By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Ubisoft lying about ZombiU?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6raF3yKva4

Around the Network

THings change and things get canceled. They may have hoped to but for now it is on hold and may never see the light of day again unless they release it on a different platform. WHo knows what will happen. If they are serious about it they may port ZOmbiU to other consoles to test if it will sell on them. If it does then they may continue with the sequel as a multiplat game.

They're absolutely lying. ZombiU was a low budget game with many flaws and glitches, so it didn't have much developtime = less costs (not more than 1,5 years). Also, this game sold almost 500.000 and in no thinkable universe a half a million sales is bad for a new franchise. Red Steel also did about 600/700k and they came with a sequel. Just like the rest of the third party developers, they're trying to come up with excuses not to develop for Wii U.

It is a bit questionable that 470k sales isn't "close" to profitable for a game that screams low budget.

i've been looking at the original article. It is very suspicious. If you read carefully, the author neither directly quotes Guillemont nor does he provide the source.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-08-does-nintendo-stand-a-chance-this-holiday

all it says is this:

Yves Guillemot, Chairman and CEO of Ubisoft, is typically one of the biggest proponents of new systems, but betting big on the Wii U didn't work out well for the company. ZombiU, one of the most popular launch titles for the system with players, was not profitable, he says. Not even close. As such, he says, there are no plans (or even desire) for a sequel.

As you can see, it is not a direct quote from yves. Just a paragraph written by the author

I've been following Wii U news carefully because i run a blog. I cannot recount Yves saying this. There is evidence the writer is making bullshit and just assuming there won't be a sequel.

The developer of ZombiU has confirmed there are working on a prototypye in May, not too long ago. I checked my blog history and i found the article in the archives. Now tell me, if yves had no desire for a sequel then why make a protoype.

Something very sus. Very sus

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-14-ubisoft-working-hard-on-zombiu-sequel-prototype

Around the Network

It's actually been a while since I've read a good tinfoilhat thread.

Well, the game isn't anywhere near 500k, it's below 150k in the US as of today and is at less than 200k for NA + Japan combined.

That's still millions in revenue and likely profit I guess.

No theyre not lying. The game underperformed even for a new IP launch title. Deal with it.

The game didn't live past its first shipment. It's already been in the bargain bins for a long time.

500,000 copies at $25 gives $12.5 million in revenue for a game that probably cost $15 mill + $5-10 mill in marketing.

I believe it lost Ubisoft at least $10 million.

Slimebeast said:
The game didn't live past its first shipment. It's already been in the bargain bins for a long time.

500,000 copies at $25 gives $12.5 million in revenue for a game that probably cost $15 mill + $5-10 mill in marketing.

I believe it lost Ubisoft at least $10 million.

You contradict yourself there, first shipments Ubi would have got their usual cut per copy regardless of what retailers sold it at. Fact of matter is it didn't ship anywhere near 500k copies, you have Ubi devs on gaf giving a frank assesment of it who have acces to numbers.

I don't think the game got much advertising, a lot in the UK but not much elsewhere? Can't underestimate how much marketing costs though, very expensive.