By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii U a failure in concept or execution?

So?

Concept 75 11.92%

Execution 199 31.64%

Both 187 29.73%

Neither 167 26.55%

Total:628

I need to change my vote to both. But mostly execution.

I don't think it is a great concept; I think it has very limited appeal to people 35ish and younger. (Which granted is most of gaming.) Older eyes just can't switch back an forth, and I think that was a big part of their Wii Fit and Casual market.

But the small screen, poor implementation, single screens (so far), refusal to upscale Wii games, and no or few 'must have' games. It just seems like a Wii+ and should have been released in 2010 at the latest.

Plus I absolutely hate the name. I despise the trend of inventing fake word that aren't needed in any way. Especially ones that sound like other ones. Before I got one I never called a wii a 'Wee.' I called it a 'double you, eye, eye.' I still do that much of the time. They just made it worse by slapping a capital U at the end.

They call it a WiiU, cause you take one look at it and U turn around.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

kinda both. A) nintendo did drop the ball with lack of true gamepad support. B)The concept is great, but now matter what nintendo did, 3rd party's weren't going to jump aboard. It kinda reminds me of the balance board. My first thought was "man they can do so much with that" but instead it got 2 full fledged games. wii fit and monkey ball something or other. the gamepad has a HUGE amount of potential, but really it was doomed to be viewed as just another wii perephrial from the get-go. No matter how big and innovative, nintendo can't do it alone.

Arius Dion said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Concept, IMO.

Whenever a new console comes out, it is because it is addressing a specific problem or set of problems that need to be solved. The Wii-mote was the solution to a long-standing problem, accomplished in an original way. While the Gamepad has its uses, as the basis for a console, it is a solution looking for a problem. And one reason developers aren't working on it is because it doesn't solve the problems that they are having.

The execution, however, certainly didn't help.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. 

Though I also think the execution suffered as a result of the concept. I don't think they can be seperated. With the Wii, simplicity and ease of use was key. Its like Nintendo, said, 'fuck that' and decided to hodge podge all previous ideas into a blender and voila la we have Wii U. I don't think off TV play is a big enough selling point. Its a convenience for some, but a non issue for most. 

Imagine Nintendo abandoning the NES controller concept for the SNES and instead opting to go back to Atari type controllers. That's what they've done essentially. 

Hit the nail right on the head, you did. I simply don't understand what thought process led the idea to come about.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Execution first and foremost.

Delays resulting in further delays and losses of exclusive third party content lead to much lower sales than previously expected. Games are the main reason why people buy video game consoles, and they simply weren't/aren't there.

The concept is solid, but requires first hand experience to be fully appreciated. This issue is finally being addressed through Best Buy deals and the likes where people get to play the games and explore the concept without actually owning the system.

it was never an issue because most major retailers have Wii U stations and have had them since launch.

OT a bit of both. THe tablet thing just isnt as popular as the Wiimote, the lack of unique software isnt helping.

Both...first it did away with the main reason why the Wii was a success...the easily accessible motion controls and the marketing was shit. I still know people who can't tell the difference between the Wii and Wii U. A lot think that the latter is a Wii add on rather than a new console

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network

Probably both. But especially concept. I don't know why no one seems to think concept is at fault (according to the poll). I think it's a really hard sale no matter how you advertise it.

The gamepad is not appealing or needed and even Nintendo struggle to come up with any neat ideas with it. On top of that it makes the console much more expensive. Plus, Nintendo's strategy to try and regain the ¨core¨ was a failure and it was obvious 3rd parties were not gonna give a shit.

So concept, mostly. A good concept doesn't need much to sell itself anyway.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

oniyide said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Delays resulting in further delays and losses of exclusive third party content lead to much lower sales than previously expected. Games are the main reason why people buy video game consoles, and they simply weren't/aren't there.

The concept is solid, but requires first hand experience to be fully appreciated. This issue is finally being addressed through Best Buy deals and the likes where people get to play the games and explore the concept without actually owning the system.

it was never an issue because most major retailers have Wii U stations and have had them since launch.

I guess the severity of this issue is regional. The only Wii U station that I have seen so far was at GameStop (not even our greatest local supermarket has Wii U stations, and they used to have a Gamecube and Xbox stations back in the day), and all that was available was New Super Mario Bros. U. In other words, they did a useless job showcasing the GamePad/assymetrical gameplay concept.

Still, the bottom line is that the concept issue, while certainly there, is minor compared to the execution. Games are required to truly explore and showcase the concept, after all.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
oniyide said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

st

I guess the severity of this issue is regional. The only Wii U station that I have seen so far was at GameStop (not even our greatest local supermarket has Wii U stations, and they used to have a Gamecube and Xbox stations back in the day), and all that was available was New Super Mario Bros. U. In other words, they did a useless job showcasing the GamePad/assymetrical gameplay concept.

Still, the bottom line is that the concept issue, while certainly there, is minor compared to the execution. Games are required to truly explore and showcase the concept, after all.

Regional? what region, every Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Best Buy that has game stations has a WIi U. Those are large chains ive seen them in rural PA and NYC. but you are dead on about Mario that is a TERRIBLE game to showcase the pad, they really need Nintyland their , guess they figured hey they love to play 2d Mario, guess they figured wrong.

Execution.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

neither..

wii u is..

*looks at feet* forget it