By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will The Same Strategy For The 3DS Work On The Wii U?

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Mensrea said:

A quick, lazy 3D Mario won't work on the Wii U like SM3DL worked on 3DS.
No Mario Kart this holiday season
Price cut probably not happening
Heavy competition.

I personally don't see this holiday being the turnaround that the 3DS had.

Lets not underestimate Nintendo's lineup this year, they have Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Super Luigi U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker HD and Super 3D Mario World.  Tbh I think that's solid, and they have Mario Kart in early 2014, not holiday season.

you forgot sonic as well. 

Around the Network

Egann 1 hour ago :
said
"The 3DS's price cut was basically slightly below break even. The Wii U is also being sold slightly below break even and Nintendo can't afford to take a major loss on hardware, therefore Nintendo cannot and will not drop the Wii U's price. Nothing else to it."

Nintendo has tons of cash- they can afford to invest some of it in the Wii U including selling the console at a loss- or greater loss than they originally planed- IMO Nintendo is being "penny wise and pound foolish" re the Wii U- or they don t have the confidence to invest the extra $$ s in the console to give it a better chance of succeeding

Dunban67 said:
Egann 1 hour ago :
said
"The 3DS's price cut was basically slightly below break even. The Wii U is also being sold slightly below break even and Nintendo can't afford to take a major loss on hardware, therefore Nintendo cannot and will not drop the Wii U's price. Nothing else to it."

Nintendo has tons of cash- they can afford to invest some of it in the Wii U including selling the console at a loss- or greater loss than they originally planed- IMO Nintendo is being "penny wise and pound foolish" re the Wii U- or they don t have the confidence to invest the extra $$ s in the console to give it a better chance of succeeding

Well one difference between the Wii U and 3DS is the yen has weakened a lot against the dollar/euro the last year thanks to policies of the new Japanese government.

So Nintendo should be able to drop the price at least in the US/Euro markets just based on currency flucuations, not to mention factoring in the natural decrease in manufacturing costs that all electronics go through about a year of mass production.

Soundwave 1 hour ago
good points all around- I just want to see them try instead of just hoping it will get better

Soundwave said:
Dunban67 said:
Egann 1 hour ago :
said

Well one difference between the Wii U and 3DS is the yen has weakened a lot against the dollar/euro the last year thanks to policies of the new Japanese government.

So Nintendo should be able to drop the price at least in the US/Euro markets just based on currency flucuations, not to mention factoring in the natural decrease in manufacturing costs that all electronics go through about a year of mass production.

Another difference is that Nintendo will have profits from 3DS and Wii U software sales that could outweigh the loss per Wii U console sold.

Around the Network

So the question here is basically "Will games and a lower-price point sell a console?"

I would hope so, as that is what gaming companies have been doing for years to sell their consoles.

Mensrea said:

Heavy competition.

The thing is, there are many, many people unlike you. You think SM3DL and SM3DW are lazy Mario games. But what about those 8 Million plus people who bought SM3DL? Or the 5 Million (and surely more) people who will buy SM3DW?

There are many people who will buy these games. Even if some people consider them lazy.

Still, I agree with your final point. Thinking the Wii U will turn around as well as the 3DS did in one year is crazy.

NintendoPie said:
Mensrea said:

Heavy competition.

The thing is, there are many, many people unlike you. You think SM3DL and SM3DW are lazy Mario games. But what about those 8 Million plus people who bought SM3DL? Or the 5 Million (and surely more) people who will buy SM3DW?

There are many people who will buy these games. Even if some people consider them lazy.

Still, I agree with your final point. Thinking the Wii U will turn around as well as the 3DS did in one year is crazy.

Regarding Mario: 3D land wasn't lazy. It tried something new, while pushing the 3DS. 3D world isn't new, it's a level pack for SM3DL (A game that was designed around handhelds specifically) that looks like it could have been accomplished on the Wii (if the wii could output in HD). It's a lazy game. SM3DL wasn't to my liking, but it wasn't lazy. SM3DW looks lazy, and unfun. 

I just don't see a game like SM3DW doing anything big. 

Mensrea said:

Regarding Mario: 3D land wasn't lazy. It tried something new, while pushing the 3DS. 3D world isn't new, it's a level pack for SM3DL (A game that was designed around handhelds specifically) that looks like it could have been accomplished on the Wii (if the wii could output in HD). It's a lazy game. SM3DL wasn't to my liking, but it wasn't lazy. SM3DW looks lazy, and unfun. 

I just don't see a game like SM3DW doing anything big. 

So you are saying that a 3D Mario game won't help the Wii U? Just because you think it looks lazy and unfun.

Okay. An interesting opinion, but I'll take it for what it is.

NintendoPie said:
So the question here is basically "Will games and a lower-price point sell a console?"

I would hope so, as that is what gaming companies have been doing for years to sell their consoles.

I lol'd. Yeah this whole discussion was kinda silly when you put it that way.