By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ blames Unreal Engine 3 for PS3 cancellation of Frontlines: Fuel of War

I thought the PS3's version of Unreal Engine 3 was supposed to be fixed since Unreal Tournament 3 was released?  Why are third parties still having problems with it?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185602.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6185602

"However, it wasn't all sunshine from Farrell. The THQ head answered a number of questions regarding the publisher's recent cancellations. When asked why the PS3 edition of Frontlines: Fuel of War got the axe, Farrell bluntly blamed the problem on Epic's Unreal Engine, saying it "just didn't perform as well in the open world as we would have expected," and would have resulted in the PS3 edition arriving two or three months behind its Xbox 360 and PC counterparts."

Around the Network

I'm calling BS on that because UT3 uses the UE3 (lol) and runs perfectly smoothly on PS3.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Also, unrelated note, but I will never buy Frontlines, because my Creative Writing professor last semester is working on that game (Tim Carter), and he's a jackass who I do not wish to support :p

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Not the first developer to complain about this, so it likely has merit. Unreal engines have always been designed for PCs (and 360 since it's basically a gaming PC anyway). As we all know the Cell processor is a very different beast programming wise.

But UT3 shows it can work on PS3....

Poor Unreal 3 Engine, it's being everybody's punching bag, Well, at least this time, it didn't get sued over it. *coughTWOHUMAN*cough

I just wish a developer will have the balls to say, "look, we screwed it up, we will try harder next time"

JUST FOR ONCE!!!

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Poor Unreal 3 Engine, it's being everybody's punching bag, Well, at least this time, it didn't get sued over it. *coughTWOHUMAN*cough

I just wish a developer will have the balls to say, "look, we screwed it up, we will try harder next time"

JUST FOR ONCE!!!

yeah,it most definitely was there fault,UT3 runs just fine from what ive seen,and if this is the case....the game will blow,but i wasnt expecting much anyway

Another developer bitching about UE3.0? UT3 turned out just fine, and I really can't see Epic ignoring studios who license out their engine, so I'm calling BS.

what engine did Uncharted, DMC4 and R&C use? I wonder.

same goes for CoD4.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Legend11 said:
I thought the PS3's version of Unreal Engine 3 was supposed to be fixed since Unreal Tournament 3 was released? Why are third parties still having problems with it?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185602.html?part=rss&tag=gs_news&subj=6185602

"However, it wasn't all sunshine from Farrell. The THQ head answered a number of questions regarding the publisher's recent cancellations. When asked why the PS3 edition of Frontlines: Fuel of War got the axe, Farrell bluntly blamed the problem on Epic's Unreal Engine, saying it "just didn't perform as well in the open world as we would have expected," and would have resulted in the PS3 edition arriving two or three months behind its Xbox 360 and PC counterparts."

The Unreal 3 engine might be up to snuff NOW on the PS3... but it wasn't when they started development on this game and that version of UE3 has only recently begun shipping to developers. 

kingofwale said:
what engine did Uncharted, DMC4 and R&C use? I wonder.

same goes for CoD4.

Insomniac has their own proprietary engine that was first used for Resistance: Fall of Man. It was used for Ratchet and Clank and is now being used for Resistance 2. Insomniac builds one engine per generation and then uses it for all of their games, constantly improving on it.

Naughty Dog also uses their own engine, though I've read something in one of their interviews where they said it might be licensed out to other Sony developers this generation, unlike their previous proprietary engines.

Devil May Cry 4 used Capcom's Framework Engine, which is PC based and designed for multiple console development. Bionic Commando, Resident Evil 5, Lost Planet and Dead Rising all use this engine.