By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - America: Lifetime predictions for all consoles

I opened a similar thread about Europe/ others sales and I’d like to hear your opinions about lifetime sales of all 7th generation consoles in the US / America. Please keep your numbers reasonable and back it up with some thoughts.

Well, here we go:

Playstation 3

15 million units

America seems to be the Playstation 3´s smallest market compared to market size – currently the Playstation 3 is selling somewhere between Gamecube and Xbox level and I expect it to sell slightly less than the Xbox but more than Nintendos Gamecube did. My prediction is 15 million units (12.5 million low-end, 17.5 million high-end) while I expect it to sell better in Europe.

Xbox 360

20 million units

Microsoft’s new baby is currently tracking above Xbox (1) levels in the Americas and with the option of at least 2 further price drops I expect momentum for the Xbox 360 to last. All in all it should stop selling at more than 20 million units (17.5 – 22.5 million) in its home country, which is a lot more than the original Xbox sold.

Wii

60 million units

This number may seem huge but please let me explain: Nintendo is currently aiming for the non-gamer and I expect this to work best in the US. Why? The Wii has a cool image there, it is selling at a Playstation 2 level while still being sold out and while some people think Brawl and Wii Fit may be Japan centric games I expect them to sell even better in the US. This always was and probably will be Nintendos strongest market – America is going to be for the Wii what Japan was for the DS and therefore I expect the Wii to outsell the Playstation 2 in the end – keep in mind this number is not that crazy as the Playstation 2 will probably exceed 50 million units in the US, too.

Nintendo DS

45 million units

The DS is the fastest selling console of all times and while it took some time for it to truly pick up in the US it is now selling at a much faster rate than the GBA and the Playstation 2. On the other hand it is possible that Nintendo will release its next handheld in some years and therefore I expect the Nintendo DS to sell “only” 45 million units – more than GBA sold but less than Playstation 2. Of course it will sell more if there is enough time but for now I’ll just go with 45 million units (50 million high-end, which is quite possible, too.)

Playstation Portable

17.5 million Units

Well, the Playstation Portable is always a bit crazy to predict as hardware sells good but people seem to forget there is software available for the system. I expect the Playstation Portable to sell 17.5 million units in the US – pretty good for a handheld that is not from Nintendo, isn´t it?

So, what are your predictions? And what do you think of my numbers? I´d be glad to get some responses, especially if they are backed up with some thoughts.

Around the Network

Honestly, people give answers to Crazzy-mans "Marioboys bought SMG OMG!" thread ... post, people or I´ll lose all my faith in VGchartz

Wii: 180 million
360: 25 million
PS3: 25 million

DS: 1100 million
PSP: 20 million

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

may be i agree with the sales of ps3 and 360 but not for wii
60 mil for Wii is realy big,i say 40 mil

and for supermario128:

DS: 1100 million loool...you crazy

supermario128 said:

DS: 1100 million

Zomg every American will buy like 4 DS'es each XD

Around the Network

Wii 60 million
DS-100 million
PS3- 20 million
360- 25 million
Psp-20 million

Why do people keep thinking Wii will pass DS sales?

PS3 will outsell 360.

PS3: 35M

360: 25M

Wii: 55M

haha

Wii - 65 Million

PS3 - 37 million

xbox360 - 28 million

I was joking in my last post btw if you didn't notice.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089