By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Simplified explanation of how the PS4 is twice as strong graphically as the Xbox One

kowenicki said:
So we will see far more 60fps games on the PS4 than on the One?
-Developers may prefer to maintain FPS parity while using the PS4s extra power to get better graphics and special effects. So its up to the developer on a game by game basis. What we do know is that PS4 games should be better whehther that be in framerate or graphics.

when?
-Most likely we won't see any at launch. All these launch games are rushed current-gen ports.

Drive club and Forza disagree. KIllzone is saying nothing.
-These are all exclusive games. Framerate in these games is a design decision. 30FPS is a lot easier to maintain than 60. Like I said above these are launch games and they are rushed.

Someone here laughed his ass off and told me that it would be pathetic if driving games arent 60fps in the next gen... he was a PS4 fan responding to the Forza confirmation of 60fps you see....
-Again, its a design decision. Driveclub is targeting 30FPS because its a rushed launch title.(and a new IP) The devs have already said that they are aiming for 60FPS but no promises.

alas drive club has let him down already.

Bolded are my responses.

Around the Network
EpicRandy said:

Power on paper mean nothing for instance :

PS4 has always-on video compression and decompression systems for the purpose of video sharing and streaming which is great but,
it's not a costless process and, correct me if i'm wrong, but video compression is a realy demanding process.

I do not know which codec the ps4 is using for it and how efficient it is but the cost of it directly cut through the ps4's advantage over the Xbox One.

in fact, the higher the frame rate/ resolution of a game is, the higher the compression cost will be and this means that more a dev raise the frame rate / resolution of its game he litteraly will have less ressource to do it.

It is maybe one reason why Sony has announced that the ps4 will not support 4k gaming for now while microsoft annouced that nothing is blocking a dev from using 4k graphics in a game on Xbox One.

So even if on paper the ps4 has a great advantage the final result may be far from it and for what we've seen at e3, upcoming ps4 games are nowhere near as 2x better than those of xbox One.

the only true and well defined advantage of the ps4 is for now its price.

PS4 have a dedicated processing unit to video sharing feature... no main CPU, GPU or RAM is used for it .. it is free from game resources.

Anyway PS4 have a dedicated ARM CPU for background tasks and other audio dedicated unit for audio processing.

So in resume...

Games have free for it: 6x Jaguar cores, 100% GPU, 7GB RAM... no other task can touch that.

ethomaz said:
EpicRandy said:

Power on paper mean nothing for instance :

PS4 has always-on video compression and decompression systems for the purpose of video sharing and streaming which is great but,
it's not a costless process and, correct me if i'm wrong, but video compression is a realy demanding process.

I do not know which codec the ps4 is using for it and how efficient it is but the cost of it directly cut through the ps4's advantage over the Xbox One.

in fact, the higher the frame rate/ resolution of a game is, the higher the compression cost will be and this means that more a dev raise the frame rate / resolution of its game he litteraly will have less ressource to do it.

It is maybe one reason why Sony has announced that the ps4 will not support 4k gaming for now while microsoft annouced that nothing is blocking a dev from using 4k graphics in a game on Xbox One.

So even if on paper the ps4 has a great advantage the final result may be far from it and for what we've seen at e3, upcoming ps4 games are nowhere near as 2x better than those of xbox One.

the only true and well defined advantage of the ps4 is for now its price.

PS4 have a dedicated processing unit to video sharing feature... no main CPU, GPU or RAM is used for it .. it is free from game resources.

Anyway PS4 have a dedicated ARM CPU for background tasks and other audio dedicated unit for audio processing.

So in resume...

Games have free for it: 6x Jaguar cores, 100% GPU, 7GB RAM... no other task can touch that.

Didn't know about that, great stuff :)

but still, ps4 and xbox One will have their bottleneck and I will not be surprise if the ps4 advantage turns out to be much less significant.

Sony has advertise the ps4 to be realy easy to develop for. Rumours before e3 showed microsoft being 6 month late on the Xbox One content and Sony much more prepared. But what i've seen from E3 cleary showed that microsoft is, for now, at least on par with Sony on AAA titles and game's graphics.

I do not doubt that in the futur the ps4 will have better looking 1st party title but even then you will certainly not be able to qualify those games as being 2 time better than those of xbox One. And that's why power on paper is meaningless imo.

EpicRandy said:

Didn't know about that, great stuff :)

but still, ps4 and xbox One will have their bottleneck and I will not be surprise if the ps4 advantage turns out to be much less significant.

Sony has advertise the ps4 to be realy easy to develop for. Rumours before e3 showed microsoft being 6 month late on the Xbox One content and Sony much more prepared. But what i've seen from E3 cleary showed that microsoft is, for now, at least on par with Sony on AAA titles and game's graphics.

I do not doubt that in the futur the ps4 will have better looking 1st party title but even then you will certainly not be able to qualify those games as being 2 time better than those of xbox One. And that's why power on paper is meaningless imo.

I think the addicitional PS4 power will be used for better graphcis and effetcs... no gameplay or game experience changes.

Like Ubisoft with AC4: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=164623

Angelus said:
Can't believe you guys are still on about the Forza vs Drive Club comparison

Forza gameplay:

Drive Club gameplay:

One of those games is gorgeous. The other is not.
So wtf are you guys even going on and on about the frame rate for? It's not even a contest which one looks better

Yeah Drive Club looks amazing aye! 

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Can't believe you guys are still on about the Forza vs Drive Club comparison

Forza gameplay:

Drive Club gameplay:

One of those games is gorgeous. The other is not.
So wtf are you guys even going on and on about the frame rate for? It's not even a contest which one looks better

Do you actually believe this is what Drive Club looks like in game?

I mean honestly how blind can one person be. I know the excuse " I couldn't find anything better" but come on dude. What a horrible attempt at trying to make Drive Club look like a graphically inferior game. Seriously, did you even look at the screenshot? I mean really...what the hell were you thinking. I can't take someone like you seriously when you don't make any effort to have a fair comparison between Drive Club and Forza when it comes to graphics. Again, just...what were you thinking at the time? 

tuscaniman99 said:
Sorry but the 7870 has 2.56 tflops theoretical performance. PS4 is not anywhere near that. PS4 is basically a 7790.

Someone doesn't know how to read.  He said (And this is true) that theorical computational power does not directly translate into graphical power.  Otherwise the 660 Ti should be as strong as the 670.  

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

bigd615 said:
Basically in consoles from everything I see, more power for 1 console just means that developers don't have to work quite as hard to get the same results for that console (if architecture is similar). Does it mean that it will look that much better? Probably not. They might have a slightly easier time making some games and won't have to push the hardware as hard.

For example, if a developer made a game better for console A than B then at times fans for console B would get upset and possibly boycott the game because the company "didn't treat their console right." So the developer just doesn't push console A quite as much as they could and saves some money by doing that. They would get the same amount of money if sales are 75% A/25% B as 50% A/50% B so why care if they get every ounce of juice out of each console? They just try to make them even so that people won't cry foul all the time.

LOL nobody does that.  Trearch continues to make lazy cod ports on PS3, but nearly just as many people buy it on PS3 as they do on 360.  

psrock said:
I think the WiiU has more 1080p/60fps than PS4 which I can conclude that the WiiU is more powerful than the PS4. Right?

No you just can't count. :)

kowenicki said:
ethomaz said:

kowenicki said:

...and yet one is 60fps and one is 30fps.

ah well.

Fixed lighing vs. dinamic lighting tells you everything.

missing the point.... again.

the ps4 is "twice as powerful". Why cant it handle dynamic lighting at 60fps?

its a beast... a powerhouse, its TWICE as powerful as the ONE.

BF4 says high.