By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - New thread up soon!

Gears of War 3 Horde Event today at 7;00 PM ET

Around the Network

XBO News Update

News came in today for PS4 getting 4.5 GB guaranteed RAM but they have an extra GB for game applications etc to work with for 5.5GB. Im going to go ahead and say this before fans from either company comes and laughs at the opposing side.

8GB of RAM is a waste for games and is not needed. It is actually great news that Sony has invested in a good operating system.

So i want to caution members of XBO Nation to not gloat or argue in other threads about the news we have heard today. All I can say is we have two comparable consoles that look superb just like developers have been telling us for months now.

Im not going to put this in the news update since this has more to do with Sony than MSFT but you can view it here. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=165295&page=1

JayWood2010 said:

XBO News Update

News came in today for PS4 getting 4.5 GB guaranteed RAM but they have an extra GB for game applications etc to work with for 5.5GB. Im going to go ahead and say this before fans from either company comes and laughs at the opposing side.

8GB of RAM is a waste for games and is not needed. It is actually great news that Sony has invested in a good operating system.

So i want to caution members of XBO Nation to not gloat or argue in other threads about the news we have heard today. All I can say is we have two comparable consoles that look superb just like developers have been telling us for months now.

Im not going to put this in the news update since this has more to do with Sony than MSFT but you can view it here. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=165295&page=1

That's entirely debatable. That amount of RAM has never been available as a core design spec before, so we really don't know how well it can be utilized.

Will be interesting to see how things work out though. The PS3 had more RAM open up to developers as time passed, so this could also be the case for the PS4. Graphically, I expect mother the Xbone and PS4 to be around the same at launch (excluding minor details).

Zekkyou said:
JayWood2010 said:

XBO News Update

That's entirely debatable. That amount of RAM has never been available as a core design spec before, so we really don't know how well it can be utilized.

Will be interesting to see how things work out though. The PS3 had more RAM open up to developers as time passed, so this could also be the case for the PS4. Graphically, I expect mother the Xbone and PS4 to be around the same at launch (excluding minor details).

They both may free up space over time but to have a good OS they will need that memory.  People has been making too big of a deal out of RAM lately. None of this is really surprising news though since developers have been saying they arent seeing differences between the two consoles so far except for cloud enabled features that is freeing up things such as AI.

7 gigs was just an over kill so early in this generation, it would have brought nothing but crop of lazy coders.. its good that sony wants to develop a robust operating system to compete against Windows.. i mean that is one department they are lagging behind, though i doubt they will catch MS with Linux.. but overall its nothing to be worried about, and i m pretty sure both the consoles will free up ram in future...

Around the Network

I'm not gonna lie: Had a big smile on my face when I read about the PS4 ram situation. At least now we know the XB1 won't be as far behind in the RAM department.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
I'm not gonna lie: Had a big smile on my face when I read about the PS4 ram situation. At least now we know the XB1 won't be as far behind in the RAM department.

From everything we know they arent behind.  PS4 has faster ram but seems to be a little less available unless we dont know something about X1's ram.  Also the cloud has been freeing things up for developers.  Developers has been saying this stuff for a while that they arent noticing any differences. Differences will be found in first party games.  It was really just bragging rights for fans and im sure people will still argue to be honest.  By the end of this gen i have a feeling both PS4 and X1 will be invested in the cloud a lot.

JayWood2010 said:
Zekkyou said:
JayWood2010 said:

XBO News Update

They both may free up space over time but to have a good OS they will need that memory.  People has been making too big of a deal out of RAM lately. None of this is really surprising news though since developers have been saying they arent seeing differences between the two consoles so far except for cloud enabled features that is freeing up things such as AI.

Didn't we hear ubisoft prasing the PS4 over the Xbone only a few weeks ago? :P I think the OS situation is misleading. 3GB for an OS is not right.

Well for xbo it's 3gb for the virtual machine and the xb os and the win8 os running in it... from what I get....

But to be honest I don't give a damn about other consoles as long as I'm satisfied with the offering on my console of choice...

I'm actually more pissed by people hating the Kinect for example than the Ps fan bragging about the ram or gpu speed... even though they are often/sometime the same people....

4.5GB for the PS4 or 5GB for the Xbox One is way okay for games anyway :) And frankly; as I said in another thread; I HATE when I push my Xbox Guide button and it almost freeze my console just to show up my friend list... Now I think the overall Xbox One experience will be very smooth (same for the PS4).

OT: I agree with Endimion; PS fans bashing the Xbox and coming back with stupid comment like "one dev from Ubisoft said it PS4 is better than Xbox One" is okay; I mean what else to expect from a fan, right; I would do the same

What is annoying is more the people bashing Kinect or Xbox Live; just because "they" do not see any value in these.