By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Japanese developers started making RPGs like Skyrim or Fallout...

Tagged games:

Would they be considered JRPGs????

Yes 35 34.31%

No 49 48.04%

They are W-J-RPGs 18 17.65%

Total:102

you mean first-person view RPG must categoric as western RPG...??

Around the Network

Maybe, just not a fan on how JRPG's look and feel.

They'd be JRPGs still. The existence of both JRPG and WRPG, seems only a reality due to the arrival of most Western developed RPGs unto consoles. I think the distinction results from factions of people probably unintentionally assuming Western Rpgs are action-rpgs and that Japanese Rpgs are turn-based rpgs. At least that's a thought I arrive at when people suggest that Dark Souls isn't a JRPG; one has to wonder what the other Action-Rpgs in From Software's library, such as King's Field and Lost Kingdoms, would be seen to be. The concept of traditional JRPG, an idea based on the percentage of Japanese RPGs that have come to the West, also contributes to the possibly that an Action-RPG similar to Skyrim and Fallout 3 would be viewed as a western game made in the Japan.

Tbh I never like to use JRPG, WRPG. I've gamed for 24 years (I'm 29) and it never used to be like that so I'm not going to start, there all the RPGs to me.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Wright said:

It is considered an JRPG indeed.

Ha! You beat me by 7 hours.

This topic was the reason for my very first post if I recall correctly. Back then, people were calling WRPGs RPGs and JRPGs JRPGs, which made no sense. It doesn't matter how the RPG plays when it comes to the WRPG and JRPG since the classification is based on the region the game was made. Here's another example:

This is a turn-based WRPG, much like Dragon's Dogma is an Action based JRPG (or Action RPG before WRPGs actually became decent) .

AshKetchum1992 said:
And why did the clasification of RPGs based on the country of origin appear?

When western developers started making popular western RPGs (around the time Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3 released on consoles). Before then, most people classified JRPGs as turn-based, strategy, or action RPGs. WRPGs were usually classified as PC RPGs because that's really the only platform they were popular on.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network
AshKetchum1992 said:

very informative.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

RPGs like Skyrim or Fallout I would call Sandbox RPGs

Whether they are made by Western developers or Japanese.

No, JRPGS are what I have come to know as the only true RPG. Although, I always thought RPG stood for Rocket-propelled grenade. I don't think Japanese are interested in our type of RPG. Neither am I quite frankly.

zarx said:
AshKetchum1992 said:

Because back in the SNES to PSX days Japan made a very distinct brand of RPGs defined largely by Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. With a few veriations such as Secret of Mana and Tactics Ogre etc. Where as Western developers branched off in a seperate direction with games like TES, Fallout, later Ultima and eventually Infinity engine etc. And the labels just kinda stuck, even tho even back in the day their was some overlap especially in the dungeon crawler sub genre.

Ultima came out a long, long time before Fallout/TES.

I've only really noticed the term 'jrpg' this generation. It's not like we didn't have enough ways to classify a genre in a medium which doesn't easily lend itself to genres in the first place..

For the "true Americans" anything that's not made in America or the west should be shunned and avoided and slapped with a made in ______ label.

Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz