By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did SOny just prove Wii U RAM is better than PS4 RAM? Video inside

TheJimbo1234 said:

So then that would imply the eRAM is slower than what is suggested as the other componets are very slow compared to the HYPOTHETICAL eRAM Sony were talking about

eDRAM is built onto the GPU die... so the common sense is that clock of eDRAM is based in the clock of the GPU.

Wii U: 450Mhz
PS4: 800Mhz

Just that already hint for a eDRAM close to twice fast in PS4 than Wii U... it's not a proof but just a hint after all because we need to know the ratio (eDRAM clock to GPU clock) and the internal bus width with GPU and ROPs.

Around the Network
Locknuts said:
I'm not that tech savvy, but wouldn't developer's experience dealing with the EDRAM in the Xbox360 help somewhat in developing for the Wii U? I understand that they still have different architectures, but surely the programming of code for use between the DDR3 and the EDRAM involves a similar process between the two consoles.

edram has been use in PS2 , GC Wii , Wii U so his comparison is more to do with the fact that problems with memory addressing using unified ram for both cpu and gpu have been dealt with so now unified GDDR 5 ram  is a viable alternative and not having to optimize to take advantage  EDRAM simplifies matters .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

ASStronaut said:
Who really gives a shit about all these daft, meaningless specs?
It's about the games.

But specs are the bullets in this fanboy war, cou can't fire shots if you are out of bullets.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

What the thread should have been titled is "did Sony just explain why Wii U's RAM isn't too slow", but no, it had to be framed as a console war pissing contest. *Sigh*

ListerOfSmeg said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFaKX2YnH0I&feature=player_embedded

Seems Wii U has a(Theoretical) 1k gigabyte a second bandwidth while PS4 only has 176. If Sony is right, Wii U wont be as hindered as many people want consumers to beleive.

No he didn't he never mentioned the Wii U , he was demonstrating that even if they used edram running  1k gigabyte compared to 176 you still wouldn't get  the massive difference you would assume by looking at the bandwith differentiation.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
What the thread should have been titled is "did Sony just explain why Wii U's RAM isn't too slow", but no, it had to be framed as a console war pissing contest. *Sigh*

"Sony" did no such thing - Cerny was explaining two approaches they were considering for PS4 (and btw, that was quite some time ago), and why they decided to go with unified pool (and that he stated in even older interview on Gamasutra). Not sure why people even pay attention to some random guy on Youtube who obviously has absolutely zero understanding of how hardware works, and decided to share his "knowledge" with rest of the world weeks after that conference.

For the rest who know a thing or two about hardware, WiiU's approach is something that was around for quite some time now, so not sure what the fuss is all about. I was giving example of how (rumored) WiiU equivalent GPU performs with different memory bandwidths several times, but here it is again (PS4 is between 7850 and 7870, XOne is between 7770 and 7790):

7870 = 1.22x 7850= 1.15x 7790 = 1.28x 7770 = 3.56x 5550 (GDDR5; 51.2GB/s) = 1.24x 5550 (GDDR3; 25.6GB/s) = 1.32x 5550 (DDR2; 12.8GB/s)

Last 5550 has same bandwidth as WiiU's main system memory, but due to eDRAM it is not to be expected for WiiU to perform on that level - the question remains how good you can use eDRAM to get more toward that GDDR5 level...that question is valid for XOne too, specially since it has MOVE engines in addition to eSRAM.

EDIT: Added comparisson chart

DISCLAIMER - I will not be replying to either NintendoWitness or ShinobiTroll, so don't bother jumping in.

curl-6 said:

NO the thread should be entitled why Sony chose not to use  EDRAM in the PS4 , or by your logic you could frame it  "did Sony just explain why PS2 ,GC , Wii Wii U ,360 , Xbone , Ram isn't to slow" or more aptly  "did Sony just explain why others need   Edram and they don't".

ethomaz said:
Pemalite said:
ethomaz said:

Wii U is not even close to Sony approach with eDRAM + GDDR5.

Sony has eDRAM? Or the Wii U has GDDR5? Can't tell what you're trying to say.

Did you watch the video? Sony tested eDRAM + GDDR5 with PS4 for 1TB/s bandwidth... 88GB/s for the GDDR5 + 1 TB/s of the eDRAM.

The Wii U is 12GB/s DDR3 + unknown speed for eDRAM.

Oh common, twist it all you want. You said what you said. :P
Besides, the video never mentioned the Wii, Nintendo or Xbox.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

An ignorant thread by ListerOfSmeg? ohh my god, how surprising!
And to answer your question: No. There is no mention of Wii U if you didn't know that. And why Cerny have chosen one fast pool of memory, is explained in his interviews with Gamasutra, Digital Foundry, on various developer conferences, and in this thread.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

mjk45 said:
curl-6 said:

NO the thread should be entitled why Sony chose not to use  EDRAM in the PS4 , or by your logic you could frame it  "did Sony just explain why PS2 ,GC , Wii Wii U ,360 , Xbone , Ram isn't to slow" or more aptly  "did Sony just explain why others need   Edram and they don't".

No, that's another use for the same material.