By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last Of Us Equals COD Record In The UK

how come its a sweet spot if no other title in the past have managed to do COD number in Summer.. how come suddenly last of us is the one and summer now viable release window and if that is true shouldn't past title released in summer should have done the same numbers, then last of us would have been equaling their record not COD's..

Around the Network
taus90 said:
how come its a sweet spot if no other title in the past have managed to do COD number in Summer.. how come suddenly last of us is the one and summer now viable release window and if that is true shouldn't past title released in summer should have done the same numbers, then last of us would have been equaling their record not COD's..

You didn't hear?  It's because the last of us received marketing. That's right, someone saw a tv ad for it and that some how negates everything because it's the summer and it was advertised..

taus90 said:

Give me the name of one other top tier game that came out during the summer in the last 5 years. Far as I know, there aren't any.

kowenicki said:
GribbleGrunger said:
foodfather said:
No ideas why games don't release in the summer. It works for movies, it should work for games too. With no competition, this is quite an easy feat.

LOL. I see, so it won by default and not because it's a fantastic game.

Let's ignore this shall we?

Whilst this is a fine achievement, to Ignore the release date is silly and rather defensive of you.

What he says is true.

If COD released in the Summer it would be number one for months.  There will be plenty of games that have much higher first 6 week sales than this but didnt get anywhere near the record.  I'd say the actual number of sales is what counts, TLOU scores very well in that regard but it sure isnt record breaking.

No, read the OP, it's record TYING.

Angelus said:
taus90 said:

Give me the name of one other top tier game that came out during the summer in the last 5 years. Far as I know, there aren't any.

Well unless your definition of "top tier game" differs from mine. A simple list off the top of my head would be..

Animal Crossing
Spec Ops the Line
Ghost Recon Future Soldier (end of may release that sells into the summer)
Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D
Crackdown 2
Dragon Quest IX
Fear 3
Max Payne 3, (mid may release that sells into the summer)
Same with Red Dead and La Noire
Infamous and Infamous 2
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid 4

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
Angelus said:
taus90 said:

Well unless your definition of "top tier game" differs from mine. A simple list off the top of my head would be..

Animal Crossing
Spec Ops the Line
Crackdown 2
Dragon Quest IX
Fear 3
Infamous and Infamous 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

First off, summer for me is june-july. Maybe the first half of august.

Second, I guess our definitions do vary because the only top tier game you listed that came out during those times is MGS4. Everything else you listed is far from top tier, or in the case of Rockstar games had a typical pre-summer release during May.

And since I'm pretty sure MGS4 probably sold more units than the Last of Us, that only validates my point. Top tier games will sell. Whenever.

foodfather said:
No ideas why games don't release in the summer. It works for movies, it should work for games too. With no competition, this is quite an easy feat.

Yeah you're absolutely right! Also, don't forget it's one of the best rated games on Metacritic with 42 PERFECT SCORES! Oh wait, that can't be it. Just because it's a good game doesn't mean it sells well! It must be because IT HAS NO FUCKING COMPETITION RIGHT NOW!

This is like your tenth time saying "with no competition it's not surprising" lmfao get some original comments...

Nsanity said:
GribbleGrunger said:
So I take it it's the only game in the charts then and the success of COD has nothing to do with media push and advertising?

When was the last time Call of Duity got released during a Summer?

When was the last time Call of duty was a critically acclaimed game?

oh wait...

Angelus said:
Blood_Tears said:
Angelus said:
taus90 said:

Animal Crossing
Spec Ops the Line
Crackdown 2
Dragon Quest IX
Fear 3
Infamous and Infamous 2
Metal Gear Solid 4

First off, summer for me is june-july. Maybe the first half of august.

Second, I guess our definitions do vary because the only top tier game you listed that came out during those times is MGS4. Everything else you listed is far from top tier, or in the case of Rockstar games had a typical pre-summer release during May.

And since I'm pretty sure MGS4 probably sold more units than the Last of Us, that only validates my point. Top tier games will sell. Whenever.

It sounds like ur definition is more for ur sake of argument. What make The last of Us a new IP!? top tier game compared to Infamous 1 and 2, Read Dead & L A Noire, Specs ops, max payne 3 not, all were high production AAA titles! so what make TLoU different from them?

From Gaf to N4G to this site, it's become ever more apparent that some people just find it difficult to admit when something does well. There's ALWAYS a reason why it 'didn't really do that well'. What does that say about the games it beat for 6 weeks running?  I wonder why they aren't number 1? After all, there's no competition.

The arguments I'm seeing on here are barking mad.  Let's pretend no other games exist in the top 20; let's pretend that lots of games sell for 6 weeks straight in the summer; let's pretend that it's not a new IP on ONE console; let's pretend we're unbiased.

The PS5 Exists.