By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Simplified explanation of how the PS4 is twice as strong graphically as the Xbox One

forethought14 said:
Eddie_Raja said:

There were a few reports that EA said it is in an investor call.  At the end of the day I guess nothing is 100% confirmed but I swear I read it somewhere recently.  Also the hardware is more than powerful enough to do this...

This is what is confirmed. :

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/21/battlefield-4-dice-aiming-for-64-players-60fps-on-xbox-one-ps4/

"We have a very complicated game with a lot of moving parts. We had to decide, yes, we will do this in 60FPS. Everything else is secondary."

1080p isn't out of the question (since he didn't outright state the resolution), but considering how he said that everything else aside from reaching 60fps is secondary, I wouldn't bet on it running natively in 1080p. PS4 is decently powerful, but the game not being in 1080p wouldn't surprise me.

I just don't get why they wouldn't be able to.  I mean it all it takes to 100% Max out BF3 at ~60 FPS is a 7850.  The PS4 is clearly stronger than that so BF4 should be more than doable at at least medium settings.

IMO 1080p is just as important as 60 FPS.  It is needed to see the difference between High (Or even medium sometimes) and Ultra.  At the very least I expect native 900p+.  Then again I don't care because I am getting it for PC and I will be playing Killzone on PS4 :)

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:

I just don't get why they wouldn't be able to.  I mean it all it takes to 100% Max out BF3 at ~60 FPS is a 7850.  The PS4 is clearly stronger than that so BF4 should be more than doable at at least medium settings.

IMO 1080p is just as important as 60 FPS.  It is needed to see the difference between High (Or even medium sometimes) and Ultra.  At the very least I expect native 900p+.  Then again I don't care because I am getting it for PC and I will be playing Killzone on PS4 :)

That's BF3. If BF4 had BF3 graphics, then yes, 1080p 60fps should be no problem. But they're enhancing several more graphically demanding assets into BF4 that makes the game look better, which would likely take more power to run. Also recall that the PS4 also has a CPU, not an amazing one by any stretch of the imagination, so you can't throw anything you want at it and expect it to run very well. You need to get as good of performance as you can from both the CPU and GPU, so while the GPU may be able to handle 1080p plus some nice graphical effects, the CPU may not be fast enough to keep up with them. They're likely trying to find the best balance from both the CPU and GPU so that they'll get as much graphical effects as they can, while also holding steady the CPU performance. 

forethought14 said:
Eddie_Raja said:

That's BF3. If BF4 had BF3 graphics, then yes, 1080p 60fps should be no problem. But they're enhancing several more graphically demanding assets into BF4 that makes the game look better, which would likely take more power to run. Also recall that the PS4 also has a CPU, not an amazing one by any stretch of the imagination, so you can't throw anything you want at it and expect it to run very well. You need to get as good of performance as you can from both the CPU and GPU, so while the GPU may be able to handle 1080p plus some nice graphical effects, the CPU may not be fast enough to keep up with them. They're likely trying to find the best balance from both the CPU and GPU so that they'll get as much graphical effects as they can, while also holding steady the CPU performance. 

The CPU should be equivalent to a modern i3, which (If you don't know) is an excellent gaming processor capable of maxing out even Metro: Last Light.  Also have you played BF3 maxed out at 60 FPS?  It looks a full gen ahead of PS3, and honestly besides the destruction it looked just as good as thr BF4 demos...

Once again I have to remind you that it doesn't matter how many things they add to it if there are not enough pixels to output the difference.  1080p is needed to see any improvement of BF3's graphics...

Eddie_Raja said:

The CPU should be equivalent to a modern i3, which (If you don't know) is an excellent gaming processor capable of maxing out even Metro: Last Light.  Also have you played BF3 maxed out at 60 FPS?  It looks a full gen ahead of PS3, and honestly besides the destruction it looked just as good as thr BF4 demos...

Once again I have to remind you that it doesn't matter how many things they add to it if there are not enough pixels to output the difference.  1080p is needed to see any improvement of BF3's graphics...

Yes, I know it's equivalent to an i3, but you're getting a bit confused on what I'm talking about. I'm talking about advanced lighting, tessellation, more polygons, etc, there will just be more stuff going on in BF4 than in BF3, requiring even more raw power from the CPU/GPU. Plus, they also want to target 64 players online, adding further strain on the GPU and CPU. And what other settings would you want to go along with that? I doubt PS4 would be able to handle BF4 with ultra settings @ 1080p/60fps plus exotic graphical effects. High+ settings, with several neat graphical effects, perhaps some AA, plus 60fps at 720p would probably be more in the realm of likeliness. 

kowenicki said:
gooch_destroyer said:
kowenicki said:
So we will see far more 60fps games on the PS4 than on the One?

when?

Drive club and Forza disagree. KIllzone is saying nothing.

Someone here laughed his ass off and told me that it would be pathetic if driving games arent 60fps in the next gen... he was a PS4 fan responding to the Forza confirmation of 60fps you see....

alas drive club has let him down already.

A proven series versus an unproven one.

hmm seems fair. Let me know when Forza outsells Gran Turismo.

Lol. Weak.

you played the GT sales card.  Pretty much means "I surrender", this had nothing to do with sales. I won't report you this time. 

awwww.

Awww. You won't weport him wike the witto toddwer that you aour? That's a big step for baby! Someday soon, you'll gwaduate from diapers to pull-ups. I pwomise. Seriously, you report, or threaten to report other users over the most harmless, inoffensive posts with such frequency that it's pitable. I picture you as a two year old. Thrashing at his mashed peas and carrots in his high-chair because he got vanilla ice-cream instead of strawberry. Grow a pair. Wait 12 years for them to drop, then try again.

User was banned for this post - Kantor

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:

So... Battlefield 3 won't look any different to a digital camera shot of real life at 720P?
Graphics can be dialed up significantly regardless of resolution untill we get as close to "Real life/Movie Cinematic" as possible.
Hint: We are far from being near that.

Console gamers should be happy though that Battlefield 4 won't have dialed-down map sizes and player counts, horrible texture resolution, dumbed down lighting, shadows, no Tessellation etc' etc'.
If all that happens is it turns out to be 720P and not 1080P, that's just the way it is, certainly not as horrible as the sub-HD resolution the PS3 and 360 had, you get some extra horizontal pixels thrown in.

Besides, if you are so worried about the graphics and resolution, why not just get a PC and play it at max? :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

forethought14 said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Yes, I know it's equivalent to an i3, but you're getting a bit confused on what I'm talking about. I'm talking about advanced lighting, tessellation, more polygons, etc, there will just be more stuff going on in BF4 than in BF3, requiring even more raw power from the CPU/GPU. Plus, they also want to target 64 players online, adding further strain on the GPU and CPU. And what other settings would you want to go along with that? I doubt PS4 would be able to handle BF4 with ultra settings @ 1080p/60fps plus exotic graphical effects. High+ settings, with several neat graphical effects, perhaps some AA, plus 60fps at 720p would probably be more in the realm of likeliness. 

I'm saying BF4 would look better at Mid-High settings in 1080p, than Ultra in 720p...

Pemalite said:
Eddie_Raja said:

So... Battlefield 3 won't look any different to a digital camera shot of real life at 720P?
Graphics can be dialed up significantly regardless of resolution untill we get as close to "Real life/Movie Cinematic" as possible.
Hint: We are far from being near that.

Console gamers should be happy though that Battlefield 4 won't have dialed-down map sizes and player counts, horrible texture resolution, dumbed down lighting, shadows, no Tessellation etc' etc'.
If all that happens is it turns out to be 720P and not 1080P, that's just the way it is, certainly not as horrible as the sub-HD resolution the PS3 and 360 had, you get some extra horizontal pixels thrown in.

Besides, if you are so worried about the graphics and resolution, why not just get a PC and play it at max? :P

I will be! :)

Eddie_Raja said:

I'm saying BF4 would look better at Mid-High settings in 1080p, than Ultra in 720p...

The image quality yes, it probably will look better. But again, I'm talking about  advanced effects you won't find in Med-high settings. If you run those advanced effects in 1080p, the game will likely not run anywhere near 60FPS. They could tone down the nice tessellation, polygons, lighting, nature effects etc to get it in 1080p/60FPS, but the game will probably not look anymore impressive than BF3, and just putting 1080p into it doesn't make it look automatically more impressive, it just cleans out the image quality. It's like playing Wii games on Dolphin, you can add all the 1080p, Anti-aliasing and those image-quality increasing effects you want, but it will again, just make those games look cleaner because the basic graphical assets will remain the same.

forethought14 said:

Eddie_Raja said:

The image quality yes, it probably will look better. But again, I'm talking about  advanced effects you won't find in Med-high settings. If you run those advanced effects in 1080p, the game will likely not run anywhere near 60FPS. They could tone down the nice tessellation, polygons, lighting, nature effects etc to get it in 1080p/60FPS, but the game will probably not look anymore impressive than BF3, and just putting 1080p into it doesn't make it look automatically more impressive, it just cleans out the image quality. It's like playing Wii games on Dolphin, you can add all the 1080p, Anti-aliasing and those image-quality increasing effects you want, but it will again, just make those games look cleaner because the basic graphical assets will remain the same.

After PC gaming for about 2 years now, I can safely say I prefer clean to "Special Effects."  Clean graphics actively enhance gameplay while muddled special effects at sub par quality only ever makes it hard to tell the difference between a bush and a soldier at long range while your hand looks great.

Also have you played BF3 maxed out in 1080p at 60 FPS?  God it is beautiful beyond belief sometimes...