By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Rome: Total War and the PC ability to make older things look great

I have not played since Empire, because it put me off for new titles but I will buy Total war: Rome 2. My first was Medievil total war and at the time I thought it was a masterpiece and then came Rome total war which was also a masterpiece in its own way. Medievil total war 2 was not so great not sure why but was a solid title. I probably put over 1000 hrs in rome and medievil total war. Every time I start a game something surprises me in Rome, like Armenia dominating the east and challenging Egypt. Or my leader living until he was 90! longer then his grandsons. At first he was a sucky general but living until 90 he became adept at everything lol.

Around the Network
zarx said:
Akvod said:
I say that big TV's make everything look ugly, as opposed to a small screen.

I find it's usually the opposite, you usually sit much further back from a TV. Sitting real close to a monitor allows you to see more fine detail which means that you can see the small flaws like aliasing, jagged shadows, texture seams etc a lot more.

But you are playing PC games at 1080p, so against the 720p of the console games, it definitely looks sharper. Added to that the smaller size of the monitors, it makes everything look even sharper again, meaning that there are far fewer small flaws to see

Munkeh111 said:
zarx said:
Akvod said:

I find it's usually the opposite, you usually sit much further back from a TV. Sitting real close to a monitor allows you to see more fine detail which means that you can see the small flaws like aliasing, jagged shadows, texture seams etc a lot more.

But you are playing PC games at 1080p, so against the 720p of the console games, it definitely looks sharper. Added to that the smaller size of the monitors, it makes everything look even sharper again, meaning that there are far fewer small flaws to see

I was just talking screen vs screen, not PC vs Console.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Coincidentally I re-installed Rome Total War again just mere days ago.

I agree, it's still awesome, both in looks and naturally in gameplay. Personally though old graphics would never stop me replaying games, especially classic gems like this one .

zarx said:
Akvod said:

Monitors generally have much higher pixel density though than TV's, which counteracts that, which is obvious.

<3 The pixel density of my monitors, really makes me drool in the anticipation of 4k panels.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Coincidentally I re-installed Rome Total War again just mere days ago.

I agree, it's still awesome, both in looks and naturally in gameplay. Personally though old graphics would never stop me replaying games, especially classic gems like this one .

I hear ya! That's absolutely correct. But there is one thing that sometimes makes me think twice: many old 3d games have suffered from the test of time, much more than their 2d counterparts. Lots of PSx titles out there show what I mean.

zarx said:
Munkeh111 said:
zarx said:
Akvod said:

I was just talking screen vs screen, not PC vs Console.

Fair enough, for me that only corresponds to PC vs console, so that was the comparison I made

Munkeh111 said:

Fair enough, for me that only corresponds to PC vs console, so that was the comparison I made

Well you could connect a PC to a TV, or even a console to a monitor. But anyway we cool

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Dont forget that you can take an old game and MOD it so it looks better than the successor (GTA 4 + mods looks better than GTA5)

Does not change the fact that GTA5 will most likely have much better gameplay :(

Thats why I am waiting for GTA5 on PC best version confirmed!

zarx said:
Munkeh111 said:

Well you could connect a PC to a TV, or even a console to a monitor. But anyway we cool

Actually I have had my Xbox connected to one of my monitors, it does make a huge difference

Equally when Rome II comes out I want to move my deskptop and connect it my big screen to get the appropriately epic scale that game requires.

Each has their own advantages