By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U and Why a New Product Requires New Experiences

EricFabian said:
BossPuma said:

OK, maybe the 3ds is more powerful than 50% but the specs are similar. The point is, Nintendo makes hardware that is hardly more powerful than the generation before it, and this time they got kicked in the ass because of it. They rely too much on past success, which was the same problem Sony had when they launched the Ps3.

and Rayman and Pikmin 3 were launch window games until they got delayed almost a year.

yes like GameCube ¬¬

If the GameCube launched a year earlier than it did and didn't look like a purple lunchbox, it probably would've done quite well. Probably SNES level numbers IMO, the XBox would've struggled being the last one out.

Should've launched it a year earlier and moved Perfect Dark and Zelda: Majora's Mask over as launch titles.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
If the GameCube launched a year earlier than it did and didn't look like a purple lunchbox, it probably would've done quite well. Probably SNES level numbers IMO, the XBox would've struggled being the last one out.

Should've launched it a year earlier and moved Perfect Dark and Zelda: Majora's Mask over as launch titles.

He said:

BossPuma said:

OK, maybe the 3ds is more powerful than 50% but the specs are similar. The point is, Nintendo makes hardware that is hardly more powerful than the generation before it, and this time they got kicked in the ass because of it. 

what is not true.

Click HERE and be happy 

BossPuma said:
MDMAlliance said:

bold: Where did you get that from? 

Then you have the 3DS that doesn't have as much details for its specs, but I know for sure that the 3DS isn't only "50% more powerful" than the PSP.

edit: "The Wii U's launch was not as good as it could have been, Rayman and Pikmin 3 were delayed for almost a year."
Both of those games were post-launch games, and therefore are post-launch problems.

OK, maybe the 3ds is more powerful than 50% but the specs are similar. The point is, Nintendo makes hardware that is hardly more powerful than the generation before it, and this time they got kicked in the ass because of it. They rely too much on past success, which was the same problem Sony had when they launched the Ps3.

and Rayman and Pikmin 3 were launch window games until they got delayed almost a year.

Yeah, and Nintendo failed on delivering launch window games and more, which I consider all post-launch material.  Nintendo didn't make the proper preparations to ensure a better post-launch that would have resulted in a good head start on the PS4 and XB1.

EricFabian said:
Soundwave said:

He said:

BossPuma said:

OK, maybe the 3ds is more powerful than 50% but the specs are similar. The point is, Nintendo makes hardware that is hardly more powerful than the generation before it, and this time they got kicked in the ass because of it. 

what is not true.

After the DS, it is true.

One of those 'super' chunk threads. 

Around the Network

I was planning on getting an XB1 at launch and a PS4 later down the road but I think I'll go XB1 and WiiU. I can't stand the Sony fan base anymore so I don't want to be a part of it. Nintendo I'm back.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

BossPuma said:
MDMAlliance said:
BossPuma said:

Nintendo has a marketing problem and they are too stubborn to give 3rd parties what they want, like Sony and Microsoft do.

I love Nintendo games but there is just too much competition for them to carry themselves alone, not to mention that they dropped the ball with about everything regarding the launch of the Wii U.

Honestly I'm not sure what the bold means.  Nintendo does do marketing but I do agree that their marketing efforts are weak in comparison to Sony and Microsoft.

I don't think we know much at all with what Nintendo is doing with/to their 3rd parties, or that their competition really gives that much of what their 3rd parties want.  Also, giving too much power to 3rd parties would make it that you no longer are in control of your own console, and I am pretty sure Nintendo doesn't want to give up all the control they have.  I do think, though, that they should reach out more to 3rd parties for exclusives (multiplats too, but it's not as important considering the power difference between the PS4/XB1 and Wii U, most will go for the other consoles).

The italics part, I think it's more post-launch than the launch itself.  Wii U launched well with a good lineup available at launch, they just didn't follow through.

I was talking about Nintendo making their system incredibly less powerful than the Ps4 and Xbone, that developers dont even want to bother with the Wii U especially when it wont bring them a huge profit. Nintendo has done it in the past with the Wii which was hardly more powerful than the original Xbox, and the 3ds which is around 50% more powerful than the PsP. And just because those systems are really successful, i have no idea why Nintendo decided to test their luck with 3rd parties again when the stakes are so high.

The Wii U's launch was not as good as it could have been, Rayman and Pikmin 3 were delayed for almost a year.

Well this is what I think. They did listen to developers mainly EA with their unprecident support and hang holding at E32012.  Then origin happened and we all knwo what happened there.

I think EA lead them down the wrong path with the false promise of games.

Saying all that Nintendo should have listened to more than EA and got a broader opinion on what devs wanted. However as many have ases before countless times on these forums would 3rd parties jump onboard? They sure didn't on  Gamecube or even Wii for that matter when it was market leader by a huge marging, so what would differ in this scenario? 

We  have heard many excuses from 3rd parties over the years why they don't develope games for Nintendo consoles like:

1. We can't compete with Nintendo games - a stupid reason cause the games they make don't compete with them as different genres.

2. The hardware is too weak.

3. Nintendo needs to grow the market for us - do they really? 3rd parties is what made Sony and Microsoft grow, so 4rd parties grw their markets.

4. We testing the waters on Wii - yer with crap games that no one asked for and even publically annouced theycrao by gamers.

5. We will develope when Wii U base grows - well PS4 and Xbox One is 0 atm, games sell consoles not console sell games.

6. Nintendo gamers are all talk - partially true as even the good ports that arent too old didn't sell well, but you won't convince them to waste money on watered down ports with missing features and at full retail price against better discounted versions. Not to mention some games that have launched had nice special editions on the other systems with bonus stuff like sound tracks and books but Wii U was jsut a standard game only.

etc..

The problem here is:

Nintendo is stubborn

3rd parties are stubborn

Nintendo gamers are stubborn

Until everyone stops being stubborn, Nintendo consoles will never flurish in an all round way like a sony or micrososft console. They will be destined to be NIntendo game consoles only and the Nintendo fan base is shrinking due to the fact their games have really offered no new experiences.

How can this change? well the best start is the gamers, they need to support games like Watch Dogs, Rayman, Splinter Cell to show that there is a market for 3rd parties. There litrally is no excuses as they will be launching at the same time or infact ahread of some versions. 

Cobretti2 said:
BossPuma said:
MDMAlliance said:
BossPuma said:

Nintendo has a marketing problem and they are too stubborn to give 3rd parties what they want, like Sony and Microsoft do.

I love Nintendo games but there is just too much competition for them to carry themselves alone, not to mention that they dropped the ball with about everything regarding the launch of the Wii U.

Honestly I'm not sure what the bold means.  Nintendo does do marketing but I do agree that their marketing efforts are weak in comparison to Sony and Microsoft.

I don't think we know much at all with what Nintendo is doing with/to their 3rd parties, or that their competition really gives that much of what their 3rd parties want.  Also, giving too much power to 3rd parties would make it that you no longer are in control of your own console, and I am pretty sure Nintendo doesn't want to give up all the control they have.  I do think, though, that they should reach out more to 3rd parties for exclusives (multiplats too, but it's not as important considering the power difference between the PS4/XB1 and Wii U, most will go for the other consoles).

The italics part, I think it's more post-launch than the launch itself.  Wii U launched well with a good lineup available at launch, they just didn't follow through.

I was talking about Nintendo making their system incredibly less powerful than the Ps4 and Xbone, that developers dont even want to bother with the Wii U especially when it wont bring them a huge profit. Nintendo has done it in the past with the Wii which was hardly more powerful than the original Xbox, and the 3ds which is around 50% more powerful than the PsP. And just because those systems are really successful, i have no idea why Nintendo decided to test their luck with 3rd parties again when the stakes are so high.

The Wii U's launch was not as good as it could have been, Rayman and Pikmin 3 were delayed for almost a year.

Well this is what I think. They did listen to developers mainly EA with their unprecident support and hang holding at E32012.  Then origin happened and we all knwo what happened there.

I think EA lead them down the wrong path with the false promise of games.

Saying all that Nintendo should have listened to more than EA and got a broader opinion on what devs wanted. However as many have ases before countless times on these forums would 3rd parties jump onboard? They sure didn't on  Gamecube or even Wii for that matter when it was market leader by a huge marging, so what would differ in this scenario? 

We  have heard many excuses from 3rd parties over the years why they don't develope games for Nintendo consoles like:

1. We can't compete with Nintendo games - a stupid reason cause the games they make don't compete with them as different genres.

2. The hardware is too weak.

3. Nintendo needs to grow the market for us - do they really? 3rd parties is what made Sony and Microsoft grow, so 4rd parties grw their markets.

4. We testing the waters on Wii - yer with crap games that no one asked for and even publically annouced theycrao by gamers.

5. We will develope when Wii U base grows - well PS4 and Xbox One is 0 atm, games sell consoles not console sell games.

6. Nintendo gamers are all talk - partially true as even the good ports that arent too old didn't sell well, but you won't convince them to waste money on watered down ports with missing features and at full retail price against better discounted versions. Not to mention some games that have launched had nice special editions on the other systems with bonus stuff like sound tracks and books but Wii U was jsut a standard game only.

etc..

The problem here is:

Nintendo is stubborn

3rd parties are stubborn

Nintendo gamers are stubborn

Until everyone stops being stubborn, Nintendo consoles will never flurish in an all round way like a sony or micrososft console. They will be destined to be NIntendo game consoles only and the Nintendo fan base is shrinking due to the fact their games have really offered no new experiences.

How can this change? well the best start is the gamers, they need to support games like Watch Dogs, Rayman, Splinter Cell to show that there is a market for 3rd parties. There litrally is no excuses as they will be launching at the same time or infact ahread of some versions. 

Why should I pay the same $59.99 for Watch Dogs on Wii U when the PS4 version at the same price likely will have higher resolution graphics (1080p), better visuals, and quite likely a better frame rate also?

I like to support Nintendo when it makes sense, but I'm not buying any multi-plat on the Wii U unless it's the best version of the game available to me.

As far as Rayman goes, Ubi Soft can suck it. I would have bought the game probably in spring or summer when there was no competetion, but in the fall I'd rather spend that money on Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3.

Soundwave said:

Why should I pay the same $59.99 for Watch Dogs on Wii U when the PS4 version at the same price likely will have higher resolution graphics (1080p), better visuals, and quite likely a better frame rate also?

I like to support Nintendo when it makes sense, but I'm not buying any multi-plat on the Wii U unless it's the best version of the game available to me.

As far as Rayman goes, Ubi Soft can suck it. I would have bought the game probably in spring or summer when there was no competetion, but in the fall I'd rather spend that money on Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3.

Is it actually confirmed PS4 and XB1 games are going to be $59.99?

BossPuma said:

After the DS, it is true.

yes. But you can't generalize

Click HERE and be happy