By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The F-word and Censorship

for you...

Freedom! I should have th... 15 71.43%

No, it should be censored... 3 14.29%

Results 3 14.29%

Total:21

Say it but don't directly call people fanboys, it can be seen as an insult no matter how true it may be

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Damn fanboys these days wanting to use the word fanboy, pathetic.

Torillian said:
You aren't allowed to insult other members on these forums, and we've deemed fanboy an insult so you aren't allowed to direct it at people here. Personally I think it's fine because I've never seen someone insult someone else in a thread and though "wow that was a really coherent and well thought out point". Never seen it actually add to the discussion.

So there you go, the word itself is not banned, but you can't direct it towards other users just like I can say idiot but I'm not allowed to describe another user as an idiot.

Yet people are allowed to insult people constantly onsite by inference which is shit.  Either you take a hard line or you don't, I'm sick of being insulted and a blind eye turned because someone doesn't explicitly say it.  And reporting does nothing about these situations.

slowmo said:
Torillian said:
You aren't allowed to insult other members on these forums, and we've deemed fanboy an insult so you aren't allowed to direct it at people here. Personally I think it's fine because I've never seen someone insult someone else in a thread and though "wow that was a really coherent and well thought out point". Never seen it actually add to the discussion.

So there you go, the word itself is not banned, but you can't direct it towards other users just like I can say idiot but I'm not allowed to describe another user as an idiot.

Yet people are allowed to insult people constantly onsite by inference which is shit.  Either you take a hard line or you don't, I'm sick of being insulted and a blind eye turned because someone doesn't explicitly say it.  And reporting does nothing about these situations.

I'd be curious to see an example and then I'll let you know my thoughts on the post.  

Torillian said:
slowmo said:
Torillian said:

I'd be curious to see an example and then I'll let you know my thoughts on the post.  

Hmm, I think I've seen some of those posts but I think a lot of them got moderated anyway.  I think sometimes it's about whether or not they get caught or whether the comment can actually be said to be implying what the user thinks it is.

However, it's possible to be, in a way, insulted directed even though the comment itself isn't direct. For example, I made someone upset because I did not agree with their opinion and was vocal about it.  This person is in another thread and references the previous post and makes the "inference" mentioned by slowmo using a previous conversation from another thread.  

Around the Network

Certain words on the level of 'Nigger'* and 'Cracker'* used to insult someone personally should definitely be investigated because these words carry the negative weight of real life history, however, words like 'fanboys' .... should not be put on the same level, it does not carry any negative weight as the one mentions do.

The word 'Fanboy' is not an exclusive word that singles out people because of race or gender, rather it's an inclusive word that is used to define a group of people who predominantly like a certain product irrespective of their race or gender.

As such, the mods should not even bother with forum people calling each other fanboys, after all there is nothing bad about being a fanboy. Don't get me wrong, the word fanboy can be used in a negative manner but the word it's self is not inherently bad.

It seems that more and more people are abusing the system to get people banned for simply using fanboy as if the person had made some gender or racial slur which clearly isn't the case, and instead of the moods acting accordingly they ban people for using Fanboy as if IT were a slur on the level of calling someone a 'Nigger'* or 'Cracker'* and this to me is stupid because it undermines the truly offensive words by trivializing them.

My two cents.

*I do not intend to insult anyone, rather to use the power these words have to illustrate a point, if you are insulted I do apologize in advance.