By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii NA sales plunge, can anyone give me an explanation why?

sc94597 said:

Sherlock99 said:

Soriku said:
Wii fad is FINALLY over!

if the wii is a fad then what is the 360/ps3 their doing worse then the wii on an weekly basics?

So you do know that soriku is kidding right.

No $#!^ Sherlock.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

I've always wanted a Wii to PS3 to 360 breakdown by state inside the US.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Kayanator said:
But if Wii's were diverted for the SSBB Japanese launch then why are European sales consitently near double than North American sales for the wii?

Besides the fact that it's not double and that Europe has a higher population let me explain:

Japan has the NTSC system, so does the US. Europe however uses PAL. That means that in planning production Ninetendo makes a certain amount of PAL units and a certain amount of NTSC units. Even though the consoles are region-locked someone else already pointed out that this can be changed quite easily. PAL to NTSC goes deeper into the hardware (TV input) and therefore cannot be changed that simple. 

Therefore if units are relocated to increase supply for big software launches the allocation will be among NTCS consoles. 

The Wii is limited in supply. The amount of consoles each territory gets on a monthly basis fluctuates. You have 2 months in 2006 and 12 months of 2007 data to figure this out yourself. Its not rocket science.

Every time this happened last year it spawned these "wolf in sheep's clothing" threads. Where someone comes to point out limited supply in a certain region and asks us to "explain it" when what they are really getting at on the underside, is that the Wii demand has fallen. Each time, time passes and the Wii in that region rises once again and you disappear, until the Wii hits a supply lull in that area again.

And then you back with another thread. So please don't get upset with us making fun of you with the whole "LOL ya right man I guess teh fad is ovA!" stuff. At this point its been around 16 months of these same ol' threads. And humor is the only tool we have to keep from letting this rehashed nonsense drive us insane.

So what have we learned from this thread everyone?
Don't ever ask why Wii numbers are low in any one region, because if you do; you're a blithering idiot or a fanboy.
Sound reasoning indeed. People should be allowed to ask questions like these without being shot down like a black sparrow with a Barrett .50.
I think there's no doubt that, despite disagreements on this subject, the Nintendo fans are by far the most defensive on site.
It doesn't really take a whole lot of words before either side jumps in the foxholes and fire up the verbal mortars, it looks like everyones fuse is getting shorter by the day.
If these trends continue, I can see Vgchartz becoming downright unpleasant over time, especially with many new users adding fuel to the fire over time.

Let's all try to to tone down (yes I am trying as best I can) and keep the relatively polite tone of the site intact!

Around the Network

'cue folks to bash me and tell me that my post was somehow a cloaked jab at the Wii and a concealed confirmation that the Wii is a fad.'

'sigh'... a popes job is never done....

Kayanator said:
If it is supply issues please inform me however last weeks surge in sales and Europes Double-NA wii sales tell me it is not an isue of supply as it has been resolved lat week when wii sales rose signifficantly. So why is this week so poor for the wii in NA?

Well, Japan/Asia is where Nintendo makes Wii's... America isn't that far from Asia if you just go East across the ocean (you'll end up in California or something).

Europe is farther away (option 1: past india, through the canal between Africa and Asia and in the Mediterranean sea OR To America, Panama Canal, cross the Atlantic ocean).

So i guess it takes longer to ship Wii's to Europe.

So the European shipment was sent earlier. The American shipment is smaller because there was this little game called Super Smash Bros: Brawl released in Japan, oddly, they seem to love it! ... 

THE NETHERLANDS

In the next couple of weeks when Wii sales are back up it'll be funny to see all the SDF'ers eating crow

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Mummelmann: Your post was somehow a cloaked jab at the Wii and a concealed confirmation that the Wii is a fad.

StarcraftManiac said:
Kayanator said:
If it is supply issues please inform me however last weeks surge in sales and Europes Double-NA wii sales tell me it is not an isue of supply as it has been resolved lat week when wii sales rose signifficantly. So why is this week so poor for the wii in NA?

Well, Japan/Asia is where Nintendo makes Wii's... America isn't that far from Asia if you just go East across the ocean (you'll end up in California or something).

Europe is farther away (option 1: past india, through the canal between Africa and Asia and in the Mediterranean sea OR To America, Panama Canal, cross the Atlantic ocean).

So i guess it takes longer to ship Wii's to Europe.

So the European shipment was sent earlier. The American shipment is smaller because there was this little game called Super Smash Bros: Brawl released in Japan, oddly, they seem to love it! ...

Intresting is, that the ships arrive in Canada, on the Atlantic side, not pacific. At least I read they are shipped to quebec. I can't find the link right now. Why? I don't know, you are right the pacific should be faster, but maybe the Atlantic way is cheaper (because the ships are crossing Europe on the way). I know that Nintendo said they need 20 days for shipping it to NA, and nobody can tell me that a ship needs that long to cross the pacific.

Edit: 

Ah I found one  hint in the wikipedia quite fast. Nintendo of Canada is on the east of canada. Their distrubution center is in the west. (link). It makes no sense to do that, unless you get your shippments on the west (e.g. Atlantic).