By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SSBB huge 1st week, Z&W sold out in Eur, NMH sold out in US - good or bad?

So with 08 just 1 month in and Wii hitting the ground up and running by rolling out some highly anticipated hardcore titles to different regions, we have reports of SSBB pulling in huge numbers in Japan whilst No More Heroes seems to have sold most of it's first shipment and seems rather illusive in most US retailers as I can gather.   Here on the other hand we've finally received Zak and Wiki and I know a few people wanting it who are struggling a little to find it - even Amazon and other online retailers never seem to have stock at the moment.

I see early signs that in 08 - third party devs are gonna find their feet and they'll be a few decent titles having legs - it just seems retailers are currently ordering minimal amounts of stock in terms of Wii third party software.  Do you think Nintendo should do more to market the third party games or not?

In terms of NMH & Z&W we see here that the retailers and perhaps publishers seem to have underestimated these titles, do you see retailers eventually being forced to order more titles in the future for other releases and learn from their mistakes or do you think they will continue to typecast the Wii and burden it's sales in the future?

Around the Network

you claim the poor sales (relatively to the quality of the game) ofno more heroes and Z&W was due to supply restrain/sold out

proof?

because frankly, I'm sick of the "Oh, it was because they didn't have any to sell"

No More Heroes sold 600 copies in Japan 2 weeks ago, I don't think it was because of any restrain at all

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

He's saying nothing like that--he's saying it looks like they're doing better than expected (a little).

OT: How could this possibly be a bad thing?

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

you claim the poor sales (relatively to the quality of the game) ofno more heroes and Z&W was due to supply restrain/sold out

proof?

Uh, the fact that they're sold out and noone can find a copy?

because frankly, I'm sick of the "Oh, it was because they didn't have any to sell"

No More Heroes sold 600 copies in Japan 2 weeks ago, I don't think it was because of any restrain at all

And yet NMH outsold every other Suda 51 game in Japan.

And you're shitting bricks because...?

I'm tired of fanboys screaming and shitting over games they don't care about, the people getting the most hostile about Zack & Wiki and No More Heroes don't even fucking own a Wii. Shut your goddamn mouth, all your scheming and spinning in the world isn't going to change anything. The fact of the matter is that Zack & Wiki is a budget title with impressive sales in Europe that is easily going to blow it past a quarter of a million, quite a feat for a game with no adverstiing that retailers wouldn't even stock. People keep clinging desperately to NMH Japanese sales like a bad relationship just completely ignoring that this is probably the most successful Suda 51 game to date which sold through 40k of the first shipment of 50k in NA with a massive marketing campaign ramping up for the EU release. You fanboys need to get over yourself, stop bringing games down for your goddamn petty agendas. STFU.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

kingofwale said:

proof?

I'm not sure, but I think you are maybe misunderstanding him.

Also, what does No More Heroes sales in Japan have to do with sales in America? Some games sell in some regions, and are hardly a blip on the radar in others. Sonic games sell hundreds of thousands, if not millions, in North America and Europe, yet is often lucky to break 100k in Japan. GTA sells millions here, but sells a few hundred thou in Japan. Dragon Quest sells millions in Japan, yet struggles elsewhere. I don't think No More Heroes will be much of a hit, but dismissing his theory(again, which I think you misunderstood) because hardly anyone bought the game in Japan doesn't really hold water. 

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network

>Uh, the fact that they're sold out and noone can find a copy?

and you got it from where? Sometimes people will just have to face it, Sometimes good games DON'T SELL, Happened to Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, Happened to R&C on PS3 and now it's Nintendo's turn.

Face the bloody reality for once. Yes, I quote the Japanese number just so you can wake up to the real world.

nobody is disputing they are both great games, in fact, my cousin owns both and I've seen him play for coutless hours, helping him through puzzles in Z&W (sometimes we wanted to throw the controller at the tv because the puzzles are just too good and challenging). So if you want to use the "Oh, you probably don't own a Wii" excuse, you can just drop it.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

Actually, he IS saying that it is being supply constrained by some RETAILERS who don't order enough. (And maybe publishers.) I can confirm anecdotally that many retailers didn't carry Zack & Wiki AT ALL, let alone in sufficient quantity. I found a copy in the third or fourth store I checked.

My Target didn't have it, and Target isn't exactly a no-name hole in the wall. It's bigger than Wal-Mart here in Minnesota -- then again, its headquarters is here so whatever. 5th biggest retailer in the U.S., so there

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

kingofwhale states "you claim the poor sales (relatively to the quality of the game) ofno more heroes and Z&W was due to supply restrain/sold out"

Thanks for telling me what I'm claiming, however I never even thought that once let alone claimed it - what i'm saying is it could sell better, first week in US it sells 40K this week it's not even in the WW charts as it's still sold out in most places according to people on here. I'm just hoping that interest remains until the game is restocked.

TheKitchensink - OT: How could this possibly be a bad thing?
So No More Heroes got 40K first week in US, we can only specualte what this figure could have been if publisher / retailer commited a little more, retailers were obviously sceptical as kingofwhale intelligently pointed out due to Japan sales and fair enough but why didn't Ubisoft (publishers) have a contingency plan? why's it taken so long to get restocked? If they're still poncing around getting little amounts of stock in / selling out getting more in, selling out when SSBB gets released - will people still be interested? A lot of If's and thats my problem - it seems the Wii third party games is getting typecast by more people than the consumer (been watching Zak and Wiki on Amazon.co.uk - it drops out of top 40 bestsellers, gets stock in goes into top 20 again then drops out until next stock yet only registers 22K for all of europe) and it's a shame.

This is what i'm wondering - next time a Wii title (and their will be a next time) a game doesn't do a lot in Japan but has great potential will retailers be over cautious or will they remember these lessons learned?

>My Target didn't have it, and Target isn't exactly a no-name hole in the wall.

working at best buy, we have 23 copies of Z&W, there are only 2 games on Wii I recommend to customers, Galaxy and Z&W. we sold exactly 1 copy of Z&W the entire last week.

stories like this is hardly scientific, so I never bring it up to show a 'trend'.

selnor
Episode 2:
kingofwale said:
>Uh, the fact that they're sold out and noone can find a copy?

and you got it from where?

I probably got it from it NOT BEING IN STOCK.

Sometimes people will just have to face it, Sometimes good games DON'T SELL, Happened to Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, Happened to R&C on PS3 and now it's Nintendo's turn.

Face the bloody reality for once. Yes, I quote the Japanese number just so you can wake up to the real world.

The only thing I woke up to was your make-believe world of fanboy wishing, quoting the Japanese numbers is no more reality than your stupid agenda, if anything it worked against you by proving that NMH outsold other Suda51 games on the PS2 (why is this a bad thing?) Keep trying - you're backpedalling and this is fun.

nobody is disputing they are both great games, in fact, my cousin owns both and I've seen him play for coutless hours, helping him through puzzles in Z&W (sometimes we wanted to throw the controller at the tv because the puzzles are just too good and challenging). So if you want to use the "Oh, you probably don't own a Wii" excuse, you can just drop it.

You can't even make a coherent argument with yourself. Quality of the game isn't relevant to whether you own a Wii or not, and I never mentioned the quality of the game. I'm just tired of people making half-assed arguments that don't make sense by cherry picking numbers for some asinine agenda against a platform, one that doesn't even make sense. Zack & Wiki and NMH having good sales overseas is part of the subject of the thread so the first thing you do is scream about Japan numbers and start cherry picking? Nice try, trollofwale.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"