By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4 less than 2 years away?

Ran into this article today, and thought some of you might find it interesting.  Hope this is the right place to post this.

Sony PS4 Not Far Away

A new Playstation 4 could be less than 18 months away according to a Sony insider. The device will include the same chipset as the current PS3 but where it will differ from the current model is in the drive bay and in the attachment area. It will also include an extensive software suite for the managing of content being streamed to a TV or Hi Fi source.

Full article: http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Media_Centres/Industry/R8W6V6L6

Seems they’re working harder to make a device that would serve as a complete home entertainment centre. 

I remember a thread by John Lucas (love your posts Mr Lucas ) discussing the possibilities if Sony had released a PSX rather than the PS3.  Well perhaps such a system is still on the cards.  However, I’m not sure what to make of this so soon after release of the PS3, and wondering if anyone else has come across similar news.

If Sony is really pushing to be the home entertainment hub, it would correlate with some of the views I’ve read on these forums regarding Microsoft’s entry into the console business.  MS would certainly like to be the media centre in every living room, and Sony’s plans would no doubt be a threat to that vision. 

Around the Network

Interesting. I don't think it's any surprise that PS4 is in the works, but from the sounds of this, it really is like "PS3-slim-Elite!" That said, sounds like another firecracker waiting to blow up in Sony's hand if they do release this.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

I doubt it. I think they're kicking back enjoying the cash from PS2 still, and will drop PS3 price next Febuary. No PS4 for 4 years.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.

Too stupid to be true. If they did do this they would lose all support from developers, and from all the gamers that owned a PS3 for paying 600$ for something they give up on in 3 years. Even if this was just a new PS3 that had a bunch of gadgets that the orignal PS3 didn't it's gonna piss off a lot of PS3 users. Gaming companies need to realize that people don't want a bunch of versions of each console, it is much better to stick with 1 model, and 1 price.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

homelesscarl said:
I doubt it. I think they're kicking back enjoying the cash from PS2 still, and will drop PS3 price next Febuary. No PS4 for 4 years.

As I understand, they have no "kicking back" because the PS3 has been eating into the Gaming division profits. And, they absolutely must drop the price this year, probably late fall. They can deliver a solid punch to Microsoft this holiday season if they can squeeze their price down to say something like "The PS3 can be had for only 20 bucks more than the 'Elite' 360."

And, it's possible this isn't a PS4 they are talking about in the article. Maybe a PSX-like device, sporting the innards of the PS3, just more media centered.

Around the Network
DoesWhatNintenDont said:
I don't think it's any surprise that PS4 is in the works, but from the sounds of this, it really is like "PS3-slim-Elite!"

Agreed, it does sound more like a PS3-Elite rather than a PS4. Similar to the 360-Elite.

@johnsobas - it may annoy some gamers, but I doubt it would annoy developers. From the sound of it, it would function just the same as a PS3 for gaming, but will have added media features for home entertainment.

Having said that, the idea does sound too outrages to be true. 

Seconding and thirding everyone. It looks only like a PS3 Slim+ not a PS4. Financially, theres no way Sony could make an actual succuessor to the PS4 soon. The PS3 would of served litterally no purpose other than securing the Blu-Ray market slightly.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

this is def. not a PS4. PS3 Slim+ sounds about right.

Ray007 said:
DoesWhatNintenDont said:
I don't think it's any surprise that PS4 is in the works, but from the sounds of this, it really is like "PS3-slim-Elite!"

Agreed, it does sound more like a PS3-Elite rather than a PS4. Similar to the 360-Elite.

@johnsobas - it may annoy some gamers, but I doubt it would annoy developers. From the sound of it, it would function just the same as a PS3 for gaming, but will have added media features for home entertainment.

Having said that, the idea does sound too outrages to be true. 

no i was saying that releasing a PS4 that early would annoy developers and gamers.  While releasing a PS3 with a bunch of new gadgets will just piss of gamers.  I agree with you on that.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

nope, no way. THAT would be to kill the brand.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!