By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 outselling the 360 by 10,000 with US and Others COMBINED!!!

@ 4D

Ok good comeback wasnt ready for that.

But how can u say they them games arent going cause a boost. Not only hardcores buy these games. Its just having solid titles in the shelf

btw dignity *cough*

Around the Network

doom102575 said:

The stupidity of some people amaze me I love reading when people only name a few games that are coming to a system as being thier salvation. There are alot of games coming to the market for the PS3 that are for casual and Hardcore. Also last time I checked GT5 wasn't a hardcore game since when did racers become hardcore?

As for your pathetic financials statement even when the PS3 posted their $833 million dollar loss for the 2nd quater financials the company still almost made 1 billion in profits if I remember correctly. So I guess you are right the PS3 almost made them close their doors cause I could barely get by with that kind of profit.

And the blu-ray market it one year into existance as well it is future money they are looking at not todays. Seeing that the movie industry in total is bigger then the game industry if the get 25% od the dvd market which is more then possible they will be making a ton of money. The only thing holding that market down atm is price but now alot of new movies on Blu-ray are coming out at 24.99 compared to 17.99 DVD only a matter of time before some of the market share swings that way.

So in addition to calling me stupid you make the vague declaration that there are many games on par with afor mentioned titles that are suppossed to be comming out for the PS3 (because I'm sure there are none what-so-ever comming out for the 360 or Wii). The games I listed are those that will matter the most to undecided potential adopters and thus serve as the most effective examples in driving home a much larger point. Agree or disagree if you like, but if namecalling is one of your first reactions then its fairly easy to see who is getting flustered by the discussion.

If all you can offer is pety hope that the unremarkable HD Disc market will grow any faster than it already has then you have my condolences. I like how you assume Blu-Ray will replace DVD as well, as if beating HD-DVD has garanteed it anything in the way of the market's future. Even if you ignore the varieties of more advanced and more appealing disc formats on the horizon 5-10 years down the road there's really no reason for people to invest in a new media library that only gives you the benefit of higher resolution. People want a breakthrough that warrents change, not a slight improvement over the existant standard which they're more than content with. DVD had huge benefits over VHS, CD had huge benefits over Cassettes, each was a shoe in because of what they offered in convenience of navigation, playability and an ideal preservation of ones media library. Digital picture and sound where just the icing on the cake in lieu of what these new formats reprented to the consumer's core interests. What HD discs offer over SD discs is just superficial and really silly when you try to use that as a reason to replace your entire media library. By your logic Mini-Discs would have been a shoe in over CDs.

greenmedic88 said:
More assets do no mean MS has a blank check to dump as many resources as possible on a commercially non-viable division. This is not to say that the game division does not have potential for more future profits. It is profitable, but not if they recklessly dump resources while simultaneously cutting revenues. MS did not become the company it is today with such business practices.

And being more adept at cutting costs doesn't mean Sony actually is doing so at a pace needed to sustain more price drops or that they can do so and not risk jepordizing the Sony brand any further. It's all speculation. What we do know is that from the past Sony has been able to cut the price of their product repeatedly (cuttin costs of production is debateable) and Microsoft has been able dump funds into the Xbox brand with no problem. The real question then which do you think these two strategies will become a problem for their company first?

WhiteDevil said:
@ 4D

Ok good comeback wasnt ready for that.

But how can u say they them games arent going cause a boost. Not only hardcores buy these games. Its just having solid titles in the shelf

btw dignity *cough*

Of course those games will cause a significant boost. But not enough. And certainly no more a boost than what similar titles on the 360 have. Since the day the PS3 launched you well wishers have been feeding us declarations of future games saving the console, and well over a year later, nothing has changed. Forgive us if we've grown tired of your promises.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
1: Stop making shooters. Please. You're not Valve or Free Radical.
2: Stop trying to force photo-realism down my throat until you can get out of the uncanny valley. Work on style and presentation instead of just pixels and bloom.
3: Try something weird and new, and hope we like it.

You'll cut costs way more than you cut revenue, and thus increase profit.
4D Gamer III said:
@ White Devil

Do you own a comb? - FTW!!!!

Seriously though, if that's your best retort than you might be wise to duck out of the thread with what little dignity can be afforded you. Though, from someone who has convinced themselves that there is divine providence for the PS3 yet, I don't really know what else I was expecting in the way of an intelligent discussion grounded in reality. I must admit my own fault here in holding you to too high a standard.

+1 for 4D gamer - I nearly fell outta my chair on that one ... 

4D Gamer III said:
doom102575 said:
4D Gamer III said:
If you're holding out hope for MGS4, FFXIII and GT5, then you'll be sorely dissapointed I'm afraid. While these will ring in the dedicated hardcores, the console they're on will prevent them from drawing in the much larger ambient audience that was receptive of both the PS and PS2. You'll be hard pressed to win over any casual or very many core gamers with these aging titles. As I said before, even the N64 had sure fired hits like Super Mario 64, Starfox 64 and LOZ: Ocarina of Time.

PS2 is fast declining as the Wii fills its niche and the PSP is another sad story all to itself though while making a profits is dropping off at a fast pace from the holiday sales. Sony can only leech off them for so long.

This persisted belief that Sony can in anyway compete financially with MS has gone from sad to almost insulting that you would expect anyone to swallow such a load. I really wonder if this is an argument you're partaking of or just an attempt to feed your own wanton beliefs that the PS3 will dominate as its predicessors before it.

As for Blu-Ray profits, last time I checked VHS was outselling Blu-Ray and HD-DVD combined, that's not very much profit to go around I'm afraid especially when you divide it by all the other companies invested in Blu-Ray.

The stupidity of some people amaze me I love reading when people only name a few games that are coming to a system as being thier salvation. There are alot of games coming to the market for the PS3 that are for casual and Hardcore. Also last time I checked GT5 wasn't a hardcore game since when did racers become hardcore?

As for your pathetic financials statement even when the PS3 posted their $833 million dollar loss for the 2nd quater financials the company still almost made 1 billion in profits if I remember correctly. So I guess you are right the PS3 almost made them close their doors cause I could barely get by with that kind of profit.

And the blu-ray market it one year into existance as well it is future money they are looking at not todays. Seeing that the movie industry in total is bigger then the game industry if the get 25% od the dvd market which is more then possible they will be making a ton of money. The only thing holding that market down atm is price but now alot of new movies on Blu-ray are coming out at 24.99 compared to 17.99 DVD only a matter of time before some of the market share swings that way.

So in addition to calling me stupid you make the claim there are alot of games on par with afor mentioned titles that are suppossed to be comming out for the PS3 (because I'm sure there are none for the 360 or Wii). The games I listed are those that will matter the most to undecided potential adopters and thus serve as the most effective examples in driving home a much larger point.

If all you can offer is pety hope that the unremarkable HD Disc market will grow any faster than it already has then you have my condolences. I like how you assume Blu-Ray will replace DVD as well, as if beating HD-DVD has garanteed it anything in the way of the market's future. Even if you ignore the varieties of more advanced and more appealing disc formats on the horizon 5-10 years down the road there's really no reason for people to invest in a new media library that only gives you the benefit of higher resolution. People want a breakthrough that warrents change, not a slight improvement over the existant standard which they're more than content with. DVD had huge benefits over VHS, CD had huge benefits over Cassettes, each was a shoe in because of what they offered in convenience of navigation, playability and an ideal preservation of ones media library. Digital picture and sound where just the icing on the cake in lieu of what these new formats reprented to the consumer's core interests. What HD discs offer over SD discs is just superficial and really silly when you try to use that as a reason to replace your entire media library. By your logic Mini-Discs would have been a shoe in over CDs.

Now you are reading into things and assuming I stated nothing was coming out for the other systems. I was only stating there were many games coming out for the Ps3 for all fans. Which was in reference to your holding out for hope statement. So I guess Halo 3 won't sell due to it being an aging title. Maybe Super Smash brothers won't either due to how aged this title is your argument is silly. I apologise if you took offense to the stupidity comment as I was a bit out of line with that I should have used a nicer word :).

As for your statement no reason to invest in a format with slight improvements. I ask you a question do you think in say 1 year when there are 20 million PS3 owners that when they have a choice to buy an outdated DVD or a Blu-ray disc for the same price they would actually choose the inferior product? I think not. That is really all I have to say today back to work now. Was a pleasure having the discussion with you 4D.

PS3(60GB)/360(Elite)/Wii/SNES/Ultimate Gaming PC owner :)

Why do you assume all PS3 owners will bother with Blu-Ray. Why do you assume any PS3 owner isn't bitter with Blu-Ray over making their console so expensive and crippling the Playstation's grip on the market? Why do you think the PS3's numbers will in anyway force an unavoidable change in home media formats? I think you've confused PS3 owners with the home media market as a whole.

I'm sure it makes sense to you, but if everyone shared your way of thinking, the PS3 would be the number one selling console right now.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
1: Stop making shooters. Please. You're not Valve or Free Radical.
2: Stop trying to force photo-realism down my throat until you can get out of the uncanny valley. Work on style and presentation instead of just pixels and bloom.
3: Try something weird and new, and hope we like it.

You'll cut costs way more than you cut revenue, and thus increase profit.
Around the Network

Wow, this thread is hilarious. MOAR! I want to see MOAR fighting!

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

4D Gamer III said:
Why do you assume all PS3 owners will bother with Blu-Ray. Why do you assume any PS3 owners aren't bitter with Blu-Ray over making their console so expensive and crippling the Playstation's grip on the market? Why do you think the PS3's numbers will in anyway force an unavoidable change in home media formats? I think you've also confused PS3 owners with the home media market as a whole. Your hopes and aspirations for Blu-Ray make too many jumps of logic and really reach too far.

I have a PS3 and me not so much impressed with Blu Ray. I have more HD DVDs than my Bluz, though I do rent Bluz from Netflix, but the lack of features hurts big time. Yeah, the library rocks, but that's the only factor. Technically, HD DVD is leaps and bounds over Blu Ray. Blu won because of one thing - studio support. Studios wanted region locking, something that HD DVD didn't offer. There you have it.

And if someone wants to rant about the HD DVD audio, fat chance. The audio is essentially the same on both format - and require a very high-end system to tell the difference.

The joke is on folks who buy a PS3 NOW and think it's sooooo far ahead of the 360 in every department when it's not. If only folks knew that the 360 offers a similar gaming experience (ok, I can't put my 360 controller in front of me and race in 'Motorstorm' - but I do have rumble from jump ...). Sure, the PS3 offers HD viewing with Blu Ray, but it would have helped Sony out (and gamers) by just bypassing it and dealing with the DVD-9 issues. 

I think we'll continue to see the PS3 outsell the 360. The 360's userbase will continue to be large in the U.S. but will obviously not exceed the PS3's in Europe and Japan so in the end as we all should have assumed, the PS3 will outsell the 360 on a week to week basis with a few weeks going either way from here on out.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

The PS3 is catching, but the 360 still has a quite large lead. I don't see the PS3 taking over for quite a while yet.

And anything could change in the meanwhile. Price changes, games that disappoint, or games that surprisingly impress.

I agree about the arguements. They do make for some serouis entertainment. My whole thing is I wasn't even attacking the Ps3, just stating a local observation. I don't care if it outsells the 360 or Wii (which I have both and I'll soon be getting one of those cheap ps3's from ebay when games come out that i want).

But people act like you smacked there mom in the mouth when you say something THEY view as disparging about their system of choice. And then want to attack you and call you immature or something. If that's not the very definition of ironic, then?

But anyway. Put me in the bracket of people that don't think MGS5 or GTA5 or FFX13 are going to help Sony leap grand canyon hurdles. Sure their are people like me out there who will buy it once there a many games (MGS4 being one) that they want for the system.

But everyone here comparing those games needs to have a reality check. The marketing campaign for Halo was HUGE. It was like the Super Mario 3 campaign back in the day when McDonalds had Mario happy meals and things of that sort.

Honestly ask yourself, are they going to have MGS4 soft drinks, towels, commercials every five seconds with some variation of the catchy tag phrase "Finish the fight?" or things of that sort. Yes the game will come out and review well and be received well by gamers.

But Halo3 appeals to a bigger demographic than FF13, MGS4, and GTA5. Just look at history, that's a fact. There are far more people that are casual, core gamers that buy Halo games than those 3 games.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

A lot of people are also just discounting what MS has up it's sleeve, to which this effect we really don't know. I keep reading about how sony is going to drop prices and etc. But MS can do the exact same thing and actually get the 360 to a cheaper price point than Sony. MS is a lot closer to that magic $200 price point than Sony is currently as well.

In the end though really what difference does it make? If you have either system and enjoy it. Then do that, there's not going to be a magic prize at the end of the rainbow if either of the prediction made by anyone is right. Just the fact that you can maybe thump your chest and say "I told you so..."

www.talkxbox.com - It is what it is!