By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U a failure in concept or execution?

So?

Concept 75 11.92%

Execution 199 31.64%

Both 187 29.73%

Neither 167 26.55%

Total:628
Zero999 said:
Soundwave said:
Zero999 said:

It's as much of a failure as the 3ds.

I'm not even sure if the Wii U will hit life time sales of what the 3DS has right now (shipment wise).

The 3DS never hit these depths, and quite honestly for all the belly aching about games, the Wii U has better software support than the 3DS did early on.

New Super Mario Bros. U + Luigi U, Nintendo Land, Monster Hunter Tri G, Zombi U, LEGO City, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Game & Wario, Need For Speed > Nintendogs + cats, Steel Diver, Pilotwings Resort, Super Street Fighter IV, Ridge Racer 3D, Zelda: OoT 3D.

With Pikmin 3 already launched in Japan and launching in Europe, the "it haz no games" thing is becoming more and more moot. Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, and NSMBU + Luigi U are three pretty big efforts from EAD.

You already made it clear long ago that your posts are nothing but pessimism and hate towards nintendo. I won't even bother countering those excuses for arguments.

I certainly don't hate Nintendo I'm probably one of their biggest supporters with my wallet on this board. I have 3 different 3DS units (launch black, Fire Emblem bundle, blue XL), a Wii U with Nintendo Land, NSMBU, FIFA, Black Ops 2, Earthbound, and too many 3DS games to list. I've owned every Nintendo console ever made, with the exception of the Virtual Boy, which I might track down at some point.

I am pessimistic about the Wii U's prospects from a cold, hard market POV (as someone who's followed Nintendo for over 20 years) but that doesn't make my points invalid as much as you'd want them to be.

Around the Network

Big Nintendo supporter for most of my life but I say this is ALL execution.

Nintendo failed in so many ways with the Wii U, it pretty much feels like it confirms my fears that Nintendo's upper management IS out of touch with the industry in more ways then just content for Western gamers. The concept behind the system is quite nice and could have worked easy, Nintendo however just half assed everything in regards to the system.

-Gamepad: The Gamepad is fine, the problem lies in that Nintendo did commit to it in a real sense. Before launch, red flags were thrown up when they seemed caught off guard and gave a half "maybe" answer to the potential usage of two Gamepads on one system. The info about them not selling the Gamepad separately added fuel to the fire. If Nintendo was serious about the Gamepad as a controller, playing with multiple Gamepads should have been the base line for the console, along with easy usage of being able to use the Gamepad to potentially grab video or picture of the games for the Miiverse and most would pay $75 or $100 a Gamepad sold separately if one could personalize profiles to have access to personal info stored via the Gamepad even when using a friend's Wii U. These type of features if available at launch would have made the system a much more appealing purchase for gamers.

- Marketing: One merely has to see how it was marketed in the US and I imagine around the world to see how they screwed up. It isn't just because they came in aiming for the family audience but it is that they aimed only at the family audience that the system and its launch line up suffered. Nintendo played into the hands of their detractors and are now suffering for it. A few more commercials displaying the 3rd party games early on, along with show casing features like Nintendo TVii, the social media aspects and how the Wii U is not JUST a new accessory for the Wii would have gone a long way.

- Software, absolute failure to be prepared. You can tell that Nintendo's stance on 18+ month development cycles for most of their titles was in full effect with the Wii U and by the time they realized it wouldn't work it was too late and only their most simplest software was ready. Maybe they were banking on 3rd parties helping but they should have seen this drought coming and had some sort of Plan B besides months of nothing new, then MH3U and Wario followed by months of nothing waiting on Pikmin. A legit major title that took advantage of the consoles features was needed at launch, Nintendo should have deduced by the trends of newer software that NintendoLand and NSMB U wasn't going to cut it.

I could go on about the Hardware specs but at this point, I think it is obvious that whoever was heading up this launch botched it worst then even the 3DS with seemingly financial based short cuts and poor decision based on past success they failed to replicate within the last few years of the Wii's life but thought would achieve different results with a new console. This maybe even worst then the N64 post launch drought since that system at least had a massive unique system seller available at launch.

Execution.

The concept is great. Its just not beeing taken advantage of properly.

Concept, since the name itself made people think that its an extension of the Wii

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Aquietguy said:
Arius Dion said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Concept, IMO.

Whenever a new console comes out, it is because it is addressing a specific problem or set of problems that need to be solved. The Wii-mote was the solution to a long-standing problem, accomplished in an original way. While the Gamepad has its uses, as the basis for a console, it is a solution looking for a problem. And one reason developers aren't working on it is because it doesn't solve the problems that they are having.

The execution, however, certainly didn't help.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. 

Though I also think the execution suffered as a result of the concept. I don't think they can be seperated. With the Wii, simplicity and ease of use was key. Its like Nintendo, said, 'fuck that' and decided to hodge podge all previous ideas into a blender and voila la we have Wii U. I don't think off TV play is a big enough selling point. Its a convenience for some, but a non issue for most. 

Imagine Nintendo abandoning the NES controller concept for the SNES and instead opting to go back to Atari type controllers. That's what they've done essentially. 

A step back??? By your reasonin, the competition is also using an Atari type controller with less buttons.  The pad maybe different from the wii mote but is a step ahead of the traditional controller. 

No, the competition is using the NES prototype as well. Imagine if the competition went with Joysticks this gen. Also keep this in mind, the competition copied the NES/Wii controllers, they haven't copied the Gamepad. 

I'm not sure it is a step ahead of the traditional controller. Its bulky and already outdated

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Execution.

The console is screaming for local multiplayer experiences, whether they're asymmetrical or not, and such experiences are scarcely to be found. Even upcoming Pikmin 3 has limited local multiplayer when it should have been a core feature.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Wii Sports/Fit is what drove the first Wii to broad mass-market success.

I think people gloss over this, but it's silly, it's like glossing over Michael Jordan on the Chicago Bulls teams that won all those championships.

Nintendo Land shows off what the Wii U controller can do just fine. It's just what it can do isn't appealing enough to the mass market consumer.

Wii U doesn't need "games" per se ... it needs "THE GAME", which Wii Sports was. But I don't think Nintendo can replicate that because you can't just make Wii Sports 3 and expect casuals to come back. It has to be something new.

Quite the causality problem. Is their concept so bad they've failed to utilize their controller in great lengths in many of their games or is their execution so poor that they've failed to utilize their controller? I'm going to go with concept, Translating iOS/Android touch based games/concepts to consoles is far more difficult than I think even Nintendo anticipated. The stylist translated well enough though =/.

Not sure how I would categorize it.

Concept in the planning for the hardware design, but execution in the implementation of it. I don't think the Wii U Tablet controller is a problem. In that regard, I think Nintendo had a great concept and great execution. The problem, as I see it, is the console itself. Nintendo has been able to get away with less powerful hardware for sometime, but the weaker hardware and the fact that they're so far behind both Microsoft and Sony with their online service may end up putting them too far behind.

In terms of games, clearly execution.

darkknightkryta said:
Quite the causality problem. Is their concept so bad they've failed to utilize their controller in great lengths in many of their games or is their execution so poor that they've failed to utilize their controller? I'm going to go with concept, Translating iOS/Android touch based games/concepts to consoles is far more difficult than I think even Nintendo anticipated. The stylist translated well enough though =/.

Don't get why people see touch pad and automatically think Nintendo was aiming toward replicating iOS/Android gaming? Nintendo doesn't and hasn't even tried doing that with the Wii U GamePad. They have tried it with more then a few of their eShop titles on the 3DS but the Wii U, Nintendo's main focus in regards to the GamePad (I would argue to their detriment) has been accessing the Miiverse and playing the games on it.

They have WAY too many games that play without it for anyone to say that touch based games/concepts were Nintendo's primary goal with the device.