By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gamespot article reveals Valve's cut with steam sales.

30% is basically the industry digital standard. Its the same amount Apple and Google take for digital content they sell in their stores.

Once you include retail, packaging and shipping... I guarantee you retail takes a lot more than 30%. Especially when you consider that as the retail price drops... the packaging and shipping costs do not. Whereas that 30% on a digital item does.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
bananaking21 said:
that leaves the publisher with 42 bucks for a 60 dollar release. seems as a much more profitable option than retail

actually no, retailers are only getting 10 bucks per game

they pretty much get 15$ more bucks with steam. also, they dont have to worry about distribution or returns when a game drops in price. they would barely make a profit on 20$ games on retail but would make 14$ when its sold on steam. 

Don't forget tax. Every sale, digital or physical, is subject to sales tax. Here in the UK it's an astronomical 20% of the price of any item (with a few notable exceptions like fruit, milk and biscuits).

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

bananaking21 said:
oniyide said:
bananaking21 said:
that leaves the publisher with 42 bucks for a 60 dollar release. seems as a much more profitable option than retail

they pretty much get 15$ more bucks with steam. also, they dont have to worry about distribution or returns when a game drops in price. they would barely make a profit on 20$ games on retail but would make 14$ when its sold on steam. 

so retailers get 15 bucks, i was off by 5 bucks. who gets the returns?

sales2099 said:
pezus said:
sales2099 said:
That isn't possible. Valve is loved by all and wouldn't do such a thing!

You mean, they wouldn't take any money? 30% does not sound like a lot to me, since it includes a cost for Valve (running Steam)

Id say thats a rather large cut they are taking. Like bordering on criminal.

For the love of god or xbox. Do you ever think before you point your fingers at your keyboard? 30% is the standard cut charged by platform holders for digital content including yours truly Master Chief, all portable OS's such as ios, android and windows phone. 

Am curious do you say these kind of things just to get quoted by everyone or are you just ignorant to most things. 

Around the Network
green_sky said:
sales2099 said:

Id say thats a rather large cut they are taking. Like bordering on criminal.

For the love of god or xbox. Do you ever think before you point your fingers at your keyboard? 30% is the standard cut charged by platform holders including yours truly Master Chief, all portable OS's such as ios, android and windows phone. If it is criminal i can mail you the hippie forms to you. Fill them up and off from modern society. 

Am curious do you say these kind of things just to get quoted by everyone or are you just ignorant to most things. 

PC isn't my forte as it isn't owned by Sony or MS, so please forgive me in this regard lol. geez u meanie

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

oniyide said:
bananaking21 said:
oniyide said:
bananaking21 said:

the consumer, when they return their game  

sales2099 said:

PC isn't my forte as it isn't owned by Sony or MS, so please forgive me in this regard lol. geez u meanie

I was editing out the mean parts but you were too fast. You are repeat offender though. So maybe not so mean hehe. 

30% is the industry standard for all digital sales from all platform holders. Apple set that standard. It was originally thought to be high but it is pretty much standard now.

bananaking21 said:
oniyide said:
bananaking21 said:
oniyide said:
bananaking21 said:

the consumer, when they return their game  

Thats not  the only thing that referst to. Thats the money publishers spend when they have to return overstocks from retailers. 7bucks is the average but that price probably fluctuates.