By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 less than 2 years away?

johnsobas said:

no i was saying that releasing a PS4 that early would annoy developers and gamers. While releasing a PS3 with a bunch of new gadgets will just piss of gamers. I agree with you on that.

Yeah, sorry, just re-read your post. Must've missed it first time around

Has anyone else come across similar reports?

Around the Network

I don't see how an improved version of a system really will hurt it, regardless of gadgets. 360 owners wanted a bigger HD and HDMI so we got the elite. Nintendo gave fans the DSL, GBASP, and so on. Sony fans got the PS1 Portable, and the Slim PS2. Each of those systems has met pretty good, solid sales and good reviews. Honestly, I never knew an old brick-like PS2 existed until a year ago. All I ever knew were the sleek, sexy slimlines.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Maybe it's the new slimline PS3 with PS3mote which of course they have been thinking of for years and is nothing like the wiimote.

Why would Sony do this? So they could lose millions (if not billions) more in R&D for a new machine, all the while pissing off their entire customer base? Meh, this is a rumor about a PS3 update and nothing more.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Digg: http://www.digg.com/gaming_news/PS4_less_than_2_years_away

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Why would Sony do this? So they could lose millions (if not billions) more in R&D for a new machine, all the while pissing off their entire customer base? Meh, this is a rumor about a PS3 update and nothing more.

I agree, it makes absolutely no sense for them to do such a thing, more than likely as others have already said if there's any truth to this it's far more likely that it's Sony's version of an "elite".

hm....I smell a $800 system???? MS and Sony really need to rethink their strategy, instead drop price, they are releasing enhance version for more money... its the same happening with GPU manufacturer, I thought the cap of a single card is around 650, now the new 8800 ultra set a new cap of 829+. I know there are cards cost way more than that but those are for other use, not playing game...

I'm not digging this one...it sucks.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

It may also be another PSX, this time marketed towards technophiles instead of gamers.

They tried this before with the PS2 version of the PSX, which sold miserably, but I think it was more due to the fact that the market was not prepared for something along those lines just yet back then.

Today, with broadband, wireless and HDTV penetration continuing its relentless growth, plus Sony's hedge on Blu-Ray, it might make sense to attempt this approach again. Even back then my wife would've had a fit seeing network cables dangling around the house (now we have wireless); back then streaming was out of the question, as broadband was just being introduced (everyone still on dial-up), and your TV wasn't up to the task of displaying HD. Finally, the entire concept of a networked, streaming multimedia home was simply too far out of left field to become a market reality. The concept was in its infancy.

Fast forward to today: The PSn (insert your number) is a gaming machine with multimedia capabilities, but the PSX is a multimedia hub with gaming capabilities. I can see people buying that, and I can see my wife accepting a machine that serves as a multimedia hub more than if it were the other way around; it's also far easier to justify spending 600 bucks on something that everyone can enjoy as opposed to something only gamers can enjoy.

Timing is important: You can have the greatest product in the world, and you can have it sold at an affordable price, but if you are too early to market, the product won't fly with consumers, and you have a stinker. Perhaps now is the right time to reintroduce the PSX idea?

Plus, wasn't the PSX Sony's attempt to gain a foothold into everyman's living room? I don't see them giving this up anytime soon, as if Japanese corporate culture has taught me anything, their idea of a short-term strategy is not a quarter, but more like 25 years.

Edit: A PSX based on the PS3 does not need to be a complete redesign; most of the product could simply be repackaged in a more AV-friendly housing similar to a receiver. They may already have the PSX product design readied during the PS3's development.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the whole "Elite" strategy is about maintaining the price of the system as manufacturing costs are reduced in order to recover initial losses. Honestly, there is nothing in the XBox 360 Elite which justifies its $80 price increase over the priemium model (and $180 for a hard-drive which can be purchased at retail for less than $100 is insane).