By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My thoughts on Tekken Revolution - What are yours?

I've been a Tekken fan since the original but admit to not really supporting the franchise since Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection on PSN.  Last month, Tekken Revolution was released, but it's only been recently that I downloaded it and tried it out.

I have to admit I am thoroughly impressed.  Some people might harp on how much it's missing (only has three modes--neither of which are fleshed out, a fraction of the typical roster count, and time playing it is limited unless you pony up), but for those naysayers, I say buy Tekken Tag 2 or Tekken 6.  This is not like other f2p games that offer the same content as comparable packaged products because Namco makes the comparable products.  Doing so would undercut those sales or potential future sales of standalone Tekken titles (which haven't been selling great as it is).

Still, I was pleasantly surprised to find a good looking, responsive online fighter which I could play for free.  And the few characters offered were solid and more can be unlocked through playing.  Unless you are playing primarily fighters and want to have unlimited time with the title, you still get a lot of bang for NO buck.  The idea that certain mode timers refill in order to keep playtime limited (unless you're willing to spend dough) doesn't bother me, because I'm not trying to play Tekken for 2 or 3 hours at a time anyway.  And the option to win tickets through matches which allow you more matches to play doesn't hurt either.  My only complaint is that there isn't a training mode, because a lot of players you'll face online are really good.  Still, Arcade can serve for that (when pressing pause each character's move list is available like every other game in the series, so I use arcade to practice them).

So if you want to play some Tekken between whatever other games you are playing or between any other activities, Tekken Revolution is a good FREE option.  But if you expect to spend hours at a time playing it and becoming a professional Evo fighter, don't bother unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money.

Around the Network

I thought it was okay. My Tekken friend hates it though. Even though he didn't play it.

Love it, only thing I would change is the invincible moves, they are too easy to spam and loads of people do nothing just that.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

I want to like it but there is one problem that just can't be overlooked. It's just unacceptable.

There is no training mode.

Making a fighting game without a training mode is almost like committing a cardinal sin. What were they thinking? Or maybe I'm missing something?

It is a Tekken game... for bad or good (choose based in your opinion).

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:
I want to like it but there is one problem that just can't be overlooked. It's just unacceptable.

Making a fighting game without a training mode is almost like committing a cardinal sin. What were they thinking? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Training mode was meant to be in an update coming this week but for whatever reason is delayed (unless you download the one in the JP store)

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Only played one round in the arcade, so my opinion is limited at this point. I need to see more, but from what I played it was fun. I'll post up later in the week after I have played more.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

Ajescent said:
UltimateUnknown said:

Training mode was meant to be in an update coming this week but for whatever reason is delayed (unless you download the one in the JP store)

Yeah I need training mode because you don't just jump online on a fighting game without any practice whatsoever and even more so because this is my first Tekken since Tekken 5 on PS2. A good training mode with combo practice options and a tutorial that shows you all the mechanics in the game is vital. I know this is F2P, but you can't just drop someone in a fighting game without any instructions whatsoever. It just doesn't work that way anymore.

Ajescent said:
UltimateUnknown said:

I didn't know one was planned but that's ashame it never came.  That is my one gripe, but I think if you want a full experience Tekken Revolution isn't really the game to play anyway.  It's good for Tekken /fighting game fans who want to infrequently get in a match against someone on the network, but it will never replace the full retail product.  It doesn't even have local multiplayer!  I have a feeling giving us a free "taste" is within Namco's intentions so that we will want a complete game and buy TT2 or else be forced to spend money on time bought to play TR, but I don't think it'll hurt the bottom line if they included a training mode.

Ajescent said:
Love it, only thing I would change is the invincible moves, they are too easy to spam and loads of people do nothing just that.

Yeah, they are a little overpowerful, but I don't think the spamming is out of control (in my personal experience so far).  Either way, they aren't hard to evade.