer said:
the_dengle said:
Galvanizer said:

> There are 10 dungeons. You can play the first five in any order, and when all are complete, you can play the later five in any order. The game now features a term Aonuma calls "Parallel Dungeons". You will have to multi-task between all 5 dungeons to complete them. Solving puzzles in one dungeon will open doors and change the layout of another. Aonuma states that playing through all 5 dungeons simultaneously will feel like one giant Water Temple (from Ocarina of Time).

I can't believe people are still talking about this, given this GLARING contradiction in this abomination of game design.

That's actually the part of the rumor that Iove most. It sounds like Zelda U is taking a Metroid approach to exploring and completing dungeons.

I dont think thats what it meant by playing all 5 dungeons concurrently, I think it meant more like a Metroid style. So lets say all 5 dungeons have 3 major sections, the first major section of each dungeon can be completed in any order but certain weapons or events have to occur in order to get to the second major section of a peticular dungeon. Take Metroid Prime for example where u had to visit the same major areas 2-3 times before u had completely explored the area.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Since Nintendo always seemed to live in their little bubble, clueless of the fact that what they want is not always what ppl want nowadays, I doubt it's true. I doubt Ninty have the ambition for creating a world as big as Skyrim. Heck, I even doubt they will use the artstyle of the demo exactly because it's what ppl want and they wanna prove that they know better (remember the GC demo vs Windwake?)

But nothing in this rumor seem to me as impossible, it's just that everything together is to good to be true. If it is true tho, great! I was always against voice acting, but them speaking Hylian would be the perfect compromise, it would probably sound like Midna's gibberish and I loved that in TP.

Also, if it is a direct sequel to TP, I wish for a return of Twinrova since Koume and Kotake never died in the child timeline and since they seem immortal (atleast we know for a fact that they are houndreds of years old) they should still be alive. I would love to see how Twinrova would look like in a HD TP artstyle :)

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)